If you actually read this, you wouldn't consider it a meme. why do you think it's a meme anyway?

if you actually read this, you wouldn't consider it a meme. why do you think it's a meme anyway?

cause jonathan franzen said it was hard and he's real smart

loooooooooooooool

I'm reading it right now and it's definitely a meme.
>Otto
>all the shitpost-like jabs at Hemingway
>metaphysical reveries about dicks
>"My name is Recktall Brown."
>copious use of the word nigger
>"He told me he was a positive negativist."
It's a great book, but it's undeniably memetic.

great book. i'm reading it as well.
i liked the part about the paintings.

Did anyone else get sick of reading this? I'm on chapter four of part three, 120 odd pages to go and I'm over it.

why?

i don't think a meme is necessarily a bad thing...

Because he's literally Otto.

It's not that I'm not liking it, it's just taking so long. And no, it's not my first doorstopper.

Maybe you're getting too old for memelit, gramps. It's understandable if you don't have the stamina for it anymore.

What does it mean to be a meme?

I have actually read it, and I do consider it a meme, since there has been 3-4 threads about it every day for the past week or two. The why is kind of obvious, actually: it's long, hard [insert phallic reference here], and one of the funniest things ever created.

> (OP)
i honestly dont know anymore... i think the connotations are something forced and endlessly repeated until it becomes an inherent part of the forum's current zeitgeist.

It's not a meme. It's a great book. Way better than anything by Gass or McElroy.

Really? You're going to do this again? Even after this embarrassing post ?

But theoretically, a good book could be promoted forcefully and constantly and 'become an inherent part of the forum's current zeitgeist'.

yeah, so a meme isnt necessarily bad.. for example memeing the Greeks was good.

>falling for SWTG

>he hasnt read the greeks

So is Esme named after that one chick from the Salinger story? Or was that just a more common name in the 40s/50s?

It's a trigger for the pretend pseuds on here who won't actually tackle a gargantuan-sized novel.

so /lit is otto, right?

No. Otto is Veeky Forums. Gaddis was a time traveler. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Does anyone have that DFW "You might think I'm a loser in the real world,etc." pic? OP's text reminded me of that.

Because all books that are too lengthy to maintain my interest are a meme

Possibly, we'll see how I go with 2666. I'll let you know.