Bought pre-seasoned pic related to cook my ribeye

>bought pre-seasoned pic related to cook my ribeye
>Used youtube.com/watch?v=rEx9gPhtjzs method to cook my steak
>steak came out brown

WTF!?!?! Why wont this thing sear!!! Too much oil? Is that a thing with cast iron pans? I seared steaks better with a regular non-stick iron pan...

Also, say its the stove that dont get hot enough is there anything I can do about that? Other than moving because the stove came with the apartment

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE
youtu.be/r8zGEc2ohBM?t=1m32s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>steak came out brown
What color was it supposed to be? Anyway you obviously didn't wait for the pan to get hot enough first, dumb ass.

>pre-seasond
Disgusting
Also they sear just fine fag, just get the pan hotter before putting your steaks in.
Your steak is probably brown colored from the chemicals on your pan.

I didnt know what preseasoned mean

Also, that thing was smoking before i put the steak in

make sure the pan is hot
also don't move the steak around or it won't sear

water is the enemy to a good crusty sear.

pat your steaks down with a paper towel, soak up all that moisture. maybe let the steaks sit out and air dry a bit.

>steak came out brown
Wat? What color should it have been?

Also, if you're not getting a good sear, even if the pan was screaming hot as you claimed, it's likely the steak was too wet. I honestly feel it's more likely the pan wasn't as hot as you think, but whatever.

Try putting your steak on a plate or rack, uncovered, in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before you cook it. The outside will get a little dry, but that's fine- that's all moisture you'd have lost during the sear anyway. Getting rid of it now means you don't have to use the heat of your pan to get rid of it later, meaning you get a better sear.

>Try putting your steak on a plate or rack, uncovered, in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before you cook it.
solid advice, I do this every time for at least 24 hours

Hot pan is necessary. But steak has to be room temp and dry as well.

>room temp
And how long do you leave your steaks on the counter before they become "room temp" because after 4 hours they're BARELY any warmer (2-5 degrees F.)

>preseasoning is bad
>chemicals made your steak brown
you sound nearly as stupid as the OP

>I didnt know what preseasoned mean
You surprise me /s. The seasoning is a layer from oil cooked onto the pan. It prevents rusting and food from sticking.

>Also, that thing was smoking before i put the steak in
It shouldn't be smoking if you put oil on it (assuming did put oil). That means the oil went past its smoke point, making it taste like shit and ruining whatever you cook on it.

As long as it takes. If I'm buying them the same day I'm cooking them they never go in the fridge at all.

>if I'm buying it the same day I'm cooking it
it'll never be room temp the same day, unless you bought it at 6am.

Do steaks have their own internal cooling unit or am I missing out on something..?
Fresh meat from the store doesn't hold cold temperatures that long long, unless you live on the north pole. One hour should be enough, if it's still cold, I'm seriously wondering how you do it.

>To test this, I pulled a single 15-ounce New York strip steak out of the refrigerator, cut it in half, placed half back in the fridge, and the other half on a ceramic plate on the counter. The steak started at 38°F and the ambient air in my kitchen was at 70°F. I then took temperature readings of its core every ten minutes.

>After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge.

Is it an electric stove OP? I used to have the same problem. i can preheat the pan to smoking on medium, but once the steak hits the pan, it'll start drawing all the heat out of the pan while turning water into steam at the surface of the meat. The surface of the meat won't rise above boiling point until the water has been driven out. I heat until smoking, then throw the steak in, then crank the temp up right away to compensate for the heat loss. It just takes some practice, and is much easier with gas.

>core temp at whatever
unless I've been doing it wrong,
core temp doesn't matter, it's the surface temp (and surface dryness) that matters.

Okay fine, but when you take the steak out of the fridge, condensation is going to appear on the surface. That's going to make it too moist and completely eliminating your chances at a good sear

A well known kitchen / cooking show recently tested out the idea of room temp steak vs frozen steak.

youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE

I picked up a couple of better quality cuts from the local butcher, tried the frozen cook. It seems to make a difference.

As for the OP...from the post it sounds like you bought a pan, gave it a quick rinse, then fired it up? Lodge pans, pre-seasoned, are crap in the initial uses. Best to burn off all of the factory finish (self cleaning oven cycle), then season it in the good old-fashioned way. Takes some time, but it makes a difference. The use a high smoke temp oil.

What is dramatic exaggeration :-)

Have a more thorough explanation
youtu.be/r8zGEc2ohBM?t=1m32s