Why do my grilled cheeses NEVER come out like this?

why do my grilled cheeses NEVER come out like this?

the bread burns quickly and the cheese never melts.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

you need to cook it as quickly as possible or else the bread dries out and then burns

preheat the pan on high until it's super hot before dropping the sandwich in

Because you can't make grilled cheese with kraft singles etc. It doesn't melt right.

wish somebody told me that like 20 years ago.

Then lower the heat for fucks sake

Get a george forman grill or one of the various knockoffs. They heat it from both sides so the cheese melts before the bread burns.

They're good for other stuff too like hotdogs. I would not recommend cooking a fresh cut of meat on one however.

use real cheese
butter both sides of the sandwhich
thats all

use lower heat

lower the heat you moron

>Because you can't make grilled cheese with kraft singles etc.
Except that's the opposite of true.

way too much cheese

Looks fine to me.

This guy is retarded.

These guys have it. Lower and slower will allow the cheese to melt without burning your bread. Kraft singles do melt oddly compared to a higher quality cheese, but it's nothing you can't fiddle with to get right.

If you want a very nice browning on your bread, be thorough when applying your butter and add a little weight to the top.

>not just putting butter in the pan baka

Butter one slice of bread and put it in a pan on low heat with cheese on top. Apply second slice of bread when ready to flip. the cold butter will slow down the cooking of the 2nd slice giving the cheese more time to melt and helps prevent the 2nd slice from burning.

what are you a fucking nigger?

heres what you do OP, use Mayo and lather up the sides youre gonna put down. be generous but dont over do it. you can use any cheese you want but personally i like my pasturized american with some smoked gouda shaving inbetween the slices. med heat. just keep it there, and flip once for each side. eyeball it, you should know when its ready unless youre autistic. if you are, just count to 290 mississippi

>Mayo
damn right. no one believes me, but mayo will give you what you're looking for.

mayo on the inside
butter on the outside
real cheese
medium heat

My name is chef.

Lower heat also take the cheese out of the fridge 10 minutes before cooking.

it burns before the cheese melts?
ahahahahahaha oh boy.

max heat on your stove doesn't mean "fast mode"

This may be very obvious, but are you taking your cheese out of the fridge well before making the sandwich so that it comes to room temperature before you use it?

Is he using olive oil?

You have to coat the outside with fat: butter, margarine, or vegetable oil spread.

Low smoke point means low heat. If you're using a pan, cover.

NO

Yes

You buttering the outside of the bread??

Because you're a faggot

This might as well be a slick, flashy remake of the doritos & ramen video

wow its a fucking grilled cheese

Slather in butter
Cook on medium and take off as soon as it bubbles
Cheese will continue to cook inside

I mean it's not hard, if you're still burning it then the heats too high

That looks like it's been fried not grilled.

Agreed

Use low to medium heat

No it doesn't.

To all dads/parents around the world, please don't feed this garbage to your kids.

i just make my sandwiches with toast, butter and cheddar. use exactly 2/3 of the heat of the stove plate!

It's literally bread and cheese nigger, do you want them to feed their kids 5-star meals, three times a day?

5-star is a bit of an exaggeration user, but what's wrong with expecting an actual proper meal 3 times a day? I don't see a problem with a grilled cheese as the occasional snack. But as an actual meal? No.

Because you're a fucking failure.

>letting your children snack

And you're ITT calling out other father's? Sad!

It's a perfectly good lunch with some tomato soup for dipping and a big glass of milk.

Low to medium heat is correct. But: I cut my bread loaf into 1 inch thicc slices... So I like to give it a head start in the microwave for 30 seconds. Generally speaking, microwaves ruin bread so be careful.

>It's a perfectly good lunch
It fucking well isn't.

But then one side will absorb the butter and there won't be enough/any for the other side when you flip it.

You guys are all retarded....a kraft single grilled cheese is the easiest thing to make...butter bread, two slices, cook till brown on one side and then about two minutes less than however long that took on the other

Kraft singles are made to be melted, its pretty much all they're good for, other cheeses actually take more finess because they all melt differently and take different times to melt, but Kraft is basically auto melt

>You guys are all retarded
>auto melt
Who were you calling retarded?

Mayo on outside sides of bread, two kraft singles and 8 dill pickle hamburger slices between the cheese slices. Cook on medium in a frying pan until golden brown on both sides. Stop using HIGH on the stove for things like that. You aren't searing a steak you're browning bread.

Kraft singles are perfect for grilled cheese you doofus.

>frying pan
>grilled cheese
>grilled
retard.

Let your cheese sit out a little bit before grilling. If you have some left over bacon grease it works awesome and actually produces a lighter and crispy bread if you do not get crazy heavy with the stuff. Some places even sell filtered bacon grease.

British here.

I have to make one of these motherfuckers of deliciousness.

I assume it's just buttered bread fried lightly each side, add cheese, fry more until melted?

Can you add anything to them?

Get a piece of bread and cover it in mayo or butter. Put the butter side down on a pan. Processed cheese on top, then another piece of bread on the outside. Fry one side. Flip and do the 2nd. You assemble it first, then fry it all at once.

>>add anything to them
Sure you can. You can make them as fancy as you want. But there will always be a place for the classic: cheap-ass white bread and processed cheese.

Ok, cool. Thanks friend.

So the cheese side is only fried one side and the top slice is fried both?

I'm not trying to be a pedant, I just want to do as Americans usually would.

What would be typical additional fillings? Again, nothing fancy but what else do people often add?

I see these a lot in films and always wanted to try one.

>So the cheese side is only fried one side and the top slice is fried both?

No. It's only fried on the outside.

>>people often add
Dunno. I only ever make either the basic, or I go all out with fancy bread, cheese, and fillings.

Add tomato, bacon, or pickle slices

sauteed onions is ok too

Ok, got it. I'll post up pics of my efforts. I'll start with the classic white and cheese and graduate up. Thanks again, man.

I was thinking sautéed onions actually. Fucking delicious. I might do a variation of bacon and onion sautéed and then cook off the bread in the same pain to get a little of the bacon grease.

Thanks.

>You assemble it first, then fry it all at once.

The hospital in my city has a pretty decent commisary, and their grilled cheeses are done by putting two slices of buttered bread down side-by-side, then cheese on top, and when they get golden and crispy, they flip one piece onto the other before they lift the whole thing off the griddle.

But how does the cheese have any time to melt then?

Also, I'm not using that horrific processed shit. I'm going to use cheddar left out beforehand to soften as someone else suggested further up.

>buttered bread
Use mayo unless your butter is already soft.

Add a splash of water then cover with a lid half way through. Will melt the cheese. Then just fry a bit longer to crispy up the outside.

just make a cheese sandwich, butter the outside of the bread, and fry it in a pan flipping one time once the cheese is melted. The outsides of the bread are buttered toasted and the insides are not toasted or buttered.

Adding stuff is a bit stupid, just dip it in tomato soup.

I like to dip mine in ketchup

Well, processed will melt as the heat goes through the bread, but if you must use block cheese, may I make this suggestion: Shred it. By increasing the surface to mass ratio, you will make it melt faster. That's why when you make a cheese sauce, you don't drop huge chunks of cheese into the base sauce, you add a handful of shreds or small bits at a time.

Got it. Quite excited. Buying all ingredients tomorrow. Cheers.

Yeah, cool. I intended grating it anyway. I think I'll start with processed just so at least the first is proper. I want to test the melting points, etc.

Thanks, guys.

recently every time iv been making myself grilled cheese i have heavy diarrhea the next day ?

am i lactose intelorant or something ?

Probably

Stop buttering the bread, start buttering the pan. Low heat, use a lid. Just assemble the sandwich how you want it, throw a pat of butter in the pan on low medium Heat, put your sandwich in, put the lid on. Flip it over after like a minute and cover it again. If you want to get super fancy, throw some shredded cheese on top when you first put it on the pan, then throw some more cheese on top after you flip it. The lid will let the shredded cheese melt and it will get crispy when you put it down in the pan.

i feel sad, it was the most affordable/delicious dish..

go ahead and put it on your charcoal grill dumbass and see how it turns out. Your mom will thank you.

Not him but in the UK we find it a bit weird that you say grilled cheese but actually do it in a pain. Here, we call this a toasted sandwich or toastie which is actually weird too as we do it in one of these, or we do it the old fashioned way which is under the grill of an oven.

*pan

>going through chemo
>see this
>get craving for grilled cheese
>run out of bread and mayo
Fuck, but thanks user I needed those lots of sandwiches. You're helping me with my appetite shit.

Why are you going through chemo? There's no dying if you come to Veeky Forums, faggot.

You are literally here FOREVER.

Use mayo
Pretoast one side of bread on both slices
Flip one,remove other
Add cheese, cover pan so it starts to get that texture
Add second slice of bread, flip, press down on sandwich

Also use a stringy cheese.

Lower the heat

This is "How not to be a retard: 101"

>Why are you going through chemo?
To not die

Here's the thing no one mentioned. Cheese has no contact with the pan it heats first through radiation, then convection and finally conduction. If there's no radiation the time it takes for the cheese to melt through the other paths is too long for the bread unless you go very low and slow, which isnt ideal for a snack. So what you want to do is maximize the radiation. Cast iron has irradiation. I might have used some of the terms wrong but you get what I'm saying hopefully.

not enough butter
some people say mayo but thats dumb
it doesn't toast the bread it cooks the mayo

>ctrl f 'grate'
>0 results

put butter in pan first, get it bubbling, then put your sandwich in. melt the butter next to the sandwich before flipping, lift sandwich and then tilt pan to distrubute butter. flip again.

what really helps is a press, i have a little weight to press it down.

>British here.

Why is this relevant? Are you implying that toasties, aka grilled cheese are not popular as fuck over here?

> we make toasties in the UK EXACTLY like they do in the US

Wanna know how I know your mother was a syphllitic whore?

Well then you should have specified that you wished to know how to make an AMERICAN grilled cheese. How was i supposed to know? Put yourself in my shoes here.

I'm 100% serious.

Why would you want that?

>Dunno. I only ever make either the basic, or I go all out with fancy bread, cheese, and fillings.

I liked filling it with blue cheese, pears and some fresh black pepper or with mozzarella, apple and sage. I need to think of fitting bread for these, though.

i have one of these. but these aren't real grilled cheeses.

>american (((cheese)))

not everyone is as shitty and sad as us, user
some people want to live

I dunno why you getting testy with me, brah. I'm meerly pointing out to you that Veeky Forums is the curse of life ever after.

Once you have descended into this pit of hell, not even death can drag you out.

You are here forever. Welcome to hell.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Is it odd that I like burnt grilled cheeses a lot? I'm not talking about burnt to a crisp but I like then the bread is a bit blackened and has that burnt taste...idk feels comforting for me.

>nu-males ruining grilled cheese making it for their wives son

Real grilled cheese is made under a grill you disgusting colonials.

>not using brown bread
>not using cage aged cheddar from Cheddar
>not adding Worcestershire Sauce midway in the process
>not serving with baked beans on top
>not enjoying it with a cup of tea on a cold winter Sunday morning in bed with the heating on and a cat on your lap and the first patterings of rain on the window while the local church bell tolls and you wait for the pub to open so you sit by a fire and drink ale and chat to the locals and play darts with your dad

Sickening

>cage aged

I bet you prefer free range cheese, hippie.

>he lets his cheese run freely

For the ones who actually struggle with this problem. Take out butter make sure it's room temperature. Pan on medium to medium high heat. 2 slices of bread butter one side and make sure buttered sides are outward place cheese in middle. Place buttered side bread into pan add cheese add other buttered bread on top with the buttered side facing outward. After a minute check if it's golden brown and toasty by slightly lifting a edge if toasty and golden brown flip and repeat. Delicious grilled cheese

This. All of this.

Rule Brittania, motherfuckers.