Reading Hamilton's Mythology

How necessary is it to memorize all of the divine characters and how they relate to one another in their family, among all other details?

Remembering this mythological family tree and what every god does is such a pain in the ass. Especially when the gods, their names, representations/meanings, family members, and Latin counterparts get conflated and muddled over history as much as they do.

Can I get away with just reading Mythology without trying too hard and referring back to it when I get to Homer and Plato?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wGu5RAbFxoE
imagefap.com/pictures/5105392/Ashley-Mazzella?gid=5105392&page=1&view=0
youtube.com/watch?v=AB9ZPJ4FkjI
goodreads.com/book/show/468585.Anthology_of_Classical_Myth
goodreads.com/book/show/1389340.Apollodorus_Library_and_Hyginus_Myths
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I stopped reading at around the 20% mark. I get the gist of it so I can go onto other Greek literature.

>Can I get away with just reading Mythology without trying too hard and referring back to it when I get to Homer and Plato?
yes

holy shit dont take it so seriously, youre just attempting to build a DYNAMIC understanding of the greek mythos. its important to remember that any religion or culture is not going to be static, its not going to relate in definite ways, and so memorization is counterintuitive to understanding the Greeks as an actual culture rather than as simple facts.

i wonder if guaranteed replies girl gets the irony in being a 'feminist' whose whole image is based off the male fantasy of a dependent and submissive 'alt girl' who will cling to anyone who gives her the time of day

I think it's more about the right-to-chose aspect of feminism than it is about bra-burning and all that other shit.

No just read through it and pick up what you can, don't worry about retention. I go back to it every once in a while to skim through and brush up on things; I think repeated readings are better than one extremely slow, thorough one.

Just remember the stories and who the really important guys are (hercules, zeus, apollo, etc.) Who is who's relative doesn't really matter all that much. There's probably some charts out there. Every god has at least three totally contradictory genealogies.

>mfw Perseus saves depressed Hercules from suicide like the bro he is.

At this point I just want somebody to love.

Here's a pointless story:

I saw Savannah Brown at comic con on Saturday. She was with her boyfriend. It was kind of surreal, actually seeing her in real life. She's far taller than I'd have expected.

They looked really happy together, and I was dressed as a fucking jedi.

someone have the picture of her before postmodernism

I thought it was a gay japanese boy

that slut has blowjob eyes

She made a 10 minute video about not wearing a bra. Thank you feminism
youtube.com/watch?v=wGu5RAbFxoE

She has professionally photographed nudes, user

source please

>Im comfortable
>I'm confident
>This is my body!

Yeah, keep telling yourself that lady

>plucks eyebrows
>paints hair
>paints lips
>gets tattoo
>applies foundation
>plucks eyebrows
>applies mascara
>applies eyeliner
>shaves armpits
>buys attention seeking clothing
>a titbag? this is just my natural body accept it the way it is! i'm not jiggling my tits for you it's for my own comfort!

imagefap.com/pictures/5105392/Ashley-Mazzella?gid=5105392&page=1&view=0

Why tho? Either your retarded or being a dick

That guy wasn't me. I can't find the exact set but I know that savannah has done some modeling shoots where she was topless in the woods or something. They were posted either here or on /tv/ once.

You're an idiot. If she is dressing for herself, then it makes no sense to determine, by your own standards, which items she's comfortable wearing or not wearing.

Believing that an attention whore broadcasting rants about her tits is doing those things for herself makes you the idiot, my friend.

>Can I get away with just reading Mythology without trying too hard and referring back to it when I get to Homer and Plato?
Mythology is just a tl:dr of all the Greek source material, meaning it's a waste of time if you're going to be reading Homer and co. anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=AB9ZPJ4FkjI

this guy looks like a monkey

>meaning it's a waste of time if you're going to be reading Homer and co. anyway.
Not really. Homer and other Greek writers assumed their readers/listeners were somewhat familiar with contemporary myth and religion. It makes reading them easier going if you are as well.

I'm on 5 min of video.
So far the guy said he loves poetry, probably write shit free verse. ( there is a fucking distinciton between FREE VERSE IS SHIT and SHIT FREE VERSE, i'm saying the latter).
And also states that he is obsecated with her, though not in these words.
This is a sad attempt to find common ground to say he is in love with her.
There is somethng banal and sad about that.

My god, after 5 min this is awfully cringe.
I reccomend it.

The whole video can be condensed to "Please pay attention to me, I love you". He smuggles that nugget of cringe in 8 minutes of obscurantism.

>Can I get away with just...
No son, you cannot get away with that. You're literally and literarily fucked. Just wait till the Veeky Forums Police Classics Squad hunt your ass down: you're about to find out what it really means to be ερωμένος to a bunch of big-dick εραστές.

if she'd been a good girl I would have let her boss me around for the rest of my earthly life

but I aint gettin involved with no slut :)

I enjoyed Hamilton but forgot most about it desu senpai. It's just an introduction into the mythology of the Hellenic world. It's a fun read though

He looks and sounds like the retarded kid from breaking bad

is there a huge difference between 'the library of greek mythology" and hamilton's mythology, which is prefered?

>and I was dressed as a fucking jedi.
Why would you do this to yourself

I hate men. I hate this post. I hate you.

Only a man would say that.

Uh Huh

Then you read a fucking wikipedia entry if you don't know who fucking Ares is. 90% of Hamilton's book is just summarizing each greek/roman work. And why even read that if you're going to read the originals anyway?

Because it gives you a bit of a baseline before diving into the Homeric epics. It's not needed, but it's nice to have some background information.

In terms of primary sources, these two volumes contain the totality of what we know about Greek Mythology:

"Anthology Of Classical Myth: Primary Sources in Translation": goodreads.com/book/show/468585.Anthology_of_Classical_Myth
"Apollodorus' Library and Hyginus' Fabulae: Two Handbooks of Greek Mythology": goodreads.com/book/show/1389340.Apollodorus_Library_and_Hyginus_Myths