I want to sous vide a steak. Does anyone have any cheap DIY sous vide setups for inspiration?

I want to sous vide a steak. Does anyone have any cheap DIY sous vide setups for inspiration?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Docooler®-Temperature-Controller-Thermocouple--58~194°F/dp/B00F05UI8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474261116&sr=8-1&keywords=docooler temperature controller
amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCR300-B-Manual-Cooker-Quart/dp/B0075WF6V4/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1474261216&sr=1-8&keywords=crockpot
amazon.com/dp/B00BBDKSVQ/ref=twister_B00TTLR1F8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-YbClFcRA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i have the anova sous vide thing. its like $100.

Nice, hows it work?

You know what creates near sous vide quality? Reverse searing. There's like no difference and you don't have to buy a bunch of crap.

like a sous vide thing

you stick it in a container of water and it heats+regulates the temp. i use a big plastic bucket

Just watched a video on YouTube by Andrew Rea on this....genius! Im keen to have a go. Thanks for the tip!

You dry cook steak at 280 in an oven to 120 degrees and finish it to 135 you end up with as good as.

Gonna order one, didnt realize it was that easy. Thanks

Everything cooks down to a bland, wanky porridge. It's like a rice cooker if a rice cooker was submerged.

Sous vide is better for chicken/eggs and things that should be cooked to a very specific temperature with little room for error imo.

Sous vide Chicken roulade is GOAT.

If you're lazy and horrible at cooking a sous vide machine is your go to. Restaurants use it because they can pre-cook shit. You don't need to do that.

>Restaurants use it because they can pre-cook shit. You don't need to do that.
How do you know?

He is right.

They sous vide steaks to medium rare, then seal them on the grill and wa la.

This is why rare staeks will sometimes take longer.

>How do you know?
Becasue I have worked in (high end) places that do this.

I meant how does he know I don't need to do that. All he knows is that I shitpost on 4chins.

As I said steak isn't the best thing you can do in sous vide. Although it's a complete meme, you can cook a 63 degree egg or something like that that would be very difficult to do otherwise. If you were only interested in coking steaks i wouldn't bother, that's true.

I will agree that there is more you can do. But the only professional application for sous vide I have personally seen IRL is slow poached eggs and steaks.

Both are attractive becasue they allow us to precook stuff and spend more attention worrying about timing other things while achieving consistent results.

>Both are attractive becasue they allow us to precook stuff and spend more attention worrying about timing other things while achieving consistent results.
Would that not be useful to a home cook as well? Especially if they were cooking for more than 4 people?

>Cooking for more than 4 people
Maybe. We will be simultaneously cooking for more than 4-8 tables though, with each customer often choosing a different plate or degree of doneness and requiring coordination across sections.

Use a sous vide by all means, but if you actually need it to properly cook/time fewer steaks than you can fit on your grill or cooktop, you should probably just focus on being more organized.

Pour a bunch of boiling water into a large cooler.
Stick in a probe thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature.
Use cheap pump vacuum bags.
Add food when water is a few degrees above desired temp.
Periodically add more boiling water as temperature gradually drops.
Empty water using built in spigot if doing something for extended periods and the water level gets too high.
Wa la.

I said Wa La on another board and got so much shit for it.

It was pretty great desu

temperature controller - $17
amazon.com/Docooler®-Temperature-Controller-Thermocouple--58~194°F/dp/B00F05UI8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474261116&sr=8-1&keywords=docooler temperature controller

Analog crockpot - $14
amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCR300-B-Manual-Cooker-Quart/dp/B0075WF6V4/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1474261216&sr=1-8&keywords=crockpot

Wire - $4
amazon.com/dp/B00BBDKSVQ/ref=twister_B00TTLR1F8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Total - $35

schematic pic related

Hadnt thought of eggs and chicken, was scared of fucking myself with undercooked chicken but Ill have a go. I just want to taste something sous vide. It changes the texture of the inside of a steak because of the water cooking method doesnt it?

>havent tried something sous vide yet :(

OP here again, amazon is an awesome site but Im Australian so Ill have to find an alternative. Thanks for the post tho very helpful

You shove it up your ass like the insufferable memeshitter you are.

you will need
> one ziploc bag, certified for food use
> one pot
> one thermometer
> patience of a saint
> a gas hob

fill the pot with water, put food in bag, close but do not seal bag, submerge bag so air comes out, seal bag, put pot lid on, insert thermometer, adjust the gas hob until water is at desired temp, wait, adjusting temp as needed. it is better to adjust too late than too soon

Spicey

youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-YbClFcRA

Sous vide is the only option if you want maximum amount of pink juicy meat.
Reverse sear is more dry.

It also doesnt occupy your oven so you spend less time waiting if youre doing like fries for the meat.

I use a Sansaire machine. But any works, really.

Jesus, sounds really hard.
lol

Anyhow, I got chicken wings in a 150F bath for 4 hours. Shit ain't haute cuisine, it's a method for making tastier food. Less water loss = juicier wings. Collagen will break down at ~150.
That's really all there is to it. It's not hard science or "modernist cuisine". It's very simple and approachable. The whole time & temp thing for safety is science, but the idea behind it is to
loose less water during the cooking process.