Common Core Hate Thread (I have a Algebra II Test coming up this week)

Common Core Hate Thread (I have a Algebra II Test coming up this week)

Other urls found in this thread:

corestandards.org/Math/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Common core exists to diminish the divide between whites/asians and blacks/hispanics.

Prove me wrong.

if you guys could add to my folder that'd be nice

that's all i got, heres one just for fun

I cant

Holy shit common core is terrible. How old are you americans when you learn derivatives?

i think for the average person it would be sometime around freshman/sophomore year (9th/10th grade)

here's what you do:

add 1 to 316 to get 317
add 10 to 317 to get 327
add 100 to 327 to get 427

100+10+1 = 111

signed, someone never indoctrinated by common core

is this a cringe thread?

>derivatives
That's the old way. Now they pick 2 points and calculate the slope of the line linking them.

Anyway, it's still retarded doing a 3-step process to do an operation given by a table. I wonder how do they multiply or divide.

WTF my school didn't let me take calculus until senior year

seriously? i was doing calculus my sophomore year. did you only have one level of calc?

between 16-19
16 if your smart and your high school offers it
17 if your smart and your high school has mediocre resources
18 if your high school didn't offer any resources or you choose to ignore them
19 if you go to a shitty community college or degree since you would have to take "college algebra and trig" first

Yes. only 1 class for the AP Calculus AB test.

We had to take
9th: Algebra 1
10th Geometry and Algebra 2
11th Trig
12th nothing or Calculus AB
(and this was the "advance" schedule)

The sad part is that the people that ended up taking it took it only help their ranking and the teacher never taught but relied on youtube, and only 3 people ending up taking the stupid test(including me)

That's absurd. We had all the way up to multi variable IIRC.

>make a ten
>make a ten
muh 'brane it hertz

why can't you fucking highschoolers understand that no one wants you here

>implying I haven't been adding that way in my head for over a decade

this

This x2.

The problem w/ common core is that it tries to teach superior intuitive understanding to people brought up by parents who did rote learning.

It's of the same order of magnitude, how much more "reasonable" do you want?

I've always done math like that. Did I invent common core?

>underage b& detected

Or you're a braindead moron for taking algerbra II your senior year

The problem with the shit in OP (and other such pics) is that any kids who weren't doing this anyway are thick for life, and the rest of the kids are now conscious of following a rigid set of instructions.
is bad too.

>any kids who weren't doing this anyway
By "this" I didn't mean to narrow it down to the method in OP. I never "made 10s", I simply know what 7 and 6 make. Don't kids learn multiplication tables anymore? If a kid knows products up 9x9 they can fucking remember sums up to 9+9.
>America

Sadly this is not the reality in America. Most kids won't even take a calculus class in high school. Of those who do, most will be AB calc which won't teach them much. The average grade for a student who takes calc is probably 12th grade because of how behind we are in mathematics.

? The AB calc class I took in high school was pretty rigorous. We learned the same, if not more than a 4 year uni.

it's about class, not race. plenty of poor/stupid white people making babies too.

and this argument applies to standardized education in general. common core is not the be all end all. there are plenty of other approaches (cf finland, considered the best, or at least one of the best, educated country in the world, despite having no homework or high stakes testing)

The governments commands must be obeyed by all.

>A++

I just use 6 + 7 = 13; 13 + 30 = 43. Kids are fucking st00pid these days mane.

Average in the US is actually never. Not an exaggeration. Former high school math teacher here. The average US student never even gets beyond PreCal. Soft degree seekers will never see a derivative in their life.

You were not the average student.

You better start believing in dystopias.
You're in one.

How is that in any way helpful? Had the kid reached a result of 545 by mistake, it would have appeared like a very reasonable number by those standards.

This is shit is so stupid it's hurting m brain. How is this in anyway beneficial to students? Why was this introduced? Is the US just generally dumb country?

They tried something similar back in the 60s, called "New math." I guess we never learn.

Common Core doesn't look too bad. It's just people looking at things designed for kids and their ego suddenly rising when a simply subtraction problem is in sight and they can just say the number.

Basically they are just trying to teach kids how to operate on numbers beyond just memorization and finger counting. Of course it's obvious that all those methods seem simple to anyone out of High School or even still there.

It's not like later in the educations kids aren't supposed to do similar things like simplify expressions under square roots.
Is pretty much just taken out of context where probably a few questions before they explained what making 10 means.

We have something called Project Maths being introduced in Ireland which tries the same kind f thing but it's no where near as dumb as this. Won't this just cause a huge divide between common core students and algebra students? Lots of dumb kids could just coast through school on this and learn nothing bu make believe maths.

Sure smells like /pol/ in here

Nobody but retards actually adds things in his head with the method you learned in school. Common core is trying to teach kids to do them the same way non-retards do in their heads so they too can do it in their heads eventually.

We didn't even have calculus at my high school
I dipped out for MASMC so that didn't end up affecting me
American school is so fucked

Nothing beats the smell of home.

But everything that's written is 100% true. The only one that you could even call slightly objectionable is "He makes sure the laws of the country are fair".

It's teaching mental math. This is how people figure out math in their heads when they can't write shit down.

Fair to whom?

Got left back when I came to Murica cuz of bs so 18 and taking Algebra II

desu I use a similar way to calculate in my head sometimes

>you can not make 10 with 8+5

Dumb kid can't even use base 13

None of these things people are hating on are "common core." Common core isn't a new way of teaching math is a list of standards which can be found here corestandards.org/Math/. No one in the standards will you find any of these math problems or pedagogies. I'm not sure where these memes come from. I agree these are retarded but they don't come from the common core standards. You guys are just making yourself look like retarded moms on normie book who just repost shit without even checking to see if it makes any sense.

CzechFag here
what the SHIT???
USA kids are taught THIS?
I have never seen abomination like this...

So the old traditional methods can still be used? That seems fair. As long as they din't shove it down our throats, I'm fine.

>Soft degree seekers will never see a derivative in their life.
What about gen eds? Do you mean to say they get away with non-calculus based physics (if they even take physics and not, say, biology) and that's it?

>Do you mean to say they get away with non-calculus based physics

Not that user, but yes. Humanities/"Soft" degrees at my school, for example, only have to take up to "College Algebra" as their highest math course(which is literally just a repackaged High School-level algebra 2).
For their Gen Ed science classes it's more or less the same repackaged high school-level physics/biology(so if there's any calculus involved, they likely have no idea).

I don't see the problem with common core. In fact, it seems like a definite good thing. It teaches how to think like I had to realize and teach myself. Who does rote algorithms in their head? No, we use intuition and different representations of numbers and so on to quickly arithmetically manipulate numbers.

Common core seems to be much closer to teaching how to [math]think[/math], rather than how to blindly manipulate expressions with memorized algorithms. It is absolutely closer to how math should be taught.

26 + 17 = 43
23 + 20 = 43
I already do this in my head without common core and the process doesnt fucking need 5 steps.

Most people would do the carry-one nonsense without common core. Most people on this board realized how to think on their own. In contrast to traditional math education, common core seems to not so much teach algorithms, but rather how to think. It's not as if you have to think about it the way presented in OP. It's just a particularly spelled-out example of the thought process, to guide students toward understanding, synthesis, and any quick mental arithmetic that happens to result therefrom.

Depends. 17-18 for most people. Most people not in STEM never learn them.

I've never even heard of a high school teaching multivariate calc in the US. Everyone I know had to go to a local university to take it. My school didn't tell us this so I graduated with only calc 1.

It's not about these babby-tier additions. The common core method of making 10 works no matter how large the numbers are.

Sure, you should know your multiplication and addition tables up to 9, but how do you add or multiply 3-digit numbers without making 10?

What the fuck? $(sqrt{2}+sqrt{8})^2$=$(3sqrt{2})^2$=$18$

kek

If the government commanded you to jump off a bridge would you do it?

It is the laws of a (democratic) state which must be obeyed, not the government.

I doubt that. It is usually 17 in Canada (12th grade), and seems to be the same in most states.

This is not a hate forum or a school test whining forum get the fuck out of here asshole.

The hate towards the common core still confuses me. I assume that people hate it because it's different because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

>not knowing what estimation means

It's quite literally an attempt to make white and Asian Americans more stupid to reduce racial divides in mathematics.

People hate the non-math stuff for good reason. shit like this:
People hate the math parts because they weren't there in class to hear it explained. They know only their carry-the-one method, and anything else confuses them.

Most people are fucking morons though.

One time I was having breakfast with my sister (sociology major), and we were about to leave the tip. She didn't have her phone on her, so I explained that all you need to do to calculate 20% of something is multiply it by 2 and move the answer over a decimal place.
It blew her goddamn mind.

Teaching the relationship between numbers instead of just shoving a shitload of multiplication tables down their throats can only be good thing as fara as I'm concerned.

Wtf is this even asking

>People hate the math parts because they weren't there in class to hear it explained.
Exactly this. They see weird wording that doesn't mesh with how they learned and don't stop to think that teachers beat problems exactly like that into the kids' heads all day in class.

Dear god, no wonder teenage suicide rates are at record levels.

That's exactly why it's objectionable.

>Hurr durr
The laws should be obeyed, if you don't like them then there's several legal ways you can go about trying to get them changed. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should stop following it, if it did then we would be living in anarchy.

except that the creator of common core says on video that he invented it to reduce white and asian privilege

quite literally marginalizing two races in order to promote cultural marxism

the government provides tax breaks to states that adopt the standards and because the country is in debt up to its eyeballs they have no choice

how are you *THIS* stupid? the two states who haven't adopted it score higher than the rest that have

The worst part of the Common Core is that it simply assumes without proof the existence of real numbers.

>Carrying is nonsense
Explain this meme

i'm back

It can only really be done with pen-and-paper. It offers no deeper insight into mathematics.

It's the beginning of plug-and-chug trash that breeds students who are bad at, and hate math.

here's the full version of this btw

So does the old method.

>If you want help with your homework, go to /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests.

those students should be smart enough to come up with ways that work for them

by that logic why teach them anything at all. They should be smart enough to come up with it all on their own.

you lay the foundation and if the kid is smart enough they'll come up with an idea

Your reading comprehension is very poor.

Are you implying 'making 10s' is easier mentally? I think it creates more numbers than carrying.
What insight does making 10s give? When a kid carries, they know it's because they made 10, or 20 or 30 in the current column.

The old method doesn't lay any foundation at all though. It's just an algorithm for addition. It teaches you nothing about how numbers actually work.

nor does the new one

That kid clearly has no clue what he/she's doing. Actually answering this type of question would probably help him/her.