Coffee thread

Is there any difference between using a cheap moka pot and a Bialetti?

amazon.com/VonShef-Italian-Espresso-Coffee-Macchinetta/dp/B00DYV4IZA/ref=pd_cart_wl_2_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BSYCJADSJT50MD7H3YC6

amazon.com/dp/B00164QTY0/ref=psdc_14163721_t2_B00DYV4IZA

These things are dirt cheap to the point of suspicion

coffee general thread

Other urls found in this thread:

bialetti.com/coffee/replacement-parts-c-1_73.html?zenid=u1pdav6pb36lhpotjhnrpoll42
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I got a moka pot for maybe 20 euros about a year ago, use it most days, tastes good to me.

yeah get the compression pop top bialleti. It gives way better crema

Thinner aluminum probably.

I'd stick with Bialetti just to be safe.

I just replaced my Ikea one I've been using for a year with a Bialetti.

I didn't even know it was so bad before. The Ikea one gurgled and bubbled the whole time the coffee was coming out whereas the Bialetti comes out in an even, smooth flow.

The ikea one needed the top to be twisted on really tight whereas the Bialetti sits nice on firmly with a light twist.

The Bialetti is all-round sturdier and better construction as well.

That being said Bialetti isn't the only brand that makes decent ones

How does one clean the bottom part of bialetti?

why would you clean a moka pot?

why would you clean your house?

I mean, you do not clean it with soap right?

Buildup will contribute to bitter taste, Italians are completely fucking delusional when they refer to an uncleaned one as 'seasoned'.

I've used Bialetti mokas all my life, recently I bought a cheap one and I sense no difference in the coffee. The moka is considerably lighter though.

It's mainly the build, handle and lid hinge are more solid the screw threads smoother so you don't have to force it and it doesn't jam. the alessi ones are good to.

I () just rinse mine with hot water shortly after use and wipe down any brown bits left behind

Other user is right about the delusion of build up. Makes it taste like old, bitter, stale coffee

Anyone recommend any good recipes?
Typically I just use an espresso roast in my french press and sweeten it with hot chocolate mix and add foamed milk on top.

get a decently roasted single-origin instead of commodity coffee burned into charcoal

>moka pot
>current year
U N D R I N K A B L E

pour over, french press, turkish/greek, and percolation are the only acceptable brewing methods. pressure a shit, immersion best

Any recommendations?
I usually pickup lavazza brand at the local market.

i use something called k-cups in a keurig machine

French Press tastes like dirt

Only thing I hate about these things are the flimsy handles, even on a bialetti.
Illya is a great preground coffee if you like burning money, gevalia isn't bad either, and single origin (like that matters.)
If you want to go the extra mile try grinding your own in a burr grinder.
Most coffee shops will sell you whole bean coffee and likely grind it for you if you want.

pretty much anything off happymug. i'm enjoying a cup of their yirgicheffe IDIDO right now

I have a few questions.
>Should i invest in a conical burr grinder if i have a blade grinder now?
>Should i get a ceramic sealed container for my roasted beans if im currently using platic tupperware?
>Does any of this make that much of a difference? ..especially if im not using high end beans.

1: Yes

2: I use mason jars to store the locally roasted beans I buy. Never had any trouble.

3: Especially if you're not using high end beans. If you buy your beans from Starbucks, for example, they're already a few months stale in that vacuum bag. You want them to stay fresh as long as possible.

Air tight is best if you typically take a while to finish your beans.

Also, blade grinders are inconsistent as fuck and put a lot of friction on the beans.

I can eek out a decent grind on a shitty blade grinder by pulsing it. Holding the button down causes heat which ruins the bean, and gives you a really uneven grind unless you pulverize the beans to dust. They cannot produce a consistent course grind, but they can make a medium or fine grind of equal quality to a burr grinder if you finesse it. Just my two cents from years of MavGyver coffee brewing.

>folgers always tasted decent
>buy fresh can
>smells burnt
>tastes like ass

What am i supposed to do now?

>mfw I forgot my Bialetti on the stove while taking a shit
>mfw it probably sat there for like over 20 minutes
>mfw the plastic handle and even the rubber ring on the inside of it melted completely
>mfw I'm since the stuck to using a shit-tier coffee strainer
>whylive.wav

If you guys want I can post some pics so you can measure my suffering.

>since then

fix'd

The bottom half of my Bialetti started growing mold on the inside, I don't know why since I only ever put coffee grounds in it. I don't think it's dishwasher safe and I'm too lazy to clean it by hand so idk I just use the shitty coffer maker I think came from a garage sale.

No it doesn't

Share with your brothers

yes it does

A french press is literally a simple machine. All it does is filter the grounds from the coffee. The taste depends on beans used, temp of water, how long you let it steep, etc.

post the bloody pics ffs

My flatmate left our Bialetti on gas for over an hour.

He bought as new seal and I really didn't notice the difference. Might even be better now with the new seal, the old one was a bit perished and old.

You don't know what the fuck you're doing then.

I've put mine on the stove without water a couple of times, but noticed when the coffee didn't come up in the usual time. No real damage except the wasted dose of coffee grind.

how do you make your latte? do you prefer a macchiato?

Here you go bois.
As you can see, the black plastic handle has melt down completely. The inner rubber ring melted and there are now pieces of it stuck stuck to the funnel, along with some burnt coffee grind. The worst is the filter on the underside of the coffee collector: as you can see in the detail, the rubber that melt down stuck to it completely, and I have no idea if that can even be fixed. I guess I can manage the rest: I'd just have to scrub those nasty-ass sticky rubber remains from the funnel, and, concerning the handle, I think I can do as my father did when he let the exact same thing happen to his moka pot and adapt a small piece of wood as a makeshift handle. Only thing I have no idea how to fix is that fucking filter.

Also bonus pic: my fucking pissballs shitsauce asscream niggerfaggot turdfuck nasty-ass coffee strainer. I fucking hate it.

I can tell you right now Imusa makes solid shit.

And from looking at them, I prefer the Imusa handle.

Mah nigga.
I have nothing against presses or any of that other shit, but just a simple keurig is all I need. Drinking a Panera Columbian roast coffee as we speak.

Speaking of keurig, does anyone else find it weird that the McDonald's kcups cost more than the Starbucks ones? They're always at least a full dollar more, no matter what store I go to. One place had them at 2 dollars more per box.

Thanks for sharing!

>put moka pot on stove
>leaves room for 20 mins
what did you think was going to happen?

i'm guessing you're a poorfag so you can probably clean the moka pot up with some vinegar or lemon juice or bleach or something and then just get a new rubber ring (if it needs one). handle it with tongs or an oven mitt or a tea towel when it's hot.
then enjoy better coffee than that "fucking pissballs shitsauce asscream niggerfaggot turdfuck nasty-ass coffee strainer" . lel

Gross for drinking, the environment and your wallet.
Can anyone recommend a good method to brew coffee while bike touring/camping?
I'm thinking my bialetti will be fine but I've never used it on anything but the stove. My other options are french press or pour over and I have zero experience with either.

Steel coffee filter

Yay or nay?

Research the shit out of it.

It's obviously not disposable, so you'll have to clean it.

At the moment I was hungover as fuck, headache hurtin' so bad I couldn't think straight. Just left the pot on the fire and went into the bathroom to take a shit and forgot about it. Feels bad.
Also I plan on cleaning the metal parts with lemon juice and soda. What I have no idea how to clean up is the molten rubber that stuck to the filter. I suspect I'll have to buy another one, hope it's not too expensive.

tfw 40-50 days shipping
tfw I fell for the meme

>coffee beans
>40-50 days

They better be vacuum packed and in refrigerated storage.

Especially for the price you must've paid.

you know they pick those up at the base of the trees after the local animals shit them out onto the floor right?

Nope, you must be thinking about kopi luwak

Wrong country.

You're wrong. If you like it then that is fine but blade grinders can't touch the even particle size of a good burr grinder not to mention you get tons of fines.

Look up recipes for the Nel. Same basic thing as what you are doing though probably with a smaller micron bag.

Give me one reason not to get a a Keurig.

The coffee is terrible and they are over priced. There's two.

The coffee is amazing and I'm not poor.

Try again.

If you like it then that is awesome but objectively it is not "great"

The coffee is long since stale and commodity grade, the water is not at proper temperature, and the extraction time is off.

If you like folgers or flavored coffee then you will probably be fine with a keurig but great it is not.

Overpriced doesn't have anything to do with whether you are poor or not either.

you clean them infrequently

they're right about the seasoning until the seasoning goes rancid

Because it's cheaper to get a french press with a pound of coffee

It isn't better than a drip machine.

You can buy a good drip machine for the same amount of money.

>Some sock on a plastic ring
kek

You're not supposed to put it on such high heat. It shouldn't burn that much in 20 minutes if it started full of water.
Get parts. The rubber should be easy to find, try to get a filter and plastic parts too.
Ask /diy/ what to use to clean it. I'd try acetone.

moka pots are cool but they have to cool off before reuse so they suck for multiple people or double hitters

>drip machine
>good

pick one

How about I pick 9

Technivorm Moccamaster
Brazen Plus Customizable Temperature Control Brew System
KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802
KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB)
Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)
Bonavita BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer
OXO On 9-Cup Coffee Maker
OXO On 12-Cup Coffee Maker
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker

Oh and that isn't even counting some of the more commercial lever stuff like the Poursteady or things like the Ratio

oh nice scaa pasta

75% of those are shit

literally all scaa does is a bunch of bullshit so fagots like you will buy a product

Nice logical fallacies. Good to see ck hasn't changed.

aww somebody is butthurt

i was debating coffee machines online and got called out on logical fallacies.

how the fuck did i get here.

what significant points does scaa test besides "muh boiler temperature"

im not butthurt because i didn't pay $150+ on a drip maker when a $50 is just as good

>so butthurt he triple posts

I don't see anything that cannot be replaced or rehabilitated.

bialetti.com/coffee/replacement-parts-c-1_73.html?zenid=u1pdav6pb36lhpotjhnrpoll42

Hey guys my girl wants an espresso machine for her birthday. Can anyone suggest a good machine that will last her long after I drop her ass? My budget is ~100$

Best bet is a Mokka pot and something to steam milk with like a bellman steamer.

Absolute minimum you can get away with spending is about $400 for a Gaggia Classic and a Lido E if you want real espresso.

Interesting. I was going to get her a bunch of other gifts but I could just do the espresso. Is there a market for used machines?

Ebay and craigslist have used machines for a good price sometimes. Also wholelattelove and home-barista.com have refurbs and used stuff sometimes.

See

Is the Nespresso decent for a pleb espresso machine if I get the re-useable cups?

Getting tired of my French press and looking to upgrade, what would be a "better" way to brew? I was thinking chemex

Chemex is a completely different way to brew more than a better way to brew. Its a pour over versus immersion. Its really a whole different style and each have their own pros and cons.

If you like full immersion and want something different check out the clever or the aeropress.

If you want to get into pour overs I would recommend starting with the Kalita Wave 185 first. Its a much more forgiving pour over compared to the Chemex and V60 and is great to learn on.

One good thing about the Chemex is that you can buy the Able Kone for it giving you a more bodied cup similar in a way to a FP. The Aeropress has something similar as well called the Able Disk which servers the same purpose which is to let more of the oils through compared to paper filters.

You could get a pretty decent espresso machine for around the same price as a nespresso. That said it does take some dedication and time to get it right. If you typically drink milk based espresso drinks or don't really care too much about making really good espresso and are fine with pretty okay "espresso" the nespresso isn't a bad option.

get a moka pot and stfu

Basically my setup (slightly different Lido model)
Can confirm you get really nice results

Even then. If they weren't s100% of the time with no chance to thaw, in individual serving sizes to take out for each cup (and moved to the purchasers freezer directly from the frozen truck) they're not worth what you paid now. Only way to keep coffee passable that long.

A blade grinder can easily equal the crap $30 electric burr grinders. You won't come within a tenth of even an Encore, much less something like an EK43 or Ditting.

The water doesn't get hot enough, resulting in sour coffee
The dose of coffee is too small, resulting in bitter coffee
The grounds are inherently unevenly extracted
The pods are low quality overpriced coffee and the aftermarket refillable ones are shoddy at best
The company installs DRM in their machines
I could go on but that should be more than plenty

Batch brewers like the Fetco are great. It's not quiiiiite a standard pourover, but works very similarly. Note that a Fetco dialed in by YOU (or me) won't beat a pourover by the best of the best, but dialed by tasting experts it'll wipe the floor with any paper filter pourover every time. Non paper filter isn't better, just not comparable.

A standard drip machine, even the ones like the Techinivorm, is too inflexible to consistently beat the best pourover for every given coffee. Sometimes the standard parameters may be perfect for a particular coffee, but not every time.

That being said, a Bonavita brewer with an EK43 is going to absolutely destroy a Fetco with a Hario hand grinder or Encore. Don't go buy a Fetco without a great grinder first.

Chemex is nice. Personally my favorite pourover is the Hario Woodneck since you can do some really interesting things with the cloth filter.

Will never make more than passable espresso and the resuables are supposedly crap. But, you have to spend at very least six times as much for a halfway ok setup. And learn to use it. Nesprsso is passable enough for cheap.

Wave is nice.

>A blade grinder can easily equal the crap $30 electric burr grinders.
scientifically impossible. opinion discarded.

>can't drink more than 4c of coffee per day without getting an accelerated heartrate and sleep troubles
life is suffering

>thaw

The purpose of putting vacuum-packed things into refrigeration isn't to freeze.

It's to ensure that they stay in vacuum. When you throw vacuum-packed Starbucks beans into a fridge the packaging becomes almost rock solid.

The $30 electric burr grinders are NOT real burr grinders. It's a disc with nubs on it. The blade grinder can only compete because this tier of "burr" grinder just smashes shit up even worse than a blade. An absolutely trash tier $30 real burr grinder like the Hario models does far outclass a blade, but it isn't electric. The cheapest electric model is $100ish.

The Hario is cheaper for manual, but still low enough quality to be not worthwhile. Frankly I'd say don't get anything lower quality than a Lido or Feldgrind.

The problem is that coffee offgasses. Even in a 100% perfect vacuum it will still go bad as the gasses trapped in the coffee escape in to the container. Freezing is the one and only way to seriously preserve it for more than a couple weeks.

I fucking love those 30cts Café Long at the machine from my workplace, no sugar

How can i reproduce this flavor at home ? Take in mind i'm french, so i cant get american brand, abloobloo

What's the grinder?

>It's to ensure that they stay in vacuum

That doesn't make any sense at all. Changing the temperature of the packaging or its contents has no effect whatsoever on whether or not the integrity of the package is maintained. If anything it would be worse for durability because at cold temperatures plastics get brittle and are more susceptible to damage.

>>the packaging becomes almost rock solid.
Yep, that's the plastic getting brittle due to the cold temperature.

Ever had those cheap plastic "tupperware" containers of food in the freezer and then accidentally drop one? Notice how if you drop one out of the freezer it can easily shatter but if you drop one out of the fridge or at room temp that doesn't happen?

>How can i reproduce this flavor at home ?
Pas d'espace avant le point d'interrogation en anglais.
And you can't, part of the taste comes from the fact that you're taking a break on your work time.
Ask the guy who comes refill the machine what brand of instant coffee it uses.

A qt Lido 2, the company that makes the Lido (manual) grinders is called Orphan Espresso

I have no idea why they went with that name because it's a bit weird, but they're made by this older couple, assembled by them

The parts are very good quality imo, they get the steel from Switzerland or something like that

my bialleti always has a few drips where the two pieces screw together. i've replaced the gasket but it still does this.

Screw it together more tightly.
I screw mine down so at the point where it doesn't move freely (ie. touches the rubber seal) I give it about another eighth of a turn. Say from twelve o'clock to two o'clock.
If issue persists then you may be using too much grind which effecting the seal.

how the fuck did it go so wrong?

what sort of fire were you using. youre supposed to put it in gentle fire you silly.

...also it helps it the rubber is wet