Does the "Intelligent people are more depressed" meme have any basis in reality?

Does the "Intelligent people are more depressed" meme have any basis in reality?

Is there any real science to back up the idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Link between intelligence and mental health issues
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/21/mental-ill-health-creativity-high-iq-genius
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1572949
themindunleashed.org/2015/10/intelligent-people-stay-up-later-do-more-drugs-have-more-sex.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

something something extremely smart something can't relate to people who are x standard deviations below you in intelligence something something

>"Is there any real science to BLACK up the idea?"

ftfy

Yeah because they have to answer stupid questions like this all day.

They don't have to. They choose to. You're simply stupid too.

lmgtfy.com/?q=Link between intelligence and mental health issues

Probably more to do with being singled out as "gifted" from a young age, which might work to isolate them for one, as well as reinforcing feelings of mental superiority that would carry over into emotional superiority ("I feel more deeply than others", etc.)

>source: former "gifted" child

Nope, it's probably the opposite: intelligent, logical people have more realistic expectations and understand how to act and build relationships in a way that fosters life satisfaction and happiness.

Being smart so you realize all the nice stuff you miss out on can be bad for health. If you're retarded maybe most of those things would just fly over your head and you would be happily unaware of them.

Depression is associated with low IQ.

So all you "I'm depressed because i'm so smart" fags can go be an hero.

Blindly trusting what people write anonymously online is probably also associated with low IQ.

rigorously and unambiguously define intelligence and depression .

Depression is associated with lack of motivation and underachieving. Can you use your generously high IQ to derive anything from that?

I'm not OP but I guess most definitions would have depression to include symptoms of underachieving and lack of motivation and intelligence to be what is measured by a test of some sort.

You are smart, then you realise there is nothing to live for, nothing that makes sense in thes infinite universe, whats even the point in all of this? What can you do when everything can be expressed whith chemistry and this with physics?

no
In fact depression is most often found in the mentally retarded
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/21/mental-ill-health-creativity-high-iq-genius
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1572949
Intelligent people also do more drugs and have more sex
themindunleashed.org/2015/10/intelligent-people-stay-up-later-do-more-drugs-have-more-sex.html

In my own and my friends experiences with depression, yes. But that's obviously anecdotal and not necessarily accurate as a whole

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis

Semi related.

Nope. It's same kind of lie as "great personality".

I think there's probably something to it. Intelligent people are likely thinking about the world's problems more often than the average problem, because intelligent people will try to figure out solutions instead of just saying, "it can't be helped" and moving on with their lives like the average joe would.

Intelligent people are usually not entertained or interested in the same sorts of things the average person is, making socialization considerably harder. This is something I experience from time to time... while I'm looking for enthralling conversation about space exploration or the origins of humanity most people just want to talk about the upcoming sportsball game or the latest game of thrones episode. That gap can be hard to close.

>average problem
*average person

intelligent people have their existential crisis much earlier in life, and it is a lot easier at this point in time. short term yes, long term definitely no

that's the basic argument in favor of the idea that intelligent people are more burdened.

being in a blissful state is easier, but it also comes with an unconscious understanding that you are lacking as a result of this state. I'd theorize that most people who are unhappy about a generally decent/good situation are in the process of unconsciously realizing they could be more than how they act and behave. It's just a matter of identifying you could be more and striving to honestly attain a higher state of living/thought.

can confirm.

Its a weird contradiction between being told you are better than everyone else but that you are not at the same time

They don't derive happiness from the same things as other people.
They're also saddened by things that other people would be unaffected by.

A difference in spectrum than your own make it easy to notice. If you're sad, you don't notice other people who are sad. If you're happy, you tend to only notice the un-happy people.

Smart people tend to have a far more objective look on reality and are thus forced to do a little more mental gymnastics to be happy, but meh.

A lot of the time happiness gets viewed as overrated and just a state of being that may or may not be immediately beneficial to the situation and is never the goal of any one event.

No

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism

/thread

rigorously and unambiguously define gravity.
checkmate STEMfag