What's the most passionate novel you've ever read, Veeky Forums?

What's the most passionate novel you've ever read, Veeky Forums?

William Gaddis - Agape Agapē

Maybe it's because an angry old man is dying and writing one last banger, but it is nothing short of pure fury

>reading translations

My Twisted World.

I am not even joking, Elliot cut through all the reactionary bullshit that the mongrel OP lapped up and gave us a raw and unfiltered coming of age classic.

I challenge the mongoloids on Veeky Forums to prove me wrong. Note that prose and repetition have nothing to do with emotion.

sick of this meme

>spending 10 years learning a language so you can read a single book

just don't read books if they aren't originally written in your native language. simple as that

Seeing the Hajj we're getting from /r9k/ I'm not even sure if this is bait or not

>Taking 10 years to learn a language

Alriget user you've convinced me

defend your thesis

why would you even...it's obviously insincere

What is.

This:

>just don't read books if they aren't originally written in your native language.

Ok let me translate my post into a longer one.

What is insincere about reading a translated book?

that's sincere. Reading a translated book is nothing like reading the original. the prose gets all fucked up.

I honestly don't think Celine's postwar novels are very good but the sheer level of hatred in them is astounding

>Reading a translated book is nothing like reading the original.

So? Different =/= bad. I don't know why people fail to grasp this. Of course you shouldn't read a translated work as if it were the original, and pretend you've read it how it was "intended to be read." But a translated work can still be a work of great artistic merit, and even exceed the original.

tl;dr Original does not mean perfect, and different does not mean shit.

Let me translate my post into a longer one. I wasn't calling the act of reading a translation insincere. I was calling the other person'should post insincere. The implication that you shouldn't read a work simply because it's translated is either insincere or fucking inane.

you dishonor the author. great shame.

seppuku. it is the only way.

New to Veeky Forums and reading in general. I picked this up alongside some high school novels to ease myself into it: 1984, Animal Farm, Down and Out in Paris and London, Slaughterhouse Five. After reading all those other books, would I be able to tackle something like Dostoevsky, or should I find some other literature to help me work up to it?

Brothers Karamazov isn't particularly difficult to read, it's just long

go for it

If you can get through those you should be able to read Brothers Karamazov. For me personally it was easier to read and understand than Crime & Punishment, probably because its so damn funny and quirky.

ayyy nice meme

Good to know. Any other essential Dostoevsky I should know about besides Crime and Punishment.

Notes from the Underground and The Idiot.

Light In August or Farewell to Arms

So you admit defeat?

>not taking 10 years to learn a language

? What are you talking about?
I'm .