When do trig functions stop being important in college level math

When do trig functions stop being important in college level math.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I4mcja8abDc
pstcc.edu/facstaff/jwlamb/1910/unitcircletrigreview.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1) they don't.
2) okay, algebra. But algebra done right will still have some trig by way of examples.

You'll see them again in complex and differential equations.

Don't ever count on something that you don't like going away.

most majors don't have to take diffEQ. they'll come back like the ghost of your wife's husband in calc 2 though

Don't forget trig substitution for integrating.

They don't

When they're replaced by exponentials and logarithms

When you stop having a real degree.

Ah I see, I'll never escape them. Guess I'll be taking trig every semester until I graduate just to keep me refreshed about them.

You may as well memorize all that shit user. Trig doesn't go away.

lmao. They only grow in importance. I'd recommend you understand them thoroughly now to make your life easier. Once you hit Cacl II get ready for trigonometric substitution. It can be lovely and beautiful, or a pure pain in the ass if you try to force your way through.

Learn to cope with it. It won't go away.

Abstract Algebra

This or in discrete mathematics. I don't really recall seeing them in Statistics either

1) Yes, it is true that you will never escape it ("trig") so long as you continue to study mathematics.
2) No, you do not have the right to get snarky about what you don't like, as this post suggests. The overwhelming majority of the thread has TOLD you, because we actually know what we are talking about. Your rhetorical suggestion that you will be "taking trig" is also disingenuous and I think that even you understand this. Rather, trig is applied to other areas of math on a regular basis.

3) Math is one of the most vertically oriented areas of intellectual endeavor. You need to know certain primitives before you can do other things. trig is one of those primitives. You can't learn calculus, say, until you have a meaningful and fairly sophisticated (knowing dozens of different bits of information) understanding of elementary algebra, trig, and coordinate geometry.

4) mite be troll, but we roll with it.
5) if you're not a troll OP, and if trig is that damn hateful to you for whatever reason, then you seriously don't have any business continuing to study math. trig is an easy fucking concept with triangles, angles and circles, and you can rediscover it at will.

All of engineering, physics, math, chem, yes even bio. What other sci majors are there.

Trig is the easiest fucking thing, which bits of math are you actually OK with if not them?

>trig
>difficult

Should have picked humanities m8.

diffEQ made me sad to wake up.

Trig functions are fundemental as fuck
Why the fuck would you think they 'go awau'

What the hell do you find so hard about trig?

Even the retards that come through for tutoring understand trig for the most part

The real annoying thing is the random algebra concepts that come back
Calc 2: Completing the square, factoring a trinomial, polar stuff
Calc 3: CONICS fuck these

It's literally 3 diagrams you need to remember. It isn't that hard family.

Here's a video that may help you. It's a PatrickJMT series on deriving identities.

youtube.com/watch?v=I4mcja8abDc

>doesn't enjoy completing the square
>doesn't enjoy factoring trinomials
>doesn't enjoy polar graphs
>annoying, random algebra stuff
>random
>annoying

Why are you studying math if you hate it? I literally can't fucking understand people like you. There are so many of you and I just can't fucking fathom why you keep doing it to yourselves. How can you not enjoy factoring trinomials? It's so fucking easy and fun and useful. I mean, even if you don't enjoy it, can't you at least see the benefit of it? You're not one of those, "hurr when am uh gun' use it?", are you?

Literally don't study math if you don't enjoy it. There's too many of you that ruin it for the rest of us. Maybe a trade job might be more enjoyable. There are less symbols and you don't have to move them around as much!

If you need help with trig this is a great PDF with just about anything you'll ever need to reference (unit circle, identities, trig concepts etc).

pstcc.edu/facstaff/jwlamb/1910/unitcircletrigreview.pdf

>

This guy >8109405 has it right.

Learn trig; they are almost always the mercy problems that are tough simply because you have to know the relationships.

Fourier [anything] are just about the single most useful mathematical tools in nearly every field of science and mathematics, pure/theory/applied/whatever. Without the concept of those trigonometric functions we could not engineer even a small fraction of the technology we have today.

The irony is that people like you make math unbearable. You come off as someone who's entire personality is derived from their math degree. We can tell you have no real friends.

No

Even when you're out of college, STEM careers frequently involve trig functions

Huh? No one studying maths enjoys doing trivial things such as completing the square or factoring trinomials.
You have bad taste in maths if you enjoy doing those things.

>When do trig functions stop being important in college level math.
>God damn I really hate addition. When does it go away?

The answer to this question is that basic concepts NEVER go away in maths

Completing the square is bullshit.
>not enjoying partial fractions

Thats a real crime

Agreed. I have a sick fascination with partial fractions. It has some weird satisfaction to it.

ITT arithmetists trying to talk about math. you little undergrad babies r so cute :3

Do engineers do anything beyond partial DiffEq and possibly Topology?

stochastic processes, statistics, Fourier transform and graph theory too to name something.

I feel that some of the trivial algebra stuff takes away from initial problem you're solving.
I don't mind finding the surface area or area of a polar equation, it's just that I had an annoying professor would give complicated polar equations that you had to graph by hand. The graphing was more tedious than the problem itself. I already went through graphing a polar equation in a previous class, why the fuck am I wasting time doing it again?

I enjoy math, especially calculus and beyond. I do not enjoy having to randomly recall a previous method that I was taught in 7th grade and never used until then.

>The irony is that people like you make math unbearable.
If you dislike math because of your classmates, maybe the problem is you never liked it in the first place.

we got a problem on exam were we had to plot a vector field. it was like he made it to eat away our time.

>engineers
>topology
Cmon guy, only if they are doing something super specialized for a PhD

Thats what I mean. My cousin is a mechanical engineer who took topology and his firm has him optimizing maleable surfaces. I dont really understand it tho, im still in undergrad, im only in diffeq and calc 3 right now.

Hey guys finals next week, can someone link me to an insanely rigorous exam so I pepper my angus?