What are some degrees that would lead to really high-paying jobs and also allow me to create something innovative and...

what are some degrees that would lead to really high-paying jobs and also allow me to create something innovative and inventive that could serve humanity for the better?

Other urls found in this thread:

hmc.edu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Posting such a shitty meme tier list means you will not succeed into anything you go, so this thread is pointless.

the one that you're interested in

Surely by definition, if you want to innovate and invent. Some sort of degree allied to engineering of some description would be a top contender?

>understanding our world and place in the universe is useless
Enjoy not leaving a legacy.

This

>theology shit tier
>being a priest in a small parish isn't ultra /comfy/ plus gives you a excuse for staying a virgin forever

>chem is always god or top tier
>feelsgoodman.png

probably the best meme major list I've seen, other than psychometrics being above engineering and chemistry

Ok phaggots, help me decide. I want a /comfy/ life.

Go full autist into math/physics, and build myself a strong portfolio for programming so I can actually work

Go full jobs and do CS/EE and still build solid portfolio, and actually have the option to work after getting a BS. Wouldn't get the dank knowledge gains that math/physics would give me though

Physics is always god tier, but do you see me posting about it?

I do now

Yes, right here

That was indeed the joke I was going for...

No wonder you're doing Chemistry or whatever the fuck.

To be honest, I'm just going into ChemE for the ring

Probably a degree in something with biology or chemistry. Fuck you don't even to do lab work if you get a degree in comp bio, which is the next big field. Pharma companies are starting to hire more and more comp bio people.

>Engineering below CS
kek

computer science is engineering

I'll second that Physics is always at the top and feelsgoodman.

Always at the op of the IQ chart too, innit? Yep.

t.yomama

>>Computer Science degree
>>Very Useful
>>Pure Mathematics degree
>>useless
This us even more of a meme than OPs pic

*This is

with automated theorem proving and computers being able to brute force proofs that we would never be able to, you really are being phased out. you were already useless outside your own field, like philosophy is, but now even your own field will be developed by computers.

Job and learn at your own pace in your free time.
Or do a heavy maths based CS course (If you get into a top UNI, you can make CS nearly all maths/logic)

go get a book on undergrad maths, do the exercises. if you enjoy it, go full autists. If not do CS/EE (autist with job)

Before you jump into a math degree, you BETTER GODDAMN MAKE SURE YOU LIKE PROVING TRIVIAL SHIT.

>Implying that you can brute force most proofs
Also,
>Pure mathematics is useless outside of pure mathematics
The finest display of autism I have ever seen.

One of the better lists I've seen. If you remove the meme psychometrics from god tier anyway.

I'm a biology major, I minored in CS and now currently studying for my master's in English translation theory (english is foreign language because I'm not a native of a country where English is spken by a majority of population)

AM I A RETARD FOR NOT HAVING A JOB STILL?

no it is not
computer "science" is a STUDY of computing

You are literally describing Engineering dude. A high paying job thats make you innovative.

>feelsgoodman
your fucking feelsgoodman won't get you a job man, well done falling for the physics and charts meme.

very nice. I like the use of "but"

>tfw in the least popular (and probably easiest) meme major
c-chem 4 l-lyfe

Someone should make that chart for unis

I'd put these

God Tier: Oxbridge/Ivies/Stanford/Caltech/MIT/Harvey Mudd

Top Tier:
Berkeley, UCLA, Chicago, Northwestern, Imperial, UCL

Mid Tier:
Cal Poly, UT Austin

Low Tier/Shit Tier:
???

>CS over ECE

dropped.

Wtf is Harvey Mudd

Y-you too?

Quantitative finance.
Good pay.
You serve humanity by increasing average happiness of the world assuming you are happy with all the money you make

>engineering not god tier
> thinks physics major can do an engineers job
>engineering topped by psychometrics
>wtf is psychometrics

no its not dumbfuck, its computer SCIENCE...

I study computer science instead of having picked physics or something because I skipped school and now I'm at the end of second semester.
How kill myself/10 is this?

holy fuck i want to fuck her

>le useful
>"imma do what other people deem useful"
>"huh, whence cometh innovation?"

useless

Start physics then? Whats the fucking problem?
I studied political science for 3 fucking years, switched to engineering because I realized (or honestly, I always knew during my years) that political science is complete bullshit

I have a ton of undone assignments and two weeks to learn some basic Calculus II to pass at least one of my exams. I've become too stupid to keep up with the curriculum due to bad habits and slacking off. That basically.

God Tier: Number Theory

Top Tier: everything else Pure Maths

Mid Tier: Chemistry

Low Tier: Woman's Studies, Medicine

Shit tier: Physics, Statistics, Applied Maths, Engineering

I thought physics was hardcore.

yes

These lists are fucking cancerous. Please stop.

related, what work does an applied mathematics MSc actually allow you to go into? Could I work with engineering firms if i had an applied maths masters?
>inb4 just take engineering
I want to know my options. Im currently undergrad and thinking about what i want to do for masters

Are you telling me that you can brute force shit like abc conjecture?

Lol'd, can I share this on Facebook

yeah

Tell me what to major in, I want a /comfy/ life

>Math and Physics
Would be some dank knowledge gains, could still go to grad school for probably whatever I want, but probably couldn't get a job outside of programming with a BS either.

>EE and CS
Would be able to make some big monies straight out of college, could possibly still go to grad school for maths too. Less dank knowledge gains though..

I'm open to suggestions.

probably Harvard

Math if you're a bonafide genius, as in 1 in 100k
CS if you're talking about a top 10 school
ECE if the school's at least top 50 (or 1st in your country)

Basket weaving or whatever the fuck if none of the above applies, b/c it doesn't really matter after that.

not Veeky Forums faggots

r u dum

Iam math major and I don't care about computer science, but just in case, I want to take programming-only courses, what to take beside programming 1 and 2?

>ECE > CS meme
retard detected. Some of us don't care for designing and redesigning hardware

CS degrees are worthless.

Medicine is not a science. The science behind medicine is biology.

Please.

It's perfect !

>medicine low tier
FUCKING END YOURSELF YOU HUMONGOUS FLAMBOYANT FAGGOT

Next you'll correct someone for using the word genetics to refer to what is "just biology."

There are slight differences between medicine and biology.
For example, medicine requires one to cope with a variety of challenging situations that can arise unexpectedly, and has very practical real-world applications everywhere. Biology, on the other hand, is not as fast paced and, for the most part, requires mere observation of phenomena and memorisation of facts and mechanisms, with minimal focus on testing and experimentation.

Anyone? I want to know how open my options would be if i did applied maths

This. A CS degree means jack shit when some kid can come in with no degree and take your job, simply because he's been doing it for 10 years.

hmc.edu

>CS is worthless
>Pure Math and Physics are not
Fuck off

When you use engineering in reference to the academic field, it concerns the physical.
Computer science is conceptual and more related to maths.
>inb4 muh arduino/devices
Computer Engineering
Sure programmers could program how a device would work physically, but they aren't expected to know how it would translate as well as an EE or ME

The degree is worthless. Not the field.

*undergrad

>no one respecting my trips

Anyway, to , I will definitely get a book on it. I'm not a prodigy or anything I just enjoy it so far (**calculus**). Autist with job mode sounds more failsafe though, but engineering seems so drabby. One grad student on here posted about how he works at a coffee shop part time while being a math researcher.. Sounded like the ideal /comfy/ life imo.

I just doubt I'd ever feel as adequate without the brand name education. It's shitty but it's true. I don't want to take the risk of always being too busy to be able to study as much as I want. So I'm sort of ok with just taking this chance and if it fails being a carpenter or wielder or whatever.

And to both of you, thanks for the input. I know these questions are menial and pointless since only I can really answer it, but getting feedback is nice (can't really talk to anyone else about it).

my university has it in their engineering college while the nearby ones put it in IT. too bad, i'd rather be stuck with a bunch of indians than constantly having to fight off a bunch of faggots away from my dick. And if i don't reject them in the most polite way possible I get labelled a homophobe.

Every degree beside Medicine and Engineering is worthless user. CS is still much better than the others at least.

Architecture counts to? whicht tier?

Shit tier. Because its not listed according to OP's chart.

i don't know how they split the courses at your uni. programming 1 and 2 usually cover the intro to programming and data structures and some algorithm, there is a more advanced course on algorithms that many people say is the most useful class they take in their college career. So take that course, the upper level algorithm class. My other suggestion is take a machine learning course.

pharmacology.. kek

no jobs in that field

Iam not sure about the algorithm stuff, but what it seems like programming related from what I got are the following
>Programmes Engineering
>Declarative Programming
>World Wide Web Programming
>Object Oriented Programming
help pls.

how do you think people come up with theorems, its educated brute forcing (there is no such things as magical genius intuitions going on). computers will get much more mental power than any human brain, combine that with some AI methods in the future. and your days are over.

number theory is actually really applicable for cryptography and such so you better put that on shit tier to fit your list

go away moleynux

pick Declarative programming since it will probably be about more mathy paradigms like functional programing that fits your math degree, all mathematicans loves functional programming they say

That's what it's supposed to be.

please, someone must do applied mathematics

is this tru senpai

Look for Object-Oriented Programming, Data Structures, and Algorithms.

As a chemist, don't do chemistry lol. Engineering is probably your best bet. I believe chemistry's main purpose is furthering our understanding of the world we live in. We help open up the world, similar to physicists.

Please learn to use proper plotting packages, such as Matplotlib. Using Excel makes baby Jesus cry.

If it does the job it does the job you ignoramus

I like this guy.

But it doesn't. And every tutor / professor out there who isn't slapping students for using Excel to plot graphs is helping breeding another generation of scientists who aren't capable of programatically create graphs.

I have to deal with post-docs who can't subset data, transform or group it, produce statistics on bins...

Why limit oneself?

>But it doesn't.
Well but apparently it did.

this

whats the point of fucking around in python(/waiting for fucking forever for it to open depending on the state of your comp) when you can excel it in a fraction of the time.

Also the viability of a career in physics definitely differs country to country. A lot of people coming out of my degree have to segue into finance to find work in my country.

Fucking around is what you do in Excel. Firing up IPython and typing

stuff = np.genfromtxt('my_shitty_data.dat')
plt.plot(stuff[:,0], stuff[:,1])

isn't that much of an effort now, is it? I'd argue that Office is more resource hungry..

Object Oriented programming will save you ton of time working on large project
The rest are useless

No

Economics with the harder Statistics classes will almost always lead you to really high-paying jobs (at least I'm banking on it)

You can develop new models with better predicting power and those would serve humanity for the better.