Kawell in the Kitchen: Pork Sirloin, Rice Pilaf and Brussel Sprouts Edition

Evening all, happy pre-monday

Tonight we're fixing up some pork sirloin marinated in a homemade mustard and herb wet rub, some rice pilaf and brussel sprouts. We're looking to get our pork temperature around 155 for a good medium doneness and then just to go to town on it. Looking forward to a good Sunday night meal.

Posting live from the kitchen.

Our beverage for tonight will be some Lost Abbey Red Barn ale.

Let's get to cooking.

Our mustard is going to be comprised of 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 packets of mustard seed (brown and white), some garlic, radishes to give it a little pop and lemon juice to brighten.

Basically it all just goes in a blender until it thickens. Salt to taste.

Consistency and taste are good. Going to chill it for the next 30 minutes until it solidifies a bit more.

Brief intermission until then.

Proceed

Waiting

hi

Alright, mustard consistency is good. We're going to chop up some basil, thyme and rosemary too and get this sirloin all basted up and put it in some shrink wrap to sit and merry for a bit.

Back in the fridge it goes for another 30 minutes. When done we're going to sear it off; that mustard is going to help develop and really awesome tasting crust. Then we can work on the pilaf and brussel sprouts at the same time.

Beer time

Gonna cut up half a yellow onion for the pilaf. When it comes time well sweat it in some butter and oil then coat our rice in the mixture.

Lookin good. Pls continue

We're just about ready to start sweating the onions

One cup of long grain rice going in the casserole dish

Going to let these go until translucent. It may seem like a lot of fats in there, but it's necessary. The onions will absorb some of the fat and we also want every grain of rice to be covered in fats too. This really helps bring a great texture to the rice.

We're also heating up some homemade chicken stock for the pilaf.

The ratio you want is 1:3, rice to stock for this.

My last jar of stock, I'll have to make another batch soon.

Almost forgot, the seasoning that really sets this dish up is a pinch of saffron. You don't need much, powerful stuff. Right into the broth as it heats up.

Onions right into the rice and mix it all together.

Let's prep the brussel sprouts now.

Niiiiiiiiice.

Did you quickly brown the rice in butter and then boil it in chicken broth? never thought to add onions to pilaf.

That shit is going to burn when you "sear" it.

You're really going to steam and simmer your pork.

LET KAWELL COOK
E
T

K
A
W
E
L
L

C
O
O
K

The rice is as is. All I've added to it was butter, oil and sweated onions. The stock will get added then put in the oven for about an hour. Comes out well, would recommend.

It's going to get seared in a piping hot pan for only until each side builds a crust, then it's going into the oven with a meat thermometer until the inner temperature reaches 155F.

The sprouts get the following: butter, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt to taste. As they're almost finished I'll sprinkle on some fresh parmasen cheese.

Alright, everything is prepped. We're going to bring this pan up to temp with butter and grapeseed oil and start searing it off.

Everything will go in the oven at the same time @ 400F. Pork will be done in 25-35 minutes, sprouts in 35-45 minutes and pilaf at 60 minutes.

The aromatics of the mustard is insane.

Stock in pilaf, now covered and in oven

noice

Sprouts trayed and ready to roll

Everything in and getting happy

Lookin p good so far familia. Gettin some nice vibes here

i wanna put my face in that cats tummy

I'm actually able to!
This is Vega, named after Don Diego De La Vega (Zorro), because he has a mask pattern on his face.

I want to put my face in between your legs

OP I LOVE YOUR CAT AND YOUR THREADS ARE ACTUALLY DECENT LET US BE GAY

I also have this guy, his name is Saffron. He was actually named by someone in one of my previous threads. I was taking recommendations for names as I had just picked this guy up off the street and Saffron was the winner.

Forgot pic

Damn.. Our pork finished much sooner than expected. Which is fine I suppose. Instead of a medium, we'll get a medium-well. Going to let it rest in foil until everything else is done.

Fokin God damned QT 3.14

Been wanting to get a dog, think it'd be one too many for me though. Some day...

Parma reggiano ready for the sprouts, coming up here in another 15 minutes or so.

This thread is awesome. I'm gonna try make pilaf and I'm DEFINITELY doing sprouts like you, OP.

Thanks!

Just wanted to say that I love your threads dude. They're super comfy and I like your attention to detail.

Thanks guys, this is why I made these threads. Tonight was pretty casual but I like to try at least one new recipe a week to expand my arsenal. Glad you're enjoying it.

Sprouts be done. In some foil, and pilaf is 15 out from done.

This wine is surprisingly good by the way. I'm not into fruity wines, but it hits the mark. Would recommend if you have a sweet tooth.

Not much of a white wine person, but cheers. Might give it a go someday. Cya in a few mins with the pilaf OP. Hope the meal is good.

Perfect.

Just starting to brown around the edges; this is how you know when it's done.

Let's plate!

Sorry for the delayed plating picture, I was getting my grub on.

I hope you all enjoyed the thread. I'll get another one going soon in a few days.

Until then!

Looking a little dry

God, that looks so fucking delicious. Look at those sprouts...

Thanks again, OP. Looking forward to next time.

It actually cooked a little odd. The top half was perfect, but the bottom half was slightly under. It could have either been not a long enough sear for an even gradient, or there was a defect in the pork itself. A little of the homemade mustard on top fixed it though, came out tasting great.

would you like some brussels sprouts with that cheese?

You could bust his balls for trying to sear a marinade, but you have to admit that is a pretty good gratin.