>Veeky Forums approved movies
are there any ?

Other urls found in this thread:

universetoday.com/14892/mars-dust-storms/
youtube.com/watch?v=6BKXGx2IMmk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jurassic Park

Anything that's good.

I'd have approved this if it wasn't for the SSTO. Making a mockery of rocket science.

Martian

>atmosphere 100 times thinner than earth
>wind still strong enough to blow over a rocket

Gravity

>reddit: the movie: the experience: the boogaloo
>the nigger has the word "science!" written on his chalkboard

end your life

Not legit complaints

2001: A Space Odyssey and The Abyss are deserving in my book. Maybe The Martian too. Haven't seen Deep Impact but I heard it's reasonably accurate too.
Also the fucking sheet of plastic and some duct tape holding back 14.7 PSI... and then being inverted by exterior winds. I damn near bust out in theater-disrupting laughter when I saw that shit.

But still, far better than average for a Hollywood movie. At least they're trying.

Ragefest for any space-autist out there.

Apollo 13
I liked it.

George Clooney?
wew lad

In the book they are worried about dust abrasion, which is more reasonable

If he's asking Veeky Forums approved, it's about scientific accuracy or interest.

Not "whatever the fuck I like".

This is like the Veeky Forums approved video game threads that opens up with fucking Zelda. (Except without the pedohelia simulator that is now a meme.)

Except when you get a dust storm on Earth, the whole planet doesn't get it by it.

universetoday.com/14892/mars-dust-storms/

Doesn't much matter how thin the atmosphere is at that point, it's gonna fuck shit up.

Not that The Martian didn't totally fuck up a dozen other times.

The wind tipping and the iron man shit at the end were the only genuinely silly things in the movie. Everything else was either accurate enough or plausible

Always and forever the most Veeky Forums movie ever

This is absolute garbage

Are you high?

I will fight you.

>hurr durr this movie appeals to science stuff
>it is therefore a good movie

Maybe you are lost - this is Veeky Forums not .

maybe you are lost - this is Veeky Forums not HURR IM A SCIENTIST I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE LOOK SPACE WOAHH

discuss science and math or fuck off

The previous generation of science freaks became so largely because they ate these movies up, as so will the next. So advice as to which movies best represent and inspire for science is an entirely relevant topic to the board.

That shit isn't.

>shitty sci-fi movies improve science
all of the people I know hate these popsci pieces of garbage
the kind of people who watch this shit are reddit popscientists who don't actually study anything

Well surely there's a good science movie somewhere you've seen.

That's nice.

nope. they're shit.

just pick the top sci fiction movies rite?

Solaris by Tarkovsky should be on the list at least

>bah humbug

I thought moon was pretty spot on. I can't recall if they had the budget to deal with the gravity thing, though given the CGI involved to that well, I tend to let it slide.

The SyFy series "Expanse" was pretty good, although I'm sure the second season, due to air in 2017, is going to turn into Dead Space: The Series.

>That shit isn't.

t. butthurt Ukraine

What about Europa report or Europa project? A low project movie in a lost-footage style about astronauts traveling to the moon europa

>The SyFy series "Expanse" was pretty good
nope, it's shit

Christ you people are fucking miserable. Must be mathfags

Get out

I'm gonna stab you.

The station orbits were incorrect, and the shuttle was still flying.

Gravity hasn't had three strikes yet.

>The station orbits were incorrect, and the shuttle was still flying.
THAT'S the issue you choose to complain about? There is a scene where someone literally falls off a space station they're at rest to because they couldn't hold on.

I really loved interstellar personally. Music and visuals are by far some of the best. The wormhole and docking scene are fantastic. A lot of the science is only feasible because it deals with such exotic stuff like wormholes, dimensions, and black holes, that you really can't rule much out. Great movie except for the love bullshit they shoehorned it.

My biggest problem with the movie was how she couldn't stop herself rotating without a MMU. (She could have done that thing cats do to turn around in mid air, except more constrained by the space suit. (Changing your angular momentum and applying a torque.))

But there are not bookshelves inside black holes!

youtube.com/watch?v=6BKXGx2IMmk

Enjoy

Interstellar
The Martian
2001 Space Odyssey
Contact
Primer
Moon
Apollo 18 (I enjoyed)
Gravity

Are any of them 100% scientifically accurate? No of course not because if you have a brain you'd realise that that'd be boring as shit and you see a movie to be entertained. They're not documentaries. But all of those listed are great movies that make use of popular science to create great stories/visuals.

I loved that scene

I prefer not to believe that.

Apollo 13 is a LIE, and inaccurate.

Tom Hanks said "Houston, we have a problem" in the movie.

but irl Commander Swigert said "Houston, we've had a ... we have a problem"

also that scene where the engineers at mission control are yelling at each other is also false. Despite the situation, all of the engineers spoke in a calm, professional manner as they discussed potential solutions.

Therefore the movie is shit and should be disregarded entirely.

>13337

>no Europa Report, no Planetes, no The Expanse, no Gattaca, no Harold & Kumar, no WarCraft

get on my level

Particle Fever (2013) was a fairly good layman's documentary film on CERN.

Dunno if that's the sorta thing yer looking for, looking at the rest of the thread.

+1. Unwatchable borefest.

>Planetes
I mean, its scientifically good, but the TV series wasn't executed that well. Also it isn't a movie, and apparently neither is The Expanse.

Too bad it's fucking shit.

>wasn't executed that well
>he doesn't want to be a moon ninja

Bullshit. It was executed perfectly, especially considering that the studio feared they wouldn't get a second season. They were correct.

I liked Dante's Peak, main guy is a vulcanologist. Also A Beautiful Mind.

Bretty gud

>no math related movies
Good will hunting
A Beautiful mind

Dare I say it?
>Pi

All things considered, it's pretty amazing how little they needed to change to make a movie out of Apollo 13. Hell, watch the whole damn "From the Earth to the Moon" series. It's good

>Planetes
>I mean, its scientifically good, but the TV series wasn't executed that well.
I guess that's kinda subjective, but I really enjoyed it. The latter half in particular is very different from what you might expect from watching the first episode, but it's still well put together.

Hey I didn't say I didn't enjoy it, I definitely did, but I liked the manga better. Might be why they didn't get a second season.

I said Apollo 18 not Apollo 13
But yeah fair reasoning, Apollo 13 is shit now that I think about that

>no Europa Report, no Planetes, no The Expanse, no Gattaca, no Harold & Kumar, no WarCraft
>get on my level
I've seen europa report, it was ..kay. Little bit shit due to obvious budget constraints.
>The expanse
Haven't seen
>No gattaca
Eh
>No harold & kumar
I've seen all Harold and Kumar's whatareutalkinabout nothing science related
>No warcraft
wut?

its ok

Documentaries.

Such as...?

The Right Stuff
Apollo 13
Contact

there are some valid criticisms of these movies. I like them anyway

Farewell my concubine

Get on my level nerds ;)

he's heating up! he's on fire!

Marooned > Apollo 13

The Author knew windstroms wouldn't be strong enough to tip the MAV but decided that plot trumps realism.

Honestly, even the love bullshit wasn't anything they were necessarily endorsing. It was really just a dumb idea that Anne Hathaway had that ended up being wrong because the guy had been dead once she got to the planet.

Yeah but when he was in the 5th dimension bookcase thing he found her with "love" because it "transcends space and time". I will buy fifth dimension fuckery just because who knows what will be possible in the future but the love stuff seemed shoehorned and unnecessary. Still a fantastic movie though, and to this day i just listen to the sound track on repeat when I'm studying.

Interstellar was good up till the black hole and 5th dimension business (how the hell did he figure out what to do after 2 minutes of being that dimensional housing thing? After being drawn into the black hole the movie was just taken into fiction land. The rest was reasonably accurate and enjoyable.
>that fucking ending tho, with his daughter.

>Interstellar

It's not about scientific accuracy... if you had a brain you'd realise it's simply a bad movie.

Did anyone here think they understood 2001: A Space Odyssey? Do you have to understand it to enjoy it?

Interstellar was 2014: A Space Odyssey

Come on, it was good, but its science was all popsci-tier.

It's a Veeky Forums thread, so it's entirely about scientific accuracy, and not at all about whether it's a good movie.

That said, it isn't particularly either.

The Andromeda Strain

I cri evrytiem ;_;