Is it the end of the molecular gastronomy and scandinavian post-modern shit?

Best World Restaurant 2016
Best European Restaurant 2016
Osteria Francescana - Modena - Italy
Chef : Massimo Bottura

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gVvhxwtFsnE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>this is what food at Osteria Francescana looks like

Oh yes, this is much better

>Wait 3 years to go to some legendary new age restaurant
>maitre d hands me a pine cone with peanut butter all in it
>instructs me to get down on all fours and lick all the peanut butter out of it or they will kill me

This looks edible

This probably costs straight up $200

/k/ took over a restaurant?

I'm ok with blue box macaroni & cheese desu senpai

foie gras ice-cream

Nigga that ain't macaronis, that's sqeezecheeze

Why would I want to spend potentially quadruple the price for this "Meal", which is more like an appetizer than a meal, than just getting a decent meal and being full? The amount of money being spent on some sauce on a plate, with a small slice of meat is just ridiculous

>Quadruple

More like 10 times, I can get a decent meal for $15 almost anywhere and I can make a decent meal for $2-8.

What does, there's no dish there?

>tfw i will never eat at a world class restaurant

how do you eat this? do you lick the plate like an animal?

Pompous ass shitheads so full of themselves they think their talents are so priceless. Ridiculous.

you do realize that is one course of an entire testing menu, right?

>i know he doesn't realize this, i'm just saying

I thought italians didn't like pretentious cuisine?

Why hate on Mossimo? Modenese cuisine is too deeply rooted in tradition, as is most of Italian cooking. It's what makes them both incredible and stale

Someone putting a modern twist on a classic isn't bad unless it sucks. Mossimo doesn't suck and his restaurant isn't bad by any stretch

why eat truffles when canned mushrooms are .89 cents
why eat fugu when tilapia exists
why eat jamon iberico when you can eat spam
why get delivery if you can get dijornos

>this "Meal", which is more like an appetizer than a meal

every fucking time you dumb fucking nigger

every fucking time you seem to think one plate constitutes the entire meal when tasting menus generally have at least like twelve

Bring back Harvey's with Macro and the boys.

Go home and eat your Tasty Facebook meals you worthless cucks.

there are people who unironically defend this "food"

There are uncultured amerifags that still don't understand tasting menus or palate fatigue or portion control...

I can't remember where I saw a piece on this guy but it followed him around in his daily life and he truly is a cool dude. Worth the watch if you can find cause he ate some good lookin shit around italy

I had a foie gras milkshake in Atlanta, it's a meme, you don't need foie gras to add the necessary fat to a milkshake or ice cream.

k

From what I'm reading the food probably tastes amazing, however some of the presentation looks kinda shitty.

Still that veal looks fucking great.

I still want to check out Alinea.

I've lived in the Chicago are my entire life and I've never been.

>being full
fatty detected

Don't often see a kids menu at a high class restaurant.

Isn't there supposed to be a model train running through that?

There it is

>implying Italians are the ones buying his shit
Please, this is purely to pander to EU globalist pretentious faggots who aren't even born in Italy.

>le tasting menu

tbf the photography there is not great. never knew what to think about the lemon tart dish tho - how is that better to eat than an intact tart?

do you think people add foie gras to things solely to up the fat content

"fine dining" is literally autistic toy food for autists.

not real food do not eat

youtube.com/watch?v=gVvhxwtFsnE

That better not be balsamic vinegar

>that chintzy-looking, scratched-up cutlery
disgusting.

Osteria Francescana's "Hunting the Pigeon" dish features pigeon breast, beetroot juice, turnips, porcini mushrooms, apples and truffles.

only got into 10 min of this "documentary." thought it was gonna be about food, not a bunch of people circle jerking one guy

Grace is the superior 3 michelin star chicago restaurant

Good catch. I really don't care if someone wants to spend $150 USD for a 1/4 ounce of pate with half a cracked nacho on top but christ they could at least not use cutlery they got from the charity shop

So is the sauce beetroot juice and black truffle or something?

less pretentious michelin-starred restaurants?

I know you are american, but its sad youve never seen real silverwear. Enjoy your plastic culture

I'd rather eat this shit (not that I could afford it, mind you) than the burnt onion at Noma (most overrated restaurant in history).

Michelin is a meme, to judge food based off what a tyre company says, well...
Thats not to aay its not good, its just a bad basis for food and takes presentation in to far too great consideration

If I want real food for a good deal and that will fill me up I go to my local neighborhood grill, Applebee's™ for their 2 4 $20 menu. They have all you could want from tasty Mozzarella Stick, to American A1Sauce® Sliders. If you have a refined palette they're here for you too with their new Southwestern Style Egg Rolls™ and Volcano Shrimp Bao Bites™ both on the 2 4 $20 menu.
It even comes with dessert, choice of Molten Chocolate Chunk Brownie A La Mode or Sunday Sun Day Sundae.
Why go to one of these pretentious restaurants where you need reservations and have to wear close toed shoes? Why would I want someone ELSE ordering FOR me and have to pay them upwards of $200 for the benefit? Ive gone to some fancy sushi places and I gotta say, I was starving afterwords, so I was so grateful for my local Applebee's™ and I even had a few too many Prickly Pear Breezy Margaritas™ . But that's what it's all about, fun and lots of quality food! Plus does Massimo Bottura let you sing on a bona fide karaoke machine to Katy Perry, Jason Aldean, and the classics like RHCP and Smash Mouth? Exactly. I'd rather go to Applebee's™ 10 times with the 2 4 $20 menu than step foot in a "Michelin star restaurant".

Some of that shit looks darn right unappetizing.

Looks like it's screaming. Can't unsee

>seasoned pizza rolls
can I get some aged mountain dew too?

>I know you are american

Kek, jokes on you. Never even been

I'm Italian and I've been there last month for my sixth anniversary. I don't usually like this kind of ultra-sophisticated and pretentious restaurants, preferring the "cucina casereccia" (I don't honestly know how to translate it, rustic food?) but my family offered to pay for me and my girlfriend as a gift.

>8106396
We had the menu on the right as seen here with the wine pairings.

To be honest it was amazing. When you pay over 300 eu for dinner, you are not just buying food; the justaxposition of tastes, the story of each ingredient, everything is in the right place. I am fully aware of the absence of meaning in this kind of words and how they get used by pompous idiots to justify their waste of money, but I don't know how else to explain it. I ate in a couple of luxury restaurant before and I always felt scammed; here I felt something entirely different.

The wine was superb. I've been drinking quality wine with my family since I was 10 (in moderate amounts, of course) and even if I don't have the skills of a graduated sommelier I could feel the difference and how it intertwined perfectly with what I was eating.

Bottura's recipes are in touch with the northern Italy's traditional cooking; they just offer the best of everything. This is the kind of elaborate cuisine I like: the one that really elaborates something that already works, and that has been working for centuries, without trying too much like the scandinavians fuck who uses too much brain and very few feelings.

There is a small and semi-obscure restaurant in the suburbia of Rome called "le Ninfe" which is similar in style, although far less expensive; Rome in general is full of small restaurants that serve traditional italian food re-elaborated. Most of them are awful and expensive, but also very crowded; so I guess that Italians like this kind of food, too. Maybe it has something to do with social status more than actual taste, like everywhere else in the world.

>silverwear
*silverware
Fucking retard.

Nice pasta.

>argumentum ad tirecompanyum

the guide is based on how far out of your way you should go to eat at these places. originally the guide was about all kinds of stuff pertinent to motorists, but over time the restaurant section became so popular it took over and became the most prestigious rating system in the culinary world. how the fuck does that undermine it?

Jesus Christ all this trolling is making my head hurt

why does every single uncultured retard feel the need to give opinions about world class cuisine without having tried it?

>muh "culture"

Its no different from it x company had a guide

there are people that think their local burger place or pizza stop is the epitome of good food

you shouldn't disregard different types of dining because you don't understand them

but you're a /pol/tard so what would I expect?

How hard was it to not call him a cuck? you must be improving from what your general shit posting tactics are, good job.

Curtis was trained by Grant, so you can thank Alinea for Grace even existing

I agree though, both places are exceptional, but they attract two entirely different crowds

that's because he is used to eating at chain establishments which serve terribly bland garbage

I imagine a date night in his mind would be taking a date to Applebee's, or celebrating an anniversary at Red Lobster's endless shrimp night

I really don't care if someone wants to spend $150 USD for a 1/4 ounce of pate with half a cracked nacho on top
This meme, still, even after it has been corrected multiple times ITT. You are doing nothing but signalling your own stupidity at this point.

Massimo's entire stick is post modern cuisine. He is all about laughing in the face of Modena cuisine and then secretly appropriating traditional flavors. Dressing them down into fractured plates and various post structuralist arrangements that make your forget you are having a dish that a delightful Italian grandma perfected over the years with structure and order.

Don't believe me? - watch his chefs table show on Netflix and watch him judge a wheel of Parmesan cheese to be shit (even before it is opened or tasted by the cheese maker) and then say it is good once the cheese maker has approved of it.

This guy is a fucking joke.

Kk thanks bye

>watch his chefs table show on Netflix and watch him judge a wheel of Parmesan cheese to be shit (even before it is opened or tasted by the cheese maker) and then say it is good once the cheese maker has approved of it.

i don't remember that happening. and i don't know what the fuck your previous three sentences are about either. is that good or bad? neither, it's just purple bollocks

It's really not that exspensive. considering you go to anyresturaunt , even the shittiest steakhouses, in midtown and your average entree is $45. to pay double and get food that is literally made by a god among men. sure its not a monthly thing, but once a year to go to a high end restaurant. I'd rather spend the money than go on a cruise.

the experience is better

It did, he knocks on the cheese like its speaking to his spirit, pronounces that the cheese isnt done, the old cheesemeister opens says its good, and the asshole acknowledges it smugly while talking about how his muscles are made of parmaggiano and his blood of balsamic vinegar.

Stop deifying this asshole, he makes good food, their is no apotheosis.

i think you may have misread that situation user.

define post modern you cuck...

thats exactly what happens

>palate fatigue

>2016
>calling names
>asking for a definition of a fuzzy & temporal literary term

I'll bite. This is my definition of choice by Jean-François Lyotard

"In “What is Postmodernism?,” which appears as an appendix to the English edition of The Postmodern Condition, Lyotard addresses the importance of avant-garde art in terms of the aesthetic of the sublime. Modern art, he says, is emblematic of a sublime sensibility, that is, a sensibility that there is something non-presentable demanding to be put into sensible form and yet overwhelms all attempts to do so. But where modern art presents the unpresentable as a missing content within a beautiful form, as in Marcel Proust, postmodern art, exemplified by James Joyce, puts forward the unpresentable by forgoing beautiful form itself, thus denying what Kant would call the consensus of taste. Furthermore, says Lyotard, a work can become modern only if it is first postmodern, for postmodernism is not modernism at its end but in its nascent state, that is, at the moment it attempts to present the unpresentable, “and this state is constant” (Lyotard 1984 [1979], 79). The postmodern, then, is a repetition of the modern as the “new,” and this means the ever-new demand for another repetition."

>asked to define it
>googles someone else's definition

I think I defined it pretty clearly here (traditional vs 'the new') but you are too much trigger monkey to understand it.

>I think I defined it pretty clearly here (traditional vs 'the new')

sorry that i didn't take that as a definition, seeing as it is only tangentially related to postmodernism.

This is why I think postmodernism in our age is just another nonsense word for avant garde. This is not a clear definition. its acutally doubling down on being meaningless "The postmodern, then, is a repetition of the modern as the “new,”

See this is why you can't really call Bottura postmodern, you can call him Avant-garde but postmodernism (while its pretty much undefinable) can't really exist in cooking

Here's my interpretation:
modernism is taking new form to build traditional experience

Post modernism is taking the tradition to subvert new form ( the sum is greater than its parts )

In that way Massimo toes the line. but his push to use modernist techniques to bring to the mind of the customer their nostalgic memories of italy food, is modernist.

Why do people goes to these meme restaurants? They don't look like any of their servings will fill you up

Samefag here.

This is a great interpretation. I actually hate Massimo a little less now.

Honestly, just from what I've gathered from this thread, the restaurant seems tastefully pretentious at the very least. If there is such a thing.

I thought molecular gastronomy was a bit much.

here's your (you)

Only a completely socially inept person could watch that scene and believe he was seriously judging the cheese to be shit.

The reason I (samefag who wrote the post about modernism) feel like Massimo deserve's top accolated, Granted Ive never eaten at osteria franchescana, but I have friends who have.

Massimo so heavily relies on nostalgia and tradition, and it's so fair do this with food, do to the human food relationship. If you look back in your lifetime you can pick out points in your life where you tasted a particular food. it's so intrinsically linked to our memories. pictures, and touch decive us but taste is so vivid.

Ferran Adria was the spearhead of this. look at all of the reviews of El Bulli they talk about the flavor. the presentation, the form was a way to enhance the flavor, no tool's were used that were not necessary. Massimo takes that one step further by composing flavors in a way to engage you emotionally.

By contrast Noma, is on the opposite end of the spectrum, he's more about experimentation, and reinventing the form, as almost a political movement.

Alex Atala sit's somewhere in between.

oh, you!

beetroot/apple/truffle, yes

I believe user is complaining about portion size vs price, not food quality vs price.

Why don't they just serve all 12 on a plate? Those portion sizes look small enough that you feasibly could fit 12 on one.

Are you seriously tripfagging on a post as infinitely retarded as this?

>best restaurant won by someone who makes stuff that actually looks edible

I'll be damned

A restaurant should do two things to be worth its value:

1. Serve tasty food
2. Serve lots of it.

And nothing else matters. Presentation is for art galleries.

Ideally, most food should be served simultaneously, or at least so close together that there is no break in between eating. The brain doesn't recognize that it's full until 20 minutes after one actually is full, and many championship eaters take advantage of this by eating food quickly, rather than spacing themselves out, to be able to take in more food. Tiny portion sizes, spread out = less food consumed overall.

you sound obese

Go to Moto instead, much cheaper and incredibly delicious. The chef is a chill southern bro.

Art history student procrastinating here.
Modernism, in art, politics, and philosophy is essentially an extension of the Enlightenment. Modernists believe that through reason and experimentation it is possible to reach a perfect truth, but that traditional modes of thinking hinder that progress. In art, this lead artists to strip away any detail that seemed unnecessary until all they had left was color and abstract form. Outside of the arts a good example of modernism is the theory of special relativity (proposed 1905, two years before Picasso rejected traditional forms with Les Demoiselles}; it is strange, makes no sense in terms of everyday experience, but is absolutely true and an improvement on classical physics.

Postmodernism developed following the horrors of World Wars I and II. Postmodernists saw the wars as the absurd result of conflicting ideologies that were each certain they had the perfect truth. Postmodernism is thus the belief that there is no objective truth. A major theme in postmodern art and analysis is the development of meaning from context. In this mode of thinking an artist's intentions do not solely define the meaning of a work. Individual viewers create their own interpretations which are equally valid. This lack of singular truth leads to a destructive cynicism which creates by deconstructing and rearranging old ideas, rather than creating new ones as the modernists did.

Modernist chefs take novel approaches to make old food better or create new food without precedent. Alinea and their taffy balloon is a good example.

Postmodernist chefs take old dishes and deconstruct and rearrange them into something different that is only recognizable through taste. This is what Massimo Bottura does.

Personally, I hate postmodernism. I'm totally fine with modernist things like gels and spherification, but stuff like Massimo's lemon tart just seem stupid to me.