Trying to decide the name for my main character

>Trying to decide the name for my main character

I've been at this for 2 hours and I just can't, it feels like such a massive decision, and I'll have to do this for every character.
How do you guys decide on one?

I usually just use my own name but with a cool surname like "Pussyslayer" or "Steeldick"

i ask on Veeky Forums, and make my decision based on which post gets dubs

in this case, mine, in which case, you will name your main character Lesbia

Here are some suggestions

Bob Sapper
Numinous Roydog
Faglord Supreme

Name him Chad Turbocock

Try out 'Wag Tideforce' and see how it feels.

Use English words translated to Latin.

Why not have no name? I've seen some books pull that off fairly well.

Just use nicknames
then everybody can have a fun story about how they got them

Go with 'Obadiah Shecklesworth'

Ezra if he's a good guy.
Eli if he's a bad guy.

'Ervine Dopple, Prestige Lord Eminent, the 4th'

I spent 3 months deciding on one of my main characters, a little under a month on the other.
Basically I just kept going until it sounded right to me. I also used name meanings and word entomology to pick names that might work.

Pick some random name from the freakin' Bible my nizzle

This is harry potter-tier.

Just figure it out later. You'll come up with something good after they start doing things and have character that just exist only within the confines of your demented little brain.

Blackheart Darkmoon of the Shadowflame

Gregory Berrycone, and then just variatons of that for other characters, such as Gregaria Pinecone, Gerald Blosscone, and Gertrude Sniffcone.

First you have to fully realize the main characters parents as characters. Then you'll know what they would have named the main character.

Do this for as many generations back as you like.

Just insert a random name and move on

Richard... Sometimes people call him Dick

It would have to have a mythological meaning, or is a reference to an abstract/metaphorical figure like Hay bin Yakzan or Solomon

Two of my main characters got the surnames Solberg and Steinberg, respectively. I regret nothing.

>2 hours
Just call him Protag or Guy or Kid or Lady or whatever and get to writing.
Then when you think of something you can go back and change it. That's what I do.

Also, go through your old yearbooks for name ideas

I take names from memorials or graveyards.

I like to choose a Japanese name, especially if the character is not from Japan.

Gets the reader to start asking questions and really get involved in the story.

Nowanaga Dokumonodo. Don't take that one though. It's mine.

>Nowanaga Dokumonodo

Sounds pretty cool, I'll use that

I like this.

I name my characters after concepts in an attempt to sound smart. Like Onan Nonce, onan coming from onanism/masturbation and nonce coming from a slang for paedophiles in jail

Give them some meaning or historical context. For example my protagonists mother is named Mary Pretoria Cromwell, Cromwell just sounds nice while Mary is a reference to the immaculate conception because the protagonist never knew his father. Pretoria was an important battlefield during the burish war, and because the englishmen won many natinalists named their children after won battles during that time. Anothers name is Dr. Coslov, which is an actual russian last name and translates to goat. He's named goat because he has a goat-like beard and ties to satanism which uses the goat as a symbol.

John Smith. It's not like it actually matters, though, because you'll never get published.

I'm writing a story about Jabroney Autistica and his travels through the hidden realm of Stonehenge. Basically he activates Stonehenge by sacrificing his long lost twin brother, and enters another dimension where dinosaurs are still alive, and science at a much more advanced level.

>Implying im not self publishing

Do you want the name to mean anything?

If yes, then post more about your character ortherwise there's no way anyone could help you.

If no, then go on a random name generator appropriate for your character (US names, polish names, chinese names etc.) and go through until you find something that you like.

call him Stanky Leg

Harry potter sold more books in 1 day than you ever will.

Desmond.

Biliardo Azzatore

He's a 37 year old American, from Maine specifically just out of Prison for manslaughter of his brother in-law
current year is 2010

Steven Kings.

Family background? Catholic/Protestant, Irish descent? French? German? Black?

Right, by posting this I assume you do actually want his name to reflect him, so try to think about what this character means. Could be in general, or specifically to you, but you need some kind of meaning associated with his name.

Is he frustrated with the system that put him in prison, or is he grateful, maybe he's become nihilistic?

What kind of man is he? Is he the kind who appreciates brevity, or does he lark about in the local park when he has a free sunday afternoon?

What does he think of the time he's in? Is he happy with the world? What does he want changed? Is he the man to go about it, or would he rather let someone else do it instead?

Is he destined for great things, or will he peter into nothing?

Catholic family of Scottish descent, parents and grandparents are all white

I've come up with many names for my Crusader Kings 2 characters so I have lots of experience

Jimmy Tuldgers
Bob Lankson
Riff Chips
Darrel Dangiesen
Fliffer Toopes
Gary Zalanopy
Aaron Penks
Saffy Tigs

postmodern/10

Tyrone Mexico
Roger Slothrop
Pirate Pointsman
Katja Prentice

No one actually reads Pynchon

I just use generic placeholder names that end up sticking because I never finish writing the story.

Bob
Steve
Frank
Joe
etc.

Honestly I have a hard time making character names if they aren't puns.

Unless it's fantasy I go generic.

Steffen Nolte
Dusan Kriz
Jacques Lambert
Leon Nycephorus
Gilbert Meyer
Ainsley Bradford
Mihail Danesti
Petr Czarneki

Fud Cunderthunk

Slit Cuthington
Phoebe Kuthulu Jones
Chubby Shmooboo
Apollo Thriplette

Make them amusing, not serious.

You're not making the Bible 2.0 so it's not that crucial to "get it right."

Darius Kings

Pick one and write the fucking story. You can change them later. Unless the point of the story is that the characters' names are ironic or allusions or something, it doesn't matter all that much. Just think of characters as people you know, and the names will come. Don't get hung up on it.

>Bible 2.0
>mfw in the book of Mormon everyone has obscure as fuck names

Daniel Fauster Willis

>Catholic family of Scottish descent
Most likely a highlander then, depending on when they migrated. Could also be a Taig from Glasgow if that's the case use Irish names.

William MacLeod? Malcolm Campbell? Thomas Cameron? Alistair Grant?

Are there any other elements you would like to reference? aspects of his character,background, personality, references to plot, etc?

Don't be a Moron.

You could always do something thats a bit funny. Also depends how the story is narrated: for example, if the main character narrates he may give himself a name reflecting how he sees himself, whereas if someone else narrates his name would be how they see him, or if its meant to be more or less factual then his name would be completely irrelevant

I've been developing my main character for five years now and still don't have a name for him. Not because I'm forcing it though, who gives a shit about a name.

I didn't even bother naming my character. He is an asshole/me and not worthy of humanization.

Hugely underated post

Also this

What's the longest character ID you have ever created?

are u playing runescape too

kek

i take it you're new to writing fiction? welcome to the club. some characters leap from your mind to the page nearly fully intact, name and all, while others you have to struggle with every single aspect of their personality, name included. i use placeholders with the latter for first drafts and usually have their name's and backgrounds by the second.