Why can I only enjoy books written (or translated) in my native language?

Why can I only enjoy books written (or translated) in my native language?

I've been living in the UK for 15 years now, and I find my self paying twice as much (or more) for imported books.

Does any one else feel this way?

Other urls found in this thread:

lingholic.com/how-many-words-do-i-need-to-know-the-955-rule-in-language-learning-part-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=doh2d4NIeTw
quora.com/What-are-the-most-beautiful-languages
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's your native language? Russian? German?

>paying for books

Portuguese, which is really sad. 6th most spoken language in the world. Still, France and Germany still manage to have more translations than we do.

Does Portuguese have any specific linguistic structures that can't be translated easy?

Not quite, it's pretty much the same as any other romance language.

Way more adjectives and words than the English language as a whole.
It's very close to Spanish and they get a lot more.

>audio
>books

Pick one.

So you've been living in the UK for 15 years and struggle to read in English?

>more words than the english language

I hate it when people say this shit
I've heard the french say, the chinese say and now a Portuguese guy. No language has more words than the english language one reason being because of how many different geographically remote locations speak english. Each place having their own culture (etc.) which in turn leads to neologisms that over time become part of the greater whole which is the english language.

Find me a reputable source that says portuguese has more words than english and i may concede my point, but otherwise I call bullshit.
(and not some shitty nationalistic newspaper article pls)

>Find me a reputable source that says portuguese has more words than english and i may concede my point

lingholic.com/how-many-words-do-i-need-to-know-the-955-rule-in-language-learning-part-2/

English: 171,476
Portuguese: 390,000

>"the dictionary excludes inflections, does not cover several technical and regional vocabularies,"

>"If distinct senses were counted, ... the total word count would probably approach three quarters of a million."

>enjoy

>Being this mad

Now you know why english is piss easy to learn.

Let me quote the same article to try to end this fruitless fight:

>"In any case, if I had to give a short answer to this question, I’d say “Who cares?” Each and every language is amazingly rich and interesting in its own way. Each language has its own genius and its own personality. Arabic has apparently over fifty different words for “camel”. In Korean, there are over five different words for each color equivalent in English (i.e. red, blue, yellow, etc.) and several thousands of words have both a pure Korean and a Sino-Korean (한자어) equivalent."

Can't enjoy something if you struggle to read it.

It's weird, I speak 4 languages and even though I'm a native German I rather read the English translations of books, I read the original for books written in any language I speak but I tend to go to English translations.

>struggle
I don't think you get it.

Verb "to be" (to be somewhere/to be something)

I am
You are
He is
We are
You are
They are

Verb "estar"( to be somewhere)-----------Verb "ser" (to be something) (Portuguese)
Eu estou Eu sou
Tu estás Tu és
Ele está Ele é
Nós estamos Nós somos
Vós estais Vós sois
Eles estão Eles são

>Tfw English global lingua franca master race

>I rather read the English translations
You are a cultural cuck

Wow man you really showed us with those conjugations. If Portuguese is so great then why are we writing to each other in English right now?

Because it's the easiest language on the planet that's why.

So simply being difficult makes a language superior?

>Implying

Thousands of phonemes, most of which require you to actually know the word. For example:

>Through
>Though
>Thorough

Not to mention all the irregularity. Apart from the writing system, Japanese is far easier; to name but one example.

youtube.com/watch?v=doh2d4NIeTw

That's gutter-speak if I've ever heard it.

I dont know much about portuguese, but I searched in Google for "the most beautiful language in the world", and quite strangely one of the first answears I read mentioned Portuguese:

quora.com/What-are-the-most-beautiful-languages

It is indeed quite sonorous. But I think that this fighting of "muh language" is quite stupid.

Also, I must mention that I love the fact that English is simple to learn; to me this is a strong point, not a weak one.

>No language has more words than the english language
lol

idk man, sounds silly. most people learn other languages to enjoy literature in its original language, as it was meant to be

but on the other hand, i kinda get what you're saying; things i read in my native language resonate with me far more often than in english

>tfw 2 mil people speak my language
fml

What I noticed about the Portuguese is that when people have in mind the European Portuguese, they think "This is kind of an aggressive language, is like a worsened-Spanish, it is not ugly, but it's not beautiful: something is missing in it", but when they hear the Portuguese of Brazil, everything changes, and people come to wonder if it's even the same language, and they say "Oh, how sweet, oh, how sonorous is this language; it is the language of the songs, people talk as if thei were singing, it's like a language spoken by birds. "

Even so Italian is the most beautiful language in the world ;)

>2mil

What's your native language?