Recent Purchases Thread

Post your recent purchases m8 I just got a box in so I've come to share it with all my friends first on Veeky Forums

Just picked this up the other day. Trying to learn Arabic with it. I've heard its actually better in Arabic.

Wish me luck.

Got Breakdowns for $5 shipped off amazon and Dubliners for 50 cents at a thrift shop, I like the way the text is arranged in this edition - there's a lot of breathing room on the page

Pretty good, OP. Sportman's Sketches is the Turgenev masterpiece, you'll be not disappointed. I hate those Malevich covers though, I don't think his paintings fit as book covers.

Dig that Mishima, what edition?

Devon please stop

Thanks I read fathers and sons, pushkin and lermontov and I enjoyed all the russian works so much I couldn't help but get more. I heard about sketches, even hemingway loved it, so I'm looking forwad to it.

As for the cover I think it's pleasing to eye, I'm unsure of gogol's style so I can't say whether it'll fit the theme or not but I don't mind. For a painting to complimentary to a book in such a way is always a bonus I think unless done poorly.

Of all the things to read in Arabic, you chose MK?

The most recent Vintage publishing

I dont like P&V as a rule but i'm a big fan of their Gogol collection. I think it's the best one available in English. bretty gud batch overall user

Thanks m8 I read it was one of the few P&V collections so i'm excited for it, I thought it'd be a lot better to get into before i ever touched dead souls.

As a Ruski, I get so triggered at filthy western """""""""""Readers""""""""" not sticking to their own inferior filthy """"""""""""literature"""""""""" and leeching off of ours. its not like they even read the objectively superior and more complex originals anyway.

it also applies to film and games, ironically enough.

Got these for about 10 bucks last week, almost finished with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I'm loving it.

>reading cuckoos nest instead of watching the movie

edgelord fedora confirmed. the book is inferior in every way

Seen the movie. The book and the film are completely different experiences and it's hard to put one above the other

Bullshit. They're completely different. is right.

Good
Memes
I've heard the Borges translation in that is poor but at least its all in one place.

Last night I ordered:

I Am Providence; the biography of H.P. Lovecraft, 1000+ pages and made by the top Lovecraft scholar. It's two volumes so somewhat expensive.

Who Goes There?, the book which the film The Thing is based on.

Whatever by Michel Houellebecq, based on a infograph made by Veeky Forums. Basically a misanthrope's musings.

The King In Yellow by Robert Chambers, a book that heavily inspired Lovecraft.

I needed the Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, & Tales for a class this past semester, it's a great book.

For me:
>Herman Hesse: Autobiographical Writings
>Herman Hesse: Journey to the East
>Thomas Wolfe: Look Homeward, Angel

Good choices.

The art of war
Wuzi

Bump

How'd i do lads

>Borges non-fictions
Nice

I've been reading through Borges fictions and loving it. I was planning on picking up the poetry collection next. How did you like his non-fictions? Should I reconsider?

I need to get around to Providence but im currently going through Weird Realism: Lovecraft and Philosophy which has been tremendously interesting.

Full of critical insight into the mans work

A Sportsman's Notebook is absolute GOAT OP.

There were at least 3 stories that made me cry like a bitch. Hopefully you like it as much as I did.

>gr penguin edition
You tried

Ohh... I like that 'Dubliners' cover.

Post Office is fun read.

Excluding the Mishima book, you could have bought used editions of all those books, in fine condition, for essentially nothing, or just borrowed them free from a local library. Why shell out hella cash for new productions of the same old classics, and especially ones found so easily for a bargain as Milton and Plato? I don't get it.

some people are not living in misery like you

Man doesn't require a beggar's circumstances to disdain gaudiness, or the waste of vanity. However, your worldview sounds of the type that might profit from some such destitution.

anyone else wanna concur w/ this opinion?