>Flannery O'conner
>Graham Greene
>Evelyn Waugh
>Andre Dubus
>Anthony Burgess
>Tobias Wolff
>Tolkien

Any suggestions?

Augustine. Dante. That guy who made a Pilgrim's Progress.

Hell Plotinus and Boethius are well worth a read

Pinecone and DeLillo are both papist scum.

It certainly doesn't show.
Gene Wolfe
Hilaire Belloc
John Henry Newman
Thomas More
Thomas Merton
Shusaku Endo
G. K. Chesterton

There's a shitload, a year of diligent reading of Catholic only will only scratch the surface, assuming you want to read more than one work by each.

I dunno if they're active Catholics. I'm starting to suspect Cormac McCarthy returned to the faith around the time of The Road

religion is a coping mechanism once you face your failure of your life, just like other contrived fantasizes, your faith in the scientific method included.

Religions are meant to leave material-bodily hedonism, travels, concerts, foods, sex and so on, for a spiritual hedonism, through prayers for theists and mediation for atheists.
Plenty of material hedonist love to think of themselves as less hedonistic than they are, since it improves their hedonism in thinking that they are not animals...most people who claim to be religious are not all, it is just the way they are.
In buddhism, you even leave this spiritual hedonism, after you have gained it, which is called jhanas, since you understand that this bliss from prayers, which is just a great, but not perfect concentration-stilness, are not personal nor permanent and that you are still prone to avidity and aversion.

>gene wolfe top of your list for essential catholic authors

man these fanboys are relentless

you could blog about these things instead of shitting up threads with completely unrelated posts

Joyce.

He's in the top 3 Catholic authors in the past 150 years, easy. He's absolutely brilliant.
It's quite vague. I don't think he did.

Of course Joyce rejected the Church and its teachings as an adult, he was still very influenced by Catholicism, specifically Aquinas and his Jesuit. He also used to attend mass during Holy Week. But you can't claim him as a Catholic; he belongs to the nonreligious tribe.

>Jesuit
I meant "Jesuit education". Mistakes were made.

What exactly was the take way from all the God talk that was going on in The Road?

You could probably say he's a great Catholic author in the sense that Chekhov was a great Christian author.

It's just the relatively basic musings of a character.
There's nothing in it which specifically says "I now believe in the Catholic faith" any more than atheist musings do in say Brothers Karamazov say Dostoevsky is not a Christian.
It's very in line with what an average American influenced by Christianity would think like. Well his writings are in many ways very Catholic, but he himself was not religious.
He's an odd case, where if he wasn't reminiscent of Catholic ideals wouldn't have been half the author he is now, but his case is often specifically against the Catholic faith.

Why do you want a list of such things?
It's one thing to ask for a list of writers on topics pertaining to Catholicism but another to merely want a list of Catholic authors.
It's like people wanting lists of women or black authors.

Probably so he can read them and generally discuss things about them.

Women cannot be religious because they are flooded with cads and robots cocks. Women can only be religious when before they swim in pussy cum, they get higher hedonism than orgasms provided by chads and robots. very few women are like this.

Belloc's works of apologia are very powerful.

The End of the Affair and The Power and the Glory are pretty solid by Greene

Also you forgot Shusaku Endo's Silence, which is the best book on Catholicism I've read in a long time.

Belloc was never mentioned until like 3 months ago, what caused the surge?

Non-practicing Catholic is still Catholic.

And he loved Aquinas and Aristotle.

Like 5 of the people in the goodreads thread read great heresies at once, or at least thats what my feed said, and they are all prolific shitposters and catholic posters. Also in Soumission Belloc's economic ideas are espoused (Distributism) and every asshole on here read it.

He is also probably the most legitimate source of conservative lit that isn't pillfag or /pol/.

A non practicing Catholic isn't a Catholic.
Dayum my shill has gone far.
Also, The Servile State is still his best.

>A non practicing Catholic isn't a Catholic.

>Leave church over the whole rape thing and disgust in obsession over doctrine
>go to new church, liberal ecumenical christian free will baptist
>cant say "thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory"
>feel tremendous guilt over over taking communion without cconfession
>feel the weight of sin
>soul feels as though new church lacks legitimacy even though rationally I know it doesnt

You are a Catholic until you die unfortunately

dont worry their communion isn't real anyway but why am i saying this if i'm an agnostic why does catholicism feel so true to me help

John Bunyan wrote Pilgrim's Progress fyi.
I'm also gonna second Dante

Of course a liberal ecumenical church rationally lacks legitimacy, because it has none whatsoever.
You are also going to hell if you take communion without confession, assuming the changes actually happen in ungodly churches.

I never took Cormac McCarthy for an atheist.

Flann O'Brian

>Leave church over the whole rape thing and disgust in obsession over doctrine
kek, this delusion

>church more liberal and worthless than it has ever been
>literally homosex from the 60's and 70's sexual revolutions in the church raping up boys
>grrr im'a leave the church
>actually joins church that is pretty much the same
>doesn't seem to acknowledge the difference between actual eucharist and just bread
my mind just cannot comprehend the ignorance of a person such as yourself

Why not go East Orthodox?

Georges Bernanos
Léon Bloy
François Mauriac
Paul Claudel

I don't think he's an atheist either.
I just don't see him as a Catholic.
He's said to be a Gnostic afaik

Dante obviously

St Augustine, Aquinas

nah, he was just Irish everyone's like that here. Even the most fedora tipping atheists use catholic memes and go to the odd mass.

Like Joyce, he was just Irish. There's nothing explicitly catholic beyond general rural Irish shite-talk

Marshall McLuhan

OUTTA MY WAY VENITIAN SCUM

G-d.

Shakespeare was likely secretly Catholic just like his father John.

this

>including Tolkien
Might as well include C.S. Lewis if that's how inclusive you definition of "Catholic" is tbqh.

Tolkien was an orthodox, practicing Catholic. What do you mean?

If you count catholic literature as literally every author who was catholic then you're going to have a pretty broad list.

Tolkien's Catholicism was important to his work though and he wrote on the subject of religion a decent bit iirc. Plus he helped to convert C.S. Lewis to Christianity.

Tolkien is very biblical with lots of religious themes

Wolfe makes Catholic doctrine an important plot point in some of his stories. Not certain if the main character is human or artificial war machine HORRAR in The Horrars of War? Look, yon star in the sky, little star of Bethlehem .. lo, he is both fully human and fully HORRAR, as Christ is both fully human and fully divine, redeeming the HORRARS to humanity. No other author brings Catholic dogma to actual SF plot significance like Wolfe (don't get me started on Eucharists in his work).

He.writes.genre.fiction.

Walker Percy

fuck off you dirty protestant dog.

If you're from that there area you should.
If you're from previously Catholic countries it makes sense to go Catholic as you get more support through the local community

He's always been shilled but he just can't catch on it seems.

>not doing a graphic/chart .png
why user?

I already made one, it's ms paint master skills and needs more works I've read in the meantime

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdolFXcNAH4
>Like Joyce, he was just Irish. There's nothing explicitly catholic beyond general rural Irish shite-talk
You mean Catholic, not catholic, and you missed a lot of their work. Most of O'Brien especially because The Hard Life, The Poor Mouth, Brother Barnabas etc

>no catechism
wtf?

DFW tried converting twice. No discernible faith.

"It depends what day you ask" was his response to Oprah.

Gene Wolfe

are we counting Wilde's deathbed confession?

No.
Junger's or Zola's either. They died Catholic, but didn't write or live Catholic as far as the spirit of their works goes, it's something else.

Wilde's got quite a few references to his admiration for Catholics through his work the love of ceremony, the robes and paraphernalia, writing children's stories where Jesus saves the giant/prince, the bit in his prison letters about how Jesus has the best sentimentality Zola I can understand because a lot of his work is antiChurch progenetics, but Wilde tried to convert a few times. It was probably harder to find a Catholic priest willing to baptise him apart from on his deathbed for him than it would have been for Zola who did the heel-face-turn, despite Wilde never really having anything expect warm fuzzy things to say about the Church.

>the love of ceremony, the robes and paraphernalia,
IT'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

>that scene where Dorian is checking out all his collectable Catholic shit
fucking diamonds

The modern world will burn and sspx will rebuild it.

W.B.Yeats is pretty cool

Tolkien's Catholicism was absolutely central to his literature though.

Seconded.

Joseph de Maistre
Donoso Cortes
Ernest Hello
Barbey
Bloy
late Huysmans
Barrès
Bernanos
Julien Green
Boutang
Huguenin

>François Mauriac
>Paul Claudel
Nice. For Mauriac, only the early stuff though.

We should compose a massive chart from this thread.
There's a lot of authors who are unknown here or deserve more popularity.

jolly good thread, lads
i agree

Was John Kennedy Toole actively Catholic or lapsed?

I'll bump