So i'm 26 and and i've only recently gotten in to reading...

So i'm 26 and and i've only recently gotten in to reading. I've lurked a while and i've checked the sticky and have been reading some of the starter kit books.

I was wondering what non fiction books you recommened for someone new to reading? The starter kit only has fiction and the only other list I saw was the Greeks.

The Greeks.

What subjects do you enjoy/want to read about?

What are you interested in reading about?

the greeks

Just pick a subject you're interested in and read something that looks accessible.

I see Storm of Steel posted here quite often but I know nothing about it

Already ordered the illiad/odyssey a myth book and allan blooms republic

Well i'm interested in everything, the problem is I know fuck all and i'm tired of it. Politics, economics, art, memoirs, science. I'm interested in Rome and the history of China, India, Persia/Iran.

I'll take suggestions for books you personally find interesting as well.

Best history of India is India: A History
by John Keay. And of course you should read Kim

The guns of August is a good book about the start of WW1, which is a major turning point in history (the death of the old world). It reads like a novel.

Will check them out, thank you.

>Art
E.H. Gombrich: The Story of Art (nice overview of the entire history of art)
Robert Hughes: The Shock of the New (focus on Modern art. It's also a documentary hosted by the author)

>Science
Richard Dawkins: The Blind Watchmaker (ignore the athiest memery he's most known for. This is a good introduction to Darwinism)
Bill Bryson: A Short History of Nearly Everything (dude's not a scientist, but this is still an accessible and charming intro to lots of areas of science)
James Gleick: Isaac Newton, and Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman

>History
Tony Judt: Post-War (enormous book about post-war Europe)
Kapuscinski: Shah of Shahs (about the last Shah of Iran)
Jonathan Fenby: Penguin History of Modern China

>Memoir
TE Lawrence: The Seven Pillars of Wisdom (it's freakin Lawrence of Arabia)
George Orwell's memoirs

And of course it's always helpful to browse bookstores and sample what looks interesting and decide for yourself.

Thanks.

Why you want to read suddenly?
Just curious

Tried of not knowing anything. Not reading shuts a lot out of the world.

I'm trying to spend my time in better pursuits and making changes in my life to be better.

Discussion of a topic: Veeky Forums
Looking for works of non-fiction: Veeky Forums

No. Unless you make a thread about a specific history book, it doesn't belong on Veeky Forums, it's Veeky Forums. And why wouldn't tyou ask a board that's well-versed in history versus a board that can barely read shit meme fiction?

History was only one subject, I asked about a few so assumed it would be better here.

Read the sticky. Veeky Forums is not a general purpose board.

Alright, my bad then. Just let the thread die. I'll check Veeky Forums.

>""""reading"""" only non-fiction
wew lad, fuck off back to /pol/

Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction)

Note fucking non-fiction plebs. I recommend you read the sticky before you spout shit.

Christ, the guy wants to read and you fucks run him off.