What's some shit you ate growing up that you now realize was legit poor people food?

What's some shit you ate growing up that you now realize was legit poor people food?

One of my mom's specialties was kraft mac and cheese made with ketchup and topped with hard-boiled eggs.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese
youtu.be/WRxjqOcvxoE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Boiled potato with butter, vinegar and salt.

Strangely enough, still my favourite comfort food.

Devon sandwich with tomato sauce.

>Dad asks me what I want for dinner
Just some noodles with onion, soy sprouts, soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil
>Come on user at least let me add some chicken
Nah, I just like the like that
Whole dinner was like 50 cents and i loved it

Polony*

Hard boiled eggs sounds good! Eggs are more nutritious than the shitty noodles with fake cheese.

My gf and I usually just add peas, edges-seared-crisp hot dog slices, and strategic dollops of ketchup in the end.

Some of the best comfort foods are poor people/peasant food, I swear.

You realize every haute cuisine in the world came from 'poor people food'.

u cannot go wrong

Anybody make "grown-up" versions of poor people food? Eggs and Bar-S weenies were a staple growing up.

Now, I honestly eat sliced up hot dogs and eggs for a meal at least 3 times a week. But now I use 100% chicken hot dogs and scramble it up with onions, garlic, kale, and mushrooms, and top with organic ketchup and fancy salsa.

Was that the whole meal? if not then it's not poor food, just "you're mom can't cook food"

Cabbage and prosciutto risotto.

Sounds all fancy and shit to foreign ears, but when you think about it, it's just rice, oil, cabbage, vegetable stock and a very, very, very little bit of prosciutto and parmigiano (100g of each one total, divided between four servings).
It's still one of my favourite comfort foods and is what I just finished having for dinner, actually.

Costs all of $1.77USD per serving.

Another: soup of peas, pancetta, pasta and eggs. Costs $1.44 per serving.

>now I use 100% chicken hot dogs

GROUND TURKEY. Good lord, I hate that shit. I never want to eat it again. Also, corned beef hash out of a can. So fucking revolting.

steamed smoked sausage with quartered onions and cabbage.

I liked it though.

how do you see that as poor food? That's got to be some kinda eastern german, polish staple. Sounds delicious.

>Family-size frozen dinners with canned vegetables
>Canned soup with grilled cheese made from white bread and American singles
>Cheapest hot dogs, cheapest buns, 1 can of chili for 6 people
>Mini-hotdogs wrapped in pillsbury biscuits baked on top of ground beef + corn + tomato sauce
>Unseasoned chicken breasts baked on top of instant rice + cream of mushroom soup

Lobster

that sounds more like lazy as fuck than poor.

I made hamburger helper for the first time in my life yesterday because they were 88 cents apiece and if I bought 3 I could send in a rebate for a pound of ground beef. One of the blandest things I've ever eaten.

They go hand in hand.

Hamburger Helper with a ton of extra noodles to make it go further.

Also cinnamon sugar mix on plain white toast. I hate cinnamon sugar now because it reminds me of my shitty childhood.

Only in Burgerland and The United British Emirates.

Yeah breasts aren't exactly the cheap cut. Either lazy or never learned to cook.

well that's because poor people actually have jobs in those countries

It was all I knew.

I legit didn't even know the difference between this and actual whipped heavy cream until 2 years ago..

I'm so ashamed now..

Chard tortilla

>You realize every haute cuisine in the world came from 'poor people food'.
yea, no.

everything I ate growing up was poor-people food
>moros y christianos (beans & rice)
>mac n'cheese
>tuna casserole
>meat loaf
>egg salad

Ketchup sandwiches. One slice of bread, folded. I knew it was poor shit food though.
Meatloaf and chicken thighs just in the oven since they were cheap in bulk. Spaghetti. Im so fucking sick of spaghetti and it doesn't matter if it's canned sauce or some shit. I'll only eat it if it's offered to me to be nice. My mom is a shit cook but the times she did it was always spaghetti.

>meat
>eggs

You weren't poor. Your parents just sucked at cooking.

wouf

eggs are $1/dozen

Eggs are cheap as shit and the meat you put in a meatloaf isn't exactly highest quality. If we're excluding anyone who ate meat or eggs from labeling themselves 'poor' then we'd better restrict this thread to third world countries because that's the only place you're going to find people so poor they can't afford eggs.

>Anons compete to see who is the poorest

I hate this board

>"b-but... people with jobs are still poor here!!!"
>somehow, working into nothing is a badge of honour
wut

This stuff right here.

Honestly, though, you throw some hot sauce in this and serve it with decent bread, and I still will eat it.

>Eggs and Bar-S weenies were a staple growing up.

This.

I'd have this almost every day of my childhood. It was either this or a bowl of top ramen.

We weren't even poor at the time. It's just what my mom knew how to make for breakfast.

There seems to be a "grew up poor" logic in adults: eat/cook the same shit, just more of it.

working for a living is more honorable than being a leech, yes

Haha good one wagecuck, is your boss giving you a bonus to think that way?

until the day you get hit by a car and amass 60000000$burgerbucks of medical debt because you have no healthcare coverage and get declared permanently disabled because you couldnt afford good healthcare when you needed it

Kraft Mac and Cheese and Ground Beef

To this day I fucking hate Mac and cheese no matter how it's made.

Mustard sandwich when there was no bologna
Mac N Cheese with $1.00 knockoff can of spam
tortillas with refried beans, chorizo if lucky
potatoes N eggs
Smack ramen & store brand kool-aid

my mom used to do this but added eggs and carrots and some diced onion and then lightly doused with vinegar and salt. I still eat it to this day

>there was no working microwave in the house
>electricity was off because the bills didn't get paid
>all those times standing over the sink and eating it straight from the can with chopped weenies
Thanks for the flashbacks, user.

I'm going to try it that way.

Hamburger Helper and canned veggies was my childhood diet.

We always ate food from fresh ingredients. We were legit poor, just not retarded.

My mom grew up with 4 siblings so she was used to eating poor people food. One of the most notable ones was cheese sandwiches, which was literally a couple slices of cheese between bread. This of course was passed down to me on occasion. I don't understand the logic behind it, because the difference between grilled cheese and a cheese sandwich is very little work.

dont know what my mother called it but she would fry cheap turkey sausage and add potato and canned corn. a bit of water and bbq sauce. it was alright.

A Diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper.

>a couple slices
you werent that poor then

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

I still eat this on occasion. The trick is to cook the hamburger until it becomes crispy.

there is literally nothing wrong with cheese sandwiches

But grilled cheese is objectively better

Who else is using this thread to find meal ideas? Poor college kid btw

Isn't it a normal meal when using patrician tier breads and cheeses?

Miracle Whip and saltine cracker sandwiches on fresh, soft white bread. This was my creation when I was around 6 or 7 years old.

White rice with soy sauce.

I never ate poor person food. We had a home cook and she made us nice food.

bologna & hot dog stew

probably added some of daddy's cum scooped right out of her ass

And she made it taste delicious.

This was awful. I don't know why they insisted on it.

Meatloaf exists to disguise that the animal byproduct you're eating is not fit for human consumption.

Eggs are 99c a dozen in 2016 even for me in one of the highest cost of living areas in America. They must've been stupid-cheap a decade ago when all these anons were small in the lamest slums and suburbs of the western world

Mac N cheese with cut up hot dog in it.

I had a friend who had 3 siblings and I saw wierd shit like that all the time
Like they would open the fridge, take a hotdog and keptchup and eat it like that.
I know it comes cooked but don't you want it at least warm? Haven't you just grab a slice of bread, boil it for a minute and eat a fucking hotdog?
I guess that at some point you stop giving a semblance of a fuck

Multi-generational poverty breeds the competency out of families sometimes. Painful reminder that free will is an illusion#1000

This

fluffy shit

>onions in a pot with some oil
>only salt and pepper
>add ground beef
>fry till cooked
>ADD WATER
>BOIL SOME
>ADD CAULIFLOWER
>DONE

its disgusting, mom doesn't even save herself with stock or anything

>Multi-generational poverty breeds the competency out of families sometimes.
More like they are impoverished because the lack of competency.

This was GOAT

It was until you discovered smokey links then that was GOAT.

me too, and i loved this shit, especially with eggs

Pieces of bread with brown gravy on them.
10/10 no regrets

I would call Mac and cheese poor person food. That's a legit American staple. Sure it's not expensive out something you'd serve at a formal dinner, but who doesn't love just Mac and cheese once in a while?

Baked beans on toast

>Hamburger Helper with a ton of extra noodles to make it go further.

How is hamburger helper? I was thinking of picking some up for easy cheap meals.

It's gooey and salty.

In my fat days I used to mix some white rice and corn into a bowl with the cheeseburger macaroni.

Eggs + ham + pasta all together. Lots of salt.

Lots of canned veggies and frozen box meals

I loved these as a kid. Tried them as an adult. Fucking vile.

It's basically ramen with egg noodles and some ground beef

Tomato and mayo sandwiches

Mac and cheese with a million onions and a can of tomatoes but hardly any cheese

Fried bologna

A big pot of pinto beans (which I still make all the time but better)

>chicken hot dog
>kale
>organic ketchup

Wtf

>getting hit by a car
>not suing the driver into poverty for the emotional trauma and retiring early
You must not be an American.

>What's some shit you ate growing up that you now realize was legit poor people food?
cement

>get hit by car
>try to sue
>deemed your fault and not the driver's
>lose court case
>now have to pay both legal and medical fees
>debt rises to 100000000$burgerbucks
for the land of the 'free,' you sure do pay a lot for basic human protections and rights with no guarantee that they'll be upheld

I liked those chinese meatballs, processed crab sticks and processed fish balls. My mom would make those with a transparent really thin noodle-like thing with really delicious soup. Its very easy to eat and very eat to chew, but since its processed...

Canned salmon casserole: soak several slices of white bread in milk and an egg or two. Add can salmon, chopped onion, chopped celery, salt, pepper. Put in baking dish and bake until it turns into a fishy bread pudding.

pedestrians essentially have right of way in nearly every single case. probably didnt have time to educate yourself due to your shitty schools, europoor. too busy choosing a career at age 12, europoor.

The fact that this isn't chocolate triggered me

I don't know anything about America and it's justice system: The Post.

>the pedestrian is protected/has the right of way
Nope.
That's only if you call immediately after it happens and even then, there are a lot of factors that could either limit your awards if you do win or completely ruin your chances altogether.
If you get hit by a car, adrenaline may lead you to believe that you're fine at the moment. Many people hit by cars say "I'm fine!!!" and refuse further help only to find out at some later date and time that they have a radial-head fracture or something more severe. You may be too much in shock to think about calling police or may think yourself raving too maniacally to make an effective report or, worst of all, your maniacal raving makes you unsympathetic to police who will, outside of their job description, judge you to be at fault and refuse to file the report for you (which opens up a whole 'nother can o' worms). Nearly half of all incidents where a pedestrian or cyclist is hit by a car will yield reports that completely lack the account of the accident from the victim's point of view. Unsurprisingly, this makes the suit very, very difficult for the pedestrian.
And no: an ER report won't hold nearly the same weight in US courts as a police report, especially if you don't go immediately after the accident (even moreso if not by ambulance).

But we'll say that up to this point, in the face of all the odds stacked against, you've done everything the right way. Did you forget to call the driver's insurance number? Don't tell me you forgot to get it in the first place? I'll assume you got it. Well, try not to blad to the insurance company. They work for the driver, not the pedestrian. Anything you say will be used in /their/ report which, as you may expect, they'll try to curve as much as possible to their favour.

So you didn't blab. That's good.
Didja get a lawyer? What? You don't have money for one? And he won't give you any advice at all unless you do retain? You're SoL, then, I guess. )-:

NICK

that sounds delicious user

>chicken hot dog
>kale
>organic ketchup

so you turned it into a meme. good one

Everything we had for supper when I was a kid.
We were poor.
Every day it was shit like:
Chicken noodle soup
hot dogs
egg in the middle of the bread
mushroom soup
cheese sandwich
PB+J

Ramen noodles with cheese sauce.

it was fine at first, then i got better at cooking and then i realized, that thing sucked.

youtu.be/WRxjqOcvxoE