youtube.com/watch?v=606QlJ6uud0
titlisbusykitchen.com/recipe/chicken-phal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindaloo#History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any without coconut milk. Too sweet.

Ones with lamb and very spicy.

Any as long as there's no poo in it.
japanese it is then...

As a Vietnamese noodle nigger, I think the worst is Vietnamese curry. Fucking love Indian curries the most.

Only the Japs could take a dish such as curry and make it bland.

Chicken pathia with a chapati and a side of sag aloo.

The Pil special

Best curry I've had was a malaysian lamb curry

>good
Indian, Thai
>bad
Japanese
>offensive
British, fast food variants

What kind of stupid asshole makes a curry without coconut milk

stupid asshole get outta here with your asshole, asshole

Mutton Kadai. I'm just a fag for the chilli and ginger combo.

chicken or prawn jalfrezi

The obvious choice is Denzel.

Steph can't win without a supporting cast and sometimes not even then.

palak paneer

or goan fish curry

Nigga, you crazy. Viet goat curry is delicious. Wish more restaurants carried it because I have no fucking idea how to make it from scratch. I buy that Indian-style Vietnamese curry paste to make it, though. You know the one? Vietnamese writing and all, but an Indian guy on the label. That. It works, but those jars are expensive.

Lamb in what is basically a caramelised onion curry sauce. Soethar sipyan. It's very easy to make and has few-to-no ingredients uncommon to the west. The only problem is that caramelising onions is time-consuming.

Anyone want a recipe?

Paneer butter masala and baingan bharta. Lamb vindaloo is great too.

Chicken Bhuna.

pls

lamb or goat vindaloo

>favorite curry thread
>everyone starts posting Countries

Japan, india, thailand, vietnam are not currys

bone-in pieces of lamb (like riblets/spare ribs), 600g
>or boneless, 400g
turmeric powder, 2tsp
cayenne powder, 1tbsp
curry powder (with no turmeric, I think you call it 'garam masala'), 1tbsp
salt, as needed and to taste
oil, 80ml
onion, quartered and thinly sliced, about 600g
water, as necessary
garlic, cloves peeled and minced, half a head
ginger, peeled and minced, half a hand
chillies, chopped, if/as desired
>cored/seeds removed, if you want
lamb stock (or more water), as necessary
potatoes, 600g
fish sauce, to taste
coriander leaves, a handful

Put lamb in a bowl and toss with all spices but salt.
Add a strong sprinkling of salt and set aside to dry-marinate.
Add the onion and half the oil to the pan and salt generously.
Cook on high heat to caramelise, adding water every now and again to prevent burning.
When caramelised and nicely brown, cook out as much liquid as you can, remove onion from the pan and set aside.
Pound garlic, ginger and chillies with salt as necessary to make into a paste.
Add remaining oil as well as garlic/ginger/chilli paste to the pan, set to high heat and toss about.
When shimmering, add the meat and toss about to colour, but not cook completely through.
Re-add the onions and stir about to mix well.
Add stock to cover and bring to the boil.
Add potatoes and reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
Allow to cook until lamb separates easily from the bone, the potatoes are cooked through and the oil is clearly visible again (sipyan kinda means "the oil returns").
Adjust to taste with fish sauce and off the heat.
Stir in coriander leaves before serving.

Is vindaloo curry?
I like it super spicy

Yeah it's a type of curry

Forgot to mention what sort of oil to use: medium sesame oil.
If you can't get it, you can mimic it somewhat by mixing together dark sesame oil and either light sesame oil or regular peanut oil.

Vietnamese green curry.

White nigger chicken curry.....

Dry ingredients....
1 1/4 tsp clove powder
3 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cardomon
4 tsp cinamon
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp coriander
2 tsp cayenne pepper

(use these in the final stages, not before)
1tsp turmeric
salt to taste

Wet ingredients...
2 tbs fresh ginger minced / diced
2 tbs fresh garlic minced / diced
1-2 super hot chillis to taste (I use habaneros)
I toss an equal amount of fresh ginger (2 inches or so) and garlic cloves (4-8 depending on their size) into a food processor with the chilli pepper ( I use 1 - 2 habanero), than add a little water to help it blend until it's almost a slurry.

1-2 red onions (I toss them in the food processor, but you can grate them)
4-6 tomatos (same....either process them or dice them skin / seeds and all)

1. Add 1/4 of the dry spice (not the turmeric) to hot oil, sear chicken sides, pull them, and wrap in foil.
2. Add and brown onions.
3. Add garlic/ginger/chili's and cook till fragrant.
4. Add tomato and another 1/4 of spice and cook till oil pulls.
5. Add tumeric, salt, water, and simmer for at least an hour.
6. Add chicken during last 20 minutes. Spice / salt as needed. Serve with rice.

Chana masala id god tier.

Sounds fucking delicious, goddamn user

are there any delicious curry recipes for us vegans?

coconut milk isn't sweet.
Coconut cream is sometimes sweet.
Lrn2coconut.

Nope. But I'm sure there are some half-assed approaches out there. You're not going to make good curry without ghee.

Beef Vindaloo

Pretty much any Indian curry, especially southern Indian, and ALL Thai curries. Also, Malay, Burmese, and Indo curries. Japanese is okay, but not my favorite. I love curry, and unless it's just a really badly made curry, I'll usually like it. I even like those super yellow mid-century curries that were popular in America like my grandmother used to make. I also like cold curried salads. Curry is just fucking good, and it's god tier when made well.
At home, I usually make a lot of Thai green curry, Indian Keema, and Palak Paneer, but I make others too, those are just the ones I make most often.

It really is. WIsh Bamar cuisine and the other cuisines of Burma/Myanmar were better known. It's so simple, but it's so fucking good.

Korma

Yes I know I'm boring

you're very wrong

Punjabi Chole / chickpea curry

Chicken Masala

t. Cracker

Aloo gobi
Daal
Eggplant curry
Rajma

I don't care as long as it's served in the traditional loo.
Tip: Season it with some fresh poo.

Bhuna

It was the way my family made it.

My mom would never debone her chicken so you'd have never have an easy bite of curry and rice. Also, the way she makes it is way too soupy and makes me hate it.

none because I'm not a street-shitting indian

>street-shitting indian
You're a Walmart Sharting American!

coconut cream is coconut milk with the water strained off you dingus

In order of greatness:

1 - Vindaloo - The undisputed champion, a British institution.
2 - Madras - A worthy and close second place.
3 - Tikka Masala - A milder but still tasty variation
4 - Khorma - A good breakfast or lunchtime curry.
5 - Dopiaza - If you like onions, this is for you.

Jalfreizi?

No... that's not what coconut cream is...
Coconut milk is the gratings/shavings of coconut blitzed with boiling water and allowed to sit like a tea a but so that the water extract coconut-y goodness from the gratings. Once strained, the shreds can be used again to make 'thin coconut milk' (also known as 'lite coconut milk' in many countries). The first extraction is called 'thick coconut milk.'
Coconut cream is the bit that floats to the top of that first extraction of coconut milk. It is at least 20% fat by volume, often higher. This happens because coconut milk is not homogenised. It has nothing to do with straining. It is analogous with dairy cream floating to the top of non-homogenised dairy milk.

The other user got coconut cream and cream of coconut, which is thick coconut milk cooked with sugar, confused.

Yes. In case you can't google, here is a recipe:
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 yellow onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons curry powder
4 teaspoons garam masala
1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 800g can diced tomatoes
1 400g can chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 400g can peas, drained
1 400g can coconut milk

Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry
for a minute or two.

Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and salt; cook for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, peas, and potatoes. Pour in the coconut milk, and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

I considered it, but being honest, I'm vegetarian, and a number of currys don't really work well with vegetables, jalfrezi being one of them.

Rogan Josh and Bhuna are another two that only really work well with meat.

>I'm vegetarian
opinion discarded

I often get confused. Which one do I want to be using in my Pina Coladas?

Dunno. Never had it. But considering that cream of coconut is sold in the liquor section of the supermarket (or mixers section of you live in an area where liquor is not sold in grocery stores), that.

Also of note: creamed coconut is yet another thing. That's coconut gratings that are pounded into a paste and compressed into a solid puck. It can be melted by mixing with hot water.

You lunatic

India has one of the largest vegetarian populations in the world... As a result their veggie burgers dishes are amazing

Aloo Gobi
Chana masala
Daal
Bhinjal bhaji

And the word 'curry' is meaningless, the Brits coined it for any dish with a sauce

youtube.com/watch?v=606QlJ6uud0

What does Veeky Forums think? It might not be authentic, but I like how simple it is, and it looks amazing.

>He thinks "curry" is Indian

yep

It'll be damn tasty, if not authentic but who gives?

>the tired, old, bullshit story that brits invented the word 'curry'

The word 'curry' is from the Dravidian languages. Of the four big ones, Malayalam has 'caar,' Telugu has 'caara,' and Kannada and Tamil both have 'cari,' each of which attested in written form before India's first contact with the Anglosphere in 1608.
The fact that the English language already had a similar word (which originally simply meant 'any fucking form of cookery,' and not 'sauce,' as you claim) is merely a coincidence (IE a false cognate). Curry in English comes from Italian 'cucinare' (cooking) by way of French 'cuire.' (which, aptly enough and owing to its Frenchness, is pronounced almost identically to the word 'queer,' offering further proof that the Gauls are a bunch faggots).

t. linguist

Does that line of chat go down well with the ladies lad?

I don't doubt that the Indian languages you mentioned had a word similar to 'curry' but the fact that it spread throughout the empire in its current definition is thanks to the Brits. So whilst they didn't 'invent' the word, they popularised the current by and large definition of it

Except no.
The word entered the Austronesian, Tai-Kadai, Mon-Khmer and Sino-Tibetan languages by way of Dravidian-speaking traders centuries before the English even thought of trying to go anywhere other than down the pub for a scotch egg and a lukewarm pint, never mind the rest of the world. Along with curry, the traders brought their religions with them, including Hinduism and Buddhism. Because of these traders, the largest Hindu temple in the world isn't even in India. It's in Cambodia.

And the Portuguese were the first Europeans to encounter the word and food known as curry and move the concept from Asia to other areas of the world. Then the Dutch. THEN the English. The Dutch brought curry to the Caribbean and the Portuguese introduced many of the ingredients used in many curries today, such as chillies, tomato and even onions (yes, some parts of the curry-eating world made curry without onions, instead using shallots).

>go down with the ladies
Take your heteronormative, patriarchal privilege and shove it up your dickhole, straight white man cis scum.

Now I know you're having a laugh... The cloggies don't know Jackie Chan about curries

Spotted the street shitter

Shart!

Spicy Thai chicken curry

hey I know you.
You're that guy that posts in every thread with that same picture.
You're like famous.
Real Veeky Forums royalty.
I'm very impressed.
Please keep posting these.
Not because you want to, but because I demand it.

Panang

Mattar paneer or any kind of fish curry.

Tandoori Trout with a side order of mattar paneer WILL make me reach orgasm, regardless of company.

Saag Paneer.

I fucking love that cheese.

Is this recipe Burmese? Or adapted-to-west-from-Burmese? Looks dope regardless, mixing SE asian stuff with north indian flavors is GOAT (love massaman curry)

titlisbusykitchen.com/recipe/chicken-phal
just swap the chicken with lamb. ive made with chicken a few times and is fucking awesome.

Not him but glad to oblige.

see The only thing that isn't authentically Bamar about it is swapping out the kapi for fish sauce because that can be hard to find some place. Many overseas Burmese have taken to substituting fish sauce in for kapi.

Related question. I'm fairly new to cooking, just tried to make my first curry right now. Combined advice from various youtube videos. It's simmering right now, I have yet to taste it. Anyone tell me what I did right/wrong?

>Chopped up a whole onion, 3 cloves of garlic, and 2 extremely hot Thai chilies and threw them in a blender
>Added a good charge of turmeric, cumin seed, cloves, cayenne pepper, paprika, powdered ginger, and garam masala
>Sloshed in some white wine vinegar
>Blended until it was a liquid
>Put it in a pan with some oil, heated it up a bit
>Added water and chopped chicken
>Waited until the chicken started to cook a bit, then added potatoes
>Covered and started to cook pretty low. It's still going

Pictures upcoming if anyone's interested. So far it tastes all right but a little too much like vinegar and ginger

The vinegar seems slightly odd. I'd definitely recommend cooking the onion and garlic and seasonings before blending it up - cook the onion for a few minutes, add garlic and chiles for a minute, then add the spices for a couple minutes.

Also if you want extra flavor, add a 2 - 3 chopped tomatoes to the onions. Some yogurt or cream or coconut milk can be a tasty addition to curry too.

Adding a little sugar might help offset the overly vinegar-y flavor.

use coconut milk not water
don't use vinegar
tastes better if you can be bothered grinding your spices with a mortar and pestle
use real ginger not powdered ginger
gonna hazard a guess and say you used breast meat, if so, u dun goofed real bad use thigh meat

thai way would be start with coconut cream and add your spice paste to that, then add meat, then add coconut milk and water when meat has browned

indian way would be to fry spice paste in oil, then add meat, brown, then add liquid.

Not liquid & meat at the same time.

Forgot to mention. I added tomato paste during the cooking, and yogurt at the very end to thicken it up.

I'm eating it now. It's pretty good, better than I thought for a first try, but the vinegar is a little overwhelming. Several different places said to start by steeping your spices, onions, garlic and peppers in vinegar before cooking--I was supposed to use malt vinegar but I didn't have any on hand. The recipes I was following were all for vindaloo, if that makes a difference.

I didn't think of sugar. I'll try that next time.

Baingan bharta (mash eggplant, onions, and tomatoes) is my favorite. I could eat that every day with jeera rice.

I've never made vindaloo specifically so maybe vinegar is typical, but if you think the vinegar flavor is too strong it wouldn't hurt to omit it.

Tomato paste isn't a bad thing to use but fresh tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes would give a fresher flavor.

At least according to every curry cook on Youtube it is. All the vindaloos seem to start with steeping all the spices--especially the hot peppers--in vinegar for a long time. Next time I just don't think I'll try to make a vindaloo.

I know the fresh tomatoes would have helped, but I was using the paste as kind of a thickening agent when it got too soupy cause I added too much water. I know you can do it with yogurt too, but I didn't want to make it too creamy.

Why's breast meat so bad?
Vinegar seems to be technically the correct way to do it, for a vindaloo at least. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindaloo#History
That's good to know about thai vs. indian way of doing it. I think I'll try a standard Indian curry next time, instead of a vindaloo.

Breast meat is lean. It doesn't have much fat in it to break down and keep the meat tender over long cooking. Lean cuts of meat should be cooked quickly. You wouldn't slow cook an eye fillet. It's an expensive cut of beef, but if you cook it very long at all it gets dry and tough. Same with breasts. They can be delicious, but the margin of error is very small.

Slow low heat cooking like curries, stews, tagines etc, should be done with fattier, cheaper bits of meat. They just keep breaking down, getting more tender and are very forgiving. For chicken, (boneless or not) thighs are best. In India, breast meat is cheapest and thighs are more expensive (because Indian people aren't retarded).

>Indian people aren't retarded
Have you ever had to call outsourced customer support?

But I was just using the cheapest meat I could find--I'm kind of a poorfag and was trying to make my poorfag food more interesting (which I thought was the point of the original curry anyway). Saw chicken breasts on sale and got them for curry. I'll get thighs next time they're on sale and try again.

I worked at a customer support with indians in high school and i can confirm they are retarded in that facet of life.

There's just a wierd anglosphere preference for white chicken meat that makes 0 sense to me.

Lamb shanks are another cheap cut of meat you could look for that is bomb in a curry.

check out vahchef if you want to learn more about curry he is pretty cool guy

Korai Kebbab Cocktail Massala, it's like a korai but they stick chicken, lamb a piece of tandoori chicken on the bone and a whole sheek kebab in there, very nice w. coconut rice

Or just a Dhansak I guess