What's the best computer science textbook for someone who doesn't know shit about code but has a decent math background...

What's the best computer science textbook for someone who doesn't know shit about code but has a decent math background (particularly in logic)?

Other urls found in this thread:

fabiensanglard.net/c/
blog.codinghorror.com/programmers-dont-read-books-but-you-should/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> 2016
> using books to learn

join the real world and use youtube/wikipedia

>join the real world and use youtube/wikipedia

This. Couple of days back at work I was asked by a co-worker how I learned programming. He specifically asked 'What books' and I was like what the hell. I learned from a website.

That said, some goods are just too good my man.

CL FUCKING RS. Introduction to Algorithms motherfucker. Before reading this I was a block of rock and after it I was chiseled into Michelangelo's David when it came to my knowledge of computation.

Fuck that. Every time I look at the online resources for things that I have a non-surface-level understanding of it makes me want to blow my brains out

This seems to be right up my ally, thanks

>reading from a screen
enjoy your eye cancer

>That moment when you are on Veeky Forums and therefore cannot figure out if the guy is so retarded that he cannot see the irony or if he is so clever that the irony is on purpose to make a joke

Which one is it? My bet is that you are actually retarded and can't see the irony because you did not end your post with :^)

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Stroustrup
Data Structures and Algorithms by and Aho, Ullman, and Hopcroft
Algorithm Design by Kleinberg and Tardos
The Design and Analysis of Algorithms by Kozen
An Introduction to the Analysis of Algorithms by Sedgewick and Flajolet
Automata and Computability by Kozen
Computational Complexity: A Modern Approach by Arora and Barak

>I'm going to start with the things I didn't take too seriously: Internet tutorials, blogs and almost anything brought by Google (yes, it includes this article). I usually considered those sources unreliable and potentially harmful.
>Like a lot of people in the industry I used to Google way too often. Overtime I found the illusion of speed and the inaccuracy of the answers to be counter-productive.
>No website is as good as a good book. And no good book is as good as a disassembly output.
fabiensanglard.net/c/

>Pat yourself on the back for reading this book. You're already learning more than most people in the software industry because one book is more than most programmers read each year (DeMarco and Lister 1999). A little reading goes a long way toward professional advancement. If you read even one good programming book every two months, roughly 35 pages a week, you'll soon have a firm grasp on the industry and distinguish yourself from nearly everyone around you.
>The statistics about reading are particularly discouraging: The average software developer, for example, doesn't own a single book on the subject of his or her work, and hasn't ever read one. That fact is horrifying for anyone concerned about the quality of work in the field; for folks like us who write books, it is positively tragic.
blog.codinghorror.com/programmers-dont-read-books-but-you-should/

You don't need a book to tell you what functions are in STL library and what the arguments are to those functions but you absolutely need to read books to learn the concepts.

Don't listen to the retards recommending Youtube and websites. They're code monkeys.

The formal semantics of programming languages - WInskel
Proofs and Types - Lafont & Taylor

Introduction to the theory of computation - Sipser
Introduction to algorithms - Cormen

Also, if you want to learn an actual programming language, start with a functional one. Haskell is good, OCaml or Scheme are also good alternatives.
Then maybe you'll want to learn python, but you don't need to go to a lower-level, it's just bureaucracy down there.

>Introduction to the theory of computation - Sipser

He said he has a decent math background. Sipser is the book you recommend to high school kids or gifted middle schoolers.

OP is a big boy, I'm sure he can read the word "introduction" in the title and act accordingly

>if you want to learn an actual programming language, start with a functional one. Haskell is good, OCaml or Scheme are also good alternatives.
into the trash it goes

I just want to prevent another code monkey Rasheed that starts with C++ or Java.

code monkey

software engineer

if you want to write software, pick a language which is relevant to your domain and its accompanying book
if you want to learn cs, SICP

this

Stupid kids. Veeky Forums is 18+

pick one out from the wikia

edgy

>edgy

Wut?

SICP and CMTCP for being a good programmer.
Functional programming in scala for mathematically sound programming.

What sites?

What's CMTCP?