Is vaping actually bad for your health?

Is vaping actually bad for your health?
I though it was just water, how can that be bad for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2015/05/26/opinion/joe-nocera-smoking-vaping-and-nicotine.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Obviously it's not just water. It's also nicotine. And other stuff.

We don't know if that's bad for your lungs yet. Err on the side of caution. Or die of stupidity, your choice.

unknown additives going directly into the tissue of your lungs.

Why would it be just water??
And probably yes. It can likely cause popcorn lung.

Vape cancer.

It's not water, it's vegetable glycerin and PEG. We'll see eventually.

Well obviously, it's not GOOD for your health. And obviously, it's not JUST water - there are other additives, including nicotine itself.

That said, it's (probably) not AS bad for your health as tobacco is.

>Why would it be just water??
Well its called vaping, I thought it was water vapor.

>unknown additives
What?

>it's not JUST water - there are other additives, including nicotine itself.
Couldn't you just not add additives? Like how people roll cigs made of just Tobacco ?

Stand by your kettle if you want to vape steam.

Bad for your health because of the lack of sex.

It's not even water vapor as the base...

Is vaping bad for you? Yes.
Is eating slightly charred meat worse? Yes.
Is smoking a cigarette worse? By many order of magnitude.

The overall concentration of carcinogenic and all around bad stuff in vape liquid is anywhere from 9 times to 380 times less concentrated then a similar puff from a cigarette. It's not safe, as is breathing, eating, singing, sneezing, sunbathing, going outside and taking a shit.

There are certain additives that are pretty bad but even with the addition of those flavors (cinnamon and popcorn the worst offenders) they don't even approach cigarettes. Plus there are many labs in Europe at the moment testing toxicity and carcinogenic profiles of various flavors so they can be banned or approved.

>Is pouring boiling water on you actually bad for your health?I though it was just water, how can that be bad for you?

It certainly isn't good for you, but as many users argued above, it certainly is better than cigarettes are.

Personally, it helped me quitting tobacco.

yes it causes you to temporarily suffocate which causes minor brain damage.

all of the brain damage adds up over time the more you vape, you will never get back the neurons you lost.

please leave this board forever .
And after you do delete system32

>>temporary suffocating
do you even understand what you are talking about?

Given that vaping involves inhaling water heated to (and probably past) boiling point, I'm going to bet it isn't great for any organic molecules in your lungs that rely on hydrogen bonding or van der Walls' forces to maintain their structures:
>Most proteins
>DNA
It probably also messes up the cell surface membranes of your epithelial cells too.

I mean, it's never been tested, but that's what would happen on paper, so...

Vaping does not involve boiling water. Go read the ingredients of e-liquids, water is not a major component of what you inhale.

According to the BMJ its about 5% as unhealthy as smoking.

Ah, my mistake. Most of these sources are stating variable temperatures, but the lowest I've seen is 60°C, with the vast majority stating more around the 150-250°C mark, so the effect on these organic molecules would probably be the same.
Also, the nicotine in vapes will increase the likelihood of thrombosis, so that's not ideal...

>just water
yeah no.
nytimes.com/2015/05/26/opinion/joe-nocera-smoking-vaping-and-nicotine.html

I don't know what you read but my vape doesn't shoot hot gas into my mouth. It actually is on the cool side.

If the atomizer is open and the coil is exposed, and you charge it, the vapor coming off the coil is very hot and very dense. But it gets mixed with cool room temp air and will expand a little in the atomizer, which cools the vapor. Once it enters your lungs, it expands (and cools) to a much greater extent. On a hot day, the vapor you exhale will feel noticeably cool on your skin.

So pretty much, when the vapor goes from the tiny chamber in the vape to the much larger airways in your body, the vapor becomes less dense and less hot.

Also, some people are arguing that vaping, as there is not a wealth of research on it, will soon be discovered to be as bad or worse than cigarettes/tobacco. However, in just about every possible way, vapes have either none of or a significantly smaller amount of bad shit when compared to cigarettes. Even the popcorn lung shit, diacetyl, is apparently found in cigarettes in higher concentrations than in vape liquid. But cigarette smokers aren't suffering from popcorn lung either. Popcorn lung is called popcorn lung because popcorn factory workers were suffering from massive chronic exposures to the shit. I haven't heard of one case of popcorn lung in a patient who wasn't exposed to industrial quantities of diacetyl while working at their job.

Another common sense reason why vaping could not be as harmful as cigarettes is that there is greatly reduced carbon monoxide. Cigarette smoke is very rich in CO and you suck concentrated puffs of it directly into your lungs. On the ambulance, I have seen some impressively shitty O2 saturation numbers, particularly people who were smoking a cigarette right before being hooked up to the monitor. The acute CO poisoning is significant enough.

Vaping seems to involve a smaller bouquet of chemicals. ideally, the vape liquid just undergoes a phase change. With combustion, a million chemical reactions happen, where some chemicals enter the body as a vapor, others are broken down by combustion, incomplete combustion, etc etc etc. And probably a good percentage of that shit is poison/cancer causing.

It seems impossible that vaping could be as bad as smoking cigarettes.

VAPE is probably about 100-1000x safer for you than Smoking. It depends on how much you modify things and how hot your burn the e-liquid though.

If you use good parts and good eliquid while not pushing the burning temperature too high, it's pretty safe.

Thanks; that makes a bit more sense than what some people were claiming online.
Still, inhaling vaporised glycerol and propane-1,2-diol might not be great for your health. We really should have tested these before selling them.

naw bro vaping cures cancer

Fucking lol

is this thread bait, OP?

Well the FDA is regulating them and people are researching it now, but I doubt those will be problematic. PEG is widely known as a green chemistry solvent because it's so nontoxic and glycerin isn't dangerous either.

What worries me is that I have to do a lot of research on any liquid to make sure it has safe additives, and the FDA will eventually regulate that. I also don't trust the cheap liquid from China, etc.

Zero nic flavors exist though they still contain the additives.

>they still contain the additives.
Never mind the additives, you're voluntarily becoming addicted to a drug that has almost no high.
At least cigarettes were a cool fashion accessory, once upon a time.
Vaping isn't, and probably never will be.

If some cunt was vaping near me and using a fluid with nicotine in it I would kick his ass.
Vapers are so inconsiderate

This guy STOLE EVERYTHING from Tim & Eric.

They should probably sue him too.

Well smoking is not really bad for you, so I assume vaping is even less bad for you, except for the popcorn lung thing and people letting their e-cigs explode.

they are bad for yuo because they arent taxed as much as cigaretes :^)