Are emotions necessary for society in this day and age...

Are emotions necessary for society in this day and age? And if people were to stop thinking emotionally and instead just use pure, cold logic, how different would the world be?

So if everyone were a psychopath? I think it'd be beneficial as long as they don't have the thirst for power as psychopaths do.

Why are people so obsessed with cold hard logic and the removal of human emotion? Personally I like my feelings and our depth of empathy and emotion is one of our most "human" traits. If you want straight efficiency and logic I'd suggest becoming a termite.

>Are emotions necessary for society in this day and age?
Yes, obviously.

>And if people were to stop thinking emotionally and instead just use pure, cold logic, how different would the world be?
Logic doesn't provide goals; overarching goals and motivations are necessarily alogical. So a "purely logical" society would have no reason to do anything at all.

>So if everyone were a psychopath?
Psychopaths do have emotions, they just don't give a shit about other people's

fucking hell I hate that picture.

Even discounting emotions people rarely think logically. 99% of decision-making is intuition.

Yes, we need more autism and "logic". If there where no emotions you would not do anything illogical, so wasting your time doing something illogical like trying make the world better or making science breakthroughs would be illogical thing to do.

uhh yes. humans are beings that feel who just so happen to calculate

Not everyone can be a genus like tesla or lenardo da vinci.

I can't relate with the right side of this picture at all.

Say goodbye to your vidya.
Say goodbye to music.
Say goodbye to art in general.
Pretty much any creative endeavor relies on human emotion.

If everyone only thought logically our race would die from mass suicide.

>digital vs analog
>sur-real
>colors
>random
>linear
>fun

what the fuck who makes this shit

And nothing of value was lost.

>video games aren't mostly math/science related, produced with algorithms and logic
>digital music doesn't exist, you can't use math/science to create it
>implying most art isn't done with technology
>implying most creative endeavors rely on emotion

You must be fucking boring as shit.

Define necessary: If you mean are they essential, the answer is obviously no but having creativity and imagination makes everyones life better, Sure the most efficent shape for a house could be calculated and re-built millions of times around the world but then there would be no variety.
What about the general thing made by designers? Sure the most efficent way to create packaging is black and white but would that be appealing to you to buy and eat compared to the colourful stuff we have now.
Plus, some people are just not able to do well in the analytical subjects, people like artists, musicans and writers. I'd rather have them create some interesting to look at/listen to/read.

Nice projection. Who is more boring? Someone who only wastes his time with shallow anti-intellectual escapist entertainment (e.g. vidya, music) or someone who explores the depth of human knowledge?

Autism doesn't belong on this board. >>>/reddit/

Why would anyone continue to live? Why would anyone bother to drink water or eat food?

wow! nice strawman meme overthere.

like wtf do atheist have to do with this?

That image is cancer and you should feel bad for posting it. Also are you aware that we cannot make decisions without emotions?

emotions are no longer necessary in society.

Emotions and thinking aren't so different. There is no such thing as cold logic—everybody has a worldview that affects how they process new information. The only things that can be processed using cold logic—like physics—are already processed in such a way, making your point moot. Anyhow, emotions evolved for very specific reasons as an aid to human survival, and there is really nothing noble about trying to rid yourself of them.

Emotions drive people to do ANYTHING - what does it matter to better society for a future generation when you will not be here? Life for an individual is objectively pointless without bullshit faith, thus, what else would you suggest is our inspiration?

Yep no way someone can be a scientist AND appreciate art and music! Better stick to that strict binary worldview. Wouldn't want to get distracted by feeeeeelings!

>creative right brain vs logical left brain dichotomy

Into the trash it goes, followed by a black hole.

There are events that have no other context than emotion. What if your mom died? Anyone who would use purely scientific terms to describe that has something wrong with them. Most events in life have a relationship dynamic, meaning a subjective and emotional dynamic. This is somewhat observable and, starting to be, explained by evolutionary psychology. Still, emotions wouldn't have evolved if they didn't have a clear function. Quit using"emotions bad" to justify your lackluster relationships... that you know you wish were better.

>Are emotions necessary

I erased my detailed answer because you don't deserve it. Kill your self.

"Artists".

We would realize that we need emotions.
Also, fuck that image.