Seasoning oil for frying

Doesn't seem to get mentioned often in recipes, but do you do anything special to prepare your oil when you fry or deep fry things?

Chinese restaurants deep fry spices and aromats to makes batches of cooking oil, Edna Lewis' fried chicken recipe uses country ham and butter fried in lard, supposedly the best carnitas places benefit from using a rolling vat of lard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xQBdvoOkn3E?t=1m10s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

McDonalds has mastered this art. That's why their fries are so good. Although I don't really know if you can call it seasoned when all they do is not change their oil for months.

I only make sure that at least 1/3 of my oil is strained old shit.

McDonald's fries taste like they do because they sprinkle them with beef flavoring when they salt them.

Protein coming through, I usually try and fry bacon in my fresh oil or at least early in the cycle, the gift that keeps on giving. Anybody know how long oil will keep in a iron skillet stored in my oven with no lid?

MacDonalds fries are good? They taste like shit in Canada. They dont even salt them.

you're retarded
they use beef flavoring (artificial at this point) at the factories that produce their fries before being frozen

Sometimes when I cook indian style food I fry whole spices in my oil/ghee and strain out the small shit before I throw in the onions/ginger-garlic.

I like to use cracked green cardamom, cumin seed, cloves, cinnamon stick, black peppercorns, and coriander. They really add a nice depth to the overall dish.

bump for interest

neat

this is the way to do it

smells like god is sticking his dick down your nose when those spices start crackling

You guys are living in the past. This is no longer true.

It will go rancid pretty quick. You still start to notice it after a week or so.

It will never go "bad", but it will taste awful.

Oil goes rancid pretty quick when exposed to air.

Keeping it in the dark oven will help extend its life by maybe another week.

Nothin like a good old fashioned god-dicking up the nostrils.

youtu.be/xQBdvoOkn3E?t=1m10s

Here's a Chinese example. Apparently it's good for using in things like dim sum fillings where you're not going to fry the ingredients.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but Italian cuisine does something like you describe.
Aromatics are fried in oil then the oil is used to build the dish. South Asian cuisines do something similar, but in reverse where the dish is cooked with as little oil as possible then, at the end, aromatics and spices are fried in oil, clarified butter or other cooking fat and the stuff is poured over and mixed into the cooked dish.

I fry a whole, dried chilli in a little cooking oil, then remove the chilli when fragrant and use that oil to cook a fried cheese sandwich. Gives the sandwich a hot taste without adding the chilli itself directly.

I also make shallot oil and garlic oil for some dishes where I thinly slice shallot or garlic, put it into cold oil, heat until just fragrant, then off the heat and let to crisp the sliced aromatics, then strain. Thereafter, the aromatics can be used as a garnish and the flavoured oil itself used to fry things in. Chilli-and-garlic bullseye eggs are really nice.

So, did I misunderstand what you meant or is that what you were talking about, OP?

Seasoning oils aren't heat stable. For frying you want oils from nuts or legumes.

Roasted sesame oil adds a nice kick.

Fats dissolve flavor, so frying your herbs and spices puts their flavor in the oil and spreads it around the food. Use low heat and take care not to burn anything.

I don't deep fry, but I usually fry a masala before putting the meat or veggies in the pan. Some lovage in the oil makes for a great ratatouille. For curries a bunch of ayurvedic spices make a great base. Peanut oil by itself is wonderful for frying potatoes. But the extra vergine olive oil is added AFTER cooking or its expensive flavor is lost.

mcdonalds doesn't season their friers, they coat their fries in like 14 different chemicals

Kek'd

Deep frying temperatures destabilizes and burns spices and impurities in oil. Anyone who does something like you describe for deep frying is behind on their science.

When you pan fry, however, adding some garlic or chili peppers to oil and then removing them before they burns can be done to prep oil that you will immediately use. Adding spices however is just to bloom their flavors, and wouldn't be cooked to death. Cumin seeds benefit.

Using lard is fine for baking and pan frying, as is bacon fat. Duckfat is good more like olive oil, at lower temp frying, it's delicious, as is schmaltz, the chicken fat that adds chicken flavor to dumplings and casseroles.

Hispanics saute a bit of sofrito or mojito in the oil before their one pot kind of dishes, or drizzle that oil over the finished meat. It can go towards escabeche with vinegar and citrus too.

In other words, OP, give it a rest this discovery. It's a bad idea. Garlic gets horribly bitter when overcooked.

Basically, yeah. Just adding something instead of using a neutral cooking oil. Chilli cheese sandwich sounds amazing; I'm doing that next time.

Is that really true? If deep frying spice burned them then any deep fried Indian things wouldn't work.

Are you talking about dough wrapped things like samosas? Or things breaded like fritters?

Stuff like onion bhaji where the spices are in the batter.

I do it all the time since it's the oil that gives it flavor. Here's my recipe:
1 washed diced onion
several sprigs of cleaned basil
5 cloves of washed chopped garlic
1.5 cups of vegetable oil
Cook until the oil turns golden brown then strain the onion, garlic, and basil out.
Flavored oil, WA LA

>Chinese restaurants deep fry spices and aromats

Stir frying is not the same as deep frying.

The former involves using only a small amount of fat or oil at a high heat, stirring food in it for only short periods of time.

Worst case: the food is overcooked, lost its rigidity, but still tastes good.

>to makes batches of cooking oil

wut?

>i'm an authority on this subject even though i have no idea what i'm talking about!!! listen to me! cower before my superior half-knowledge on the subject and despair, mortals!!! i've eaten real chinese food, like walnut shrimp and chicken almond ding, so i, like, totes know what i'm talking about!!!
#lolwhitepeople

They use an entirely different recipe because of laws about vegetable dishes and trans fats in cooking.

It's the same reason Taco Bell has terrible tortillas and fried chicken is only good in the US south. Lard and vegetable shortening are magical, but will make you super fat.

God damn Big Sugar trashing fats and ruining our fries.

What OP described wasn't stir frying though.

thanks for constructive post
good job

Yes?

Who are you quoting?

The only good way to make carnitas is with a huge bucket of lard and a giant ass pot over a wood fire