$72,100 per year

>$72,100 per year
Why is the education at Harvard University worth 5x the education at Oxford University?

Cost is different, doesn't mean the value is...

>britbong "university"

because the cost of Oxford is subsidized by people from all parts of England
only harvard students pay for harvard

harvard gives 100% of need based financial aid if you get in

"need based", AKA regardless of whether or not your parents plan to contribute to your education, if you're middle class you have to pay the full value of tuition.

Depends on how you define middle class

70% of students here get some sort of financial aid and about 22%ish pay nothing

That financial aid includes loans with outrageous interest rates. The current state of tuition rates in the US is insane

>Veeky Forums - Science & Math

I got accepted at Carnegie Mellon for comp sci but couldn't go, as it would have required me to take on about $250,000 of debt just for a BS. I come from a very average family, and the only aid I was offered were loans

Similar situation.

No it doesn't, I get significant financial aid at no expense and my parents make $73kish a year combined. Please stop talking about things you don't know about.

Are you white? That is my problem my family is lower middle class and we are white. Impossible to get any grants with my skin in this condition

>caring about money

Tell your parents to stop claiming you as a dependent, then you can get good grants and scholarships that are worth more than your parents tax credit. Same shit happened to me until I hit 25, went back to school and my pathetic retail job put me under the poverty line

I was accepted and only offered loans. I know exactly what I am talking about.

Fuck off, your word is not law. Financial "aid" absolutely does include 'loans with outrageous interest rates'

How hard is it to convert to Islam faggot?

this is america, no one gives a fuck about muslims

>$250,000 for a BS
AHAHAHAHA FUCKING AMERIKEKS
A European BS costs $0.

FYI all the highly rated private schools have plenty of scholarship money to students who are qualified, getting admitted with no aid is sort of like being put on the waitlist, like "hey you're almost good enough but we don't really have a spot for you unless you find a quarter of a million dollars for us"

>Spending half a million on ivy league
>Not earning a full scholarship at a state college next to an Ivy league school
>Professors at state school work with Ivy league professors
>Get you the same type of work the ivy undergrads have through those connections

Most of the material is the same in all universities

>living in some shithole state in the north east with a crappy state university system

>Professors at state school work with Ivy league professors
I've been saying this for years. Princeton or Arizona State it's the same fucking guys, they rotate between universities

Billions of people would kill for an American education. Be more grateful.

Yes I'm white and my family made less than $40,000 combined.

The only logical explanation is that americans really hate to have money. Fucking despise it, throw it anywhere they can.

I mean, that or americans are allowing institutions to buttfuck them hard by inflating costs to pay salaries in the millions to the coach and dean, and to hire more non-academic faculty.

But that would be absurd! The United States is full of highly intellectual individuals who would call out such a system the moment it was instituted!

Therefore, americans hate money.

Or Americans hate education and want to punish you for trying to get one.

>go to state school in CT
>A lot of my professors are assistant professors who research with Yale studies or work with Yale affiliated private research facilities

>Work my ass off, actually interested in what the professors do and pick their brains

>they get me research internships on Yale studies and other private research

>Also introduce me to Professors at good PhD programs

>When I graduate I can get a well paying job right away or get accepted to a good PhD program

Yea, a lot of them are just associate professors trying to get tenure and switch to another university when they realize they won't get it

what the fuck are you talking about. most student loans have lower interest rates than what anyone with a good credit rating would be able to get from a private bank. Specially direct subsidized loans, and interest doesn't even being to accrue on those until about 6 months after you finish school.
Just cause you majored in the moral philosophical implications of mexican basket weaving and now can't pay back your loans doesn't mean the system is fucked.

yea but a european education is worth $0 as well.

Where was Relativity discovered?

Interest rates depend on what kind of loan you're getting you dumb fuck. To say that student loans have lower rates than any other ones from a bank is flat out wrong and a stupid, uninformed way to talk. Stafford loans (which have the lowest interest rate of all student loans) are 4.29% while anyone who isnt a dumbfuck nigger can get mortgage rate or a small business loan with a rate a full percentage point below that. I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about, so you decided to yell and project in your post. I am . I don't know why you even bothered replying to me seeing as how you didn't dispute anything that I said (which you shouldn't because I stated a plain fact). But please, continue to make up a life for me based on nothing so that you can feel better about your own stupidity

Are American universities beginning to fall behind?

well heres my two cents if it means anything. I go to a top 5 university in the us but not harvard, and my tuition was covered almost completely, they still wanted me to pay $2000 a year though. however i got scholarships to cover this and the health care so I didnt have to get a job to pay it off.

I pay 3.5k a year at Oxford feelsgoodman

the difference is how the credit is calculated...someone getting a mortgage, car loan etc has some collateral backing the loan, and to get a better rate you need years of building your credit, virtually no entering college students have an extensive credit history and when the product is a degree there is no collateral and no way of guaranteeing they will ever be able to pay off the loan.

but anyone pretending the system isn't fucked at this point just obviously has no idea wtf is going on.

no, not at all. there are a large number of american students getting educations from third-rate institutions that are worth basically nothing. but the higher tier US universities are still generally better than foreign institutions, this includes the top state schools. and the very top universities, the Ivy league, MIT, Stanford etc, still lead the world (alongside a select few like oxbridge) and their lead over foreign universities continues to grow as more and more they become global, rather than just american, institutions.

not the guy you quoted but student loans not being collateralized is irrelevant because student loans, even private student loans, are non-dischargable except by death or severe disability. you can't logically argue in favor of higher interest rates (or non-zero interest rates).

How was your tuition completely covered?

because as was already mentioned, top US schools have extrordinarly generous financial aid programs

>you can't logically argue in favor of higher interest rates (or non-zero interest rates).
You can't logically argue that not being able to get out of debt means paying a fair value for it.

If someone borrows $200,000 for a degree at 5% interest and ends up getting a job making $25,000 a year, they are never going to pay that off, period. They may make minimum payments for their entire working career, they are never going to fully pay off that principal, and even if it takes 30 or 40 years to fully pay the debt, the value of all their payments is far less than the interest that could have been accrued putting the money in a more productive investment.

Without such laws and federal subsidies, if student lending was done based unrestricted on market rates with default risk, students would be paying 10%+ on their loans in order to ensure an equally profitable return to the lender as other investments. Well, really, if there weren't legal restrictions different courses of study would qualify for different rates and engineering students, for example, would be paying like 2-4% while literature and philosophy majors would be paying 25%+, but that's both exploitable and a bit too cutthroat.