Who here reads scientific articles in their free time?

Who here reads scientific articles in their free time?

What are the pleasures and pains you get from it, personally?

i dont have autismt.

Bump

Yes, I occasionally read articles about new medical treatments and research etc. It comes from wanting to know the original sources behind lots of shitty newspaper reporting like the Daily Mail's THIS THING CAUSES/CURES CANCER etc.

Reading a bit of basic statistics helped. There is also a really good introductory ebook/website into how medicines are tested, called Testing Treatments, that describes the methodology behind medical tests. I have online access to the journals (Nature, etc) where articles are published. Also Ben Goldacre's books Bad Science and Bad Pharma do a good job of explaining why everyone should be interested in reading research like that.

>haha wanting to know how things work, instead of just sitting around thinking really deep thoughts about them, is "autismt"
yeah fuck off you iimbecile

I read them when there's something I'm looking into out of interest.

For example I read a few studies on Indole-3-Carbinol yesterday.

humanities articles are better grammar and vocabulary.

stem articles are written by 12 year-old who can hardly speak but yet manage to think that they are pedagogical in their communication. Their topography is equally awful, since they think that it is enough to use latex to have a good article. The best part is when they leave a baseline stretch of 2.

Now the content. The stem kids think they have content because they cling to their fantasy of the relevance of the formal deductive reasonings, with a bit of induction to validate their speculations.

The humanities people at least do not pretend to discover the truth and bring it to the plebs. They share their opinions and know the limit of their endeavor.
The stem kids get butthurt very quickly from the way the people humanities communicate. But then nobody cares much about what stem kids talk about, since hardly anybody is willing to embrace their autism.

Is this copy pasta?

If anything it's the journalists' fault for being part of such a shitty industry. They are obligated to present every study, no matter how dubious its method, sample size or correlations, as being God's given Truth. Thus you find out that everything ever causes cancer, that Alzheimer is caused by everything ever, that correlation and causality are one and the same thing, etc.

seeing as how most scientific articles are implicitly or explicitly directed to only their professional audience and are rarely comprehensible to anyone who doesn't at least have a BS in the particular field, no.

Can confirm. My school introduced English requirements for the manufacturing technologies/automotive courses because recruiters are complaining about how they get people who can't communicate with their bosses or clients. And now they're introducing basic math as a requirement because they keep getting people who can't figure out what the opposing leg of a .1 inch long 45 degree chamfer is.

My god, the level of autism in this post...

>If anything it's the journalists' fault for being part of such a shitty industry

that's why you have to read the original sources. science journalism in the mainstream press is universally terrible. just read any news article about e.g. recommended daily intake of salt or sugar or whatever. often any mention of the original source is buried somewhere near the bottom of the article and probably says something pretty far removed from the headline or main message of the article.

Currently a Physics undergrad and I like to tackle math papers as best I can. Usually this means just trying to understand the terminology and very, very basic understanding of minute things in the paper. Trying to understand these papers helps me feel confident against tackling any non-grad level mathematics I'll encounter in my major studies.

In short, it keeps me from having any anxiety about not being able to tackle any of my current studies.

pic related

What did you think of Jarre's recent "Electronica" albums?

Jean Michel Jarre is a fraud.

>i failed technical writing and humanities lets me make up words and sentence structure like i'm joyce :3
Most STEM articles I read have a better understanding of English than humanities. I'm assuming you're American, because that's where that dichotomy holds strongest: it's unfortunately also the place where they tell humanities studies not to use the passive voice because they'll just fuck it up so there goes your theory in the one venue it could hold true.

>who can't figure out what the opposing leg of a .1 inch long 45 degree chamfer is.
>complaining about people who rightfully don't want to pollute their minds with American potato units

It's kinda true.

Oxygene is the only one Iike.

Scientists are the new priests.