Has Veeky Forums seen this CGP Grey vid yet

lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dZClfg_kzwE?t=6m10s
reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/4lvxqj/i_would_be_interested_in_the_resulting_discussion/
youtube.com/watch?v=lfGwsAdS9Dc
newadvent.org/cathen/14153a.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

does this meen god is real? xddddd

This video is literally the scariest thing I can think of.

3 persons in 1 god ? :oo

youtu.be/dZClfg_kzwE?t=6m10s

start at 6 minutes

At least with my cursory and very humble understanding of Catholic theology, the two separate persons would not be a divided soul or spirit, and what's more, they would not be individually responsible or culpable for their moral or immoral actions. When the brain is split in two and some of the thinking processes are disrupted, they would likely not be held accountable for any 'immoral' conclusions to their thinking processes, since the processes are incomplete.

There are Catholics discussing this right now actually
reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/4lvxqj/i_would_be_interested_in_the_resulting_discussion/

Wow! Great mix of stoner philosophy and bad science

So how real is the science in this video? Do the hemispheres in split brain patients really have no way of communicating to each other and are they really two separate consciousnesses?

Why is Ramachandran such a based guy? Those rrrrrss man.

>it's the best pony
thinly veiled /mlp/ thread

>Do the hemispheres in split brain patients really have no way of communicating to each other
They're still wired up to eachother through connections in the medulla and whatnot, but the bandwidth is very much lower than the cortical connections.

>how real is the science in this video?
Boiled down to simplified gruel for the youtube audience but in essence it's accurate.

More technically you're not "two persons", you're several hundreds as the isolated circuits of the hemispheres can work in isolation as demonstrated by brain damage, and the corpus callosum bundle can be cut with ease unlike carving out selective parts of a single hemisphere, but things like diffusion tensor imaging can show the tracts and give an idea how they are wired internally even so.

Thanks OP, I enjoyed the video.

SPOILER: there is no you, it's just an illusion. the sooner you accept it, the better you'll feel about it.

meaningless statement, sophism, not an argument

>lol my model of the universe does not account for this phenomenon therefore it does not exist/is an illusion
nice anti-intellectualism

It's an illusion but it's still real, if I'm here then it's real

A TV screen is nothing but an arrangement of lights but the movie on the TV is still real

meaningless reply, no grammer, missing the point, claiming sophism when no connection at all.

For theists, my biggest question is whether or not the soul is the pilot or the battery of your consciousness.

have fun with your intellectualism, see if it makes you happy or if it will ever lead to absolute truth.

>no grammer

Expand on what you mean by "battery" of consciousness. Keep in mind this almost definitely goes beyond theism/atheism and you will find a diversity of opinions on this within religious schools.

if you come from a daoist perspective, you are your own pilot but then again there is a universal pilot. agreeing with the universal pilot will yield the best results.

when coming from a buddhist perspective, we're all part of the one pilot, we just haven't realized yet.

Not him, but the issue is that it assigns a special snowflake label to a composite phenomena.

If you watch a movie on a tv with 90% dead pixels it's also the same real movie. We can use the same catch all analogy for a nation, if someone captures 90% of the nation the remnant is still the same nation.

Our labels are used as contextual umbrella terms that simplify language through various layers of abstractions.

"You" or "consciousness" describes a system of several layers of hierarchy and interconnectivity that would require a library or two of books to describe all fine details, but that really is all it is, it doesn't transcend to a higher state of being any more than a Nation or Movie does just because we refer to it with a Name.

Technically I could say my underwear is part of me too, just with the details specified that they're fully expendable with zero interconnectivity. In the same way I could open a random book of my brain library and tear out a page and nothing would happen. There are no well defined borders for where you ends and everything else begins.

youtube.com/watch?v=lfGwsAdS9Dc

This is real, why are so many people here saying that this is bullshit?

For lack of better phrases, is our ego the soul or is the soul the cause of consciousness?

I have always argued that if I have a soul, that soul is not me as user. If my soul goes to heaven, I will experience heaven, but I will not be user. If I am reincarnated, I will not be user reborn, but a new user that I will experience.

But my soul is not the pilot, my current ego is.

Taoism is very interesting. Everything is the Tao, but the Tao is its own being, but the Tao is more than a being, etc. Very cool concept but its a bit to convoluted for me to believe its the truest religion, but it is a fantastic approach to explaining God.

This might help
newadvent.org/cathen/14153a.htm

Any good studies about the subject? Last time I searched I didn't find much, there were so few cases of people who had their carpus callosum cut, most didn't agree to be studied on.

Thanks, good read so far

Has anyone ever tried to have an in-depth conversation with this silent partner part of the mind?

That's kinda what a tulpa is.

in all the thousands of years of human existence, philosophy, medicine and introspection, why wouldn't this apparently large facet of our being become apparent

LOL I'm not the only one who has every single quest bar flavor

Yeeeah, because no one ever talks about the separation between the feminine and the masculine, nor of logical and emotional forces at odds with each other within each of us at any point in history, much less the duality of human nature.

But, the video is overstating its case. It isn't a separate being or consciousness, it's just a part of the brain dedicated to certain task types that are largely preverbal. I hate to use the computer-brain analogy, but it's more of a GPU/CPU relationship, than it is a separate personality, and the same could be said of dozens of other subsets within each.

That's not the part people are criticising. Learn to read, or else. Try starting with Dr. Seuss books. After reading Cat in the Hat you should be able to read real books like Finnegan's Wake. Once you learnt to read you should have been able to derive all of mathematics based on observations in nature, and using this Newfoundland knowledge you can read Mochizuki's IUT and submit your own thesis on Trans-Newtonian technology on 6 March, 2025. After researching Trans-Newtonian technology you can use that information to build an engine for interstellar space and go to the Local Bubble to find the local species which have XNA. Extract this XNA and compress it into yourself to gain telekinetic powers. With these knew telekinetic powers you can find James Randi who will give you $1M for his One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge. Take this money and shove it up your ass.

It's real, but it's being presented in a manner that reduces it to hyperbole. Like there's a separate consciousness involved, rather than simply an end run happening between two separate processing centers dedicated to different task types. It's deceptive and misleading, but "it sounds cool". So it sells.

It's kinda like Hollywood quantum physics, where they tell you we now know dogs have souls, because when they look at waveforms they collapse - like the mind somehow makes the universe real because only an "observed" wave form collapses. When in reality, it doesn't matter if the waveform is measured by man or machine (and there's always a machine involved), it's the act of measuring the waveform that collapses it, since there's no more fundamental particle to measure with - much like measuring the surface of a balloon with a needle. It doesn't have anything to do with consciousness or a mind acting upon the universe. But it just sounds so much cooler.

Holy shit HAHAH aren't you funny, let's give it up for this guy!!! *clap* *clap* *clap*

wow such an enlightening post