John Barth seems like a really good writer who intentionally writes books that aren't enjoyable

John Barth seems like a really good writer who intentionally writes books that aren't enjoyable

every time this started to pick up it was like the book mocked me for enjoying myself.

postmodernism: not even once

I don't know how you're getting that reaction. I found that book to be really fun and funny. Enjoyed myself with it much more than with the other peaux-meaux doorstoppers Veeky Forums loves.

He writes rather well, but he just really overestimates how profound his ideas are. Kind of like John Fowles on steroids. Too obsessed with how clever his book idea is.

yeah if your IQ is in the double digits you shouldn't bother

You're right. John Barth is an edge-master. All his early work is ripped off French existentialism filtered through autism. Then his next few books are him sucking Sterne and Cervantes' dicks, and then everything since letters has been Barth sucking his own dick in literary form. If you think Barth is any good you've been huffing too much Pynchon.

i dont get it

has the right idea. Barth isn't "le clever pomo man" at all. If you bother to approach the work on his terms, he's actually a pretty sentimental, honest, and funny writer. The first two books of Chimera are a great example of this.

If you find yourself getting frustrated at some dense or overly analytical-sounding passage, you're taking the author and yourself too seriously. If you think he's trying too hard to be clever, you're probably projecting.

if you'll notice, the text where the author's name should be says "Darth" instead of "Barth." without having read the book, i think that's the extent of the joke

O fuk I replied to the wrong person. I clearly meant

>the indian toking a huge marijuana pot bong

It's all making sense.

>tobacco sack

anyone know where I can listen to Lost in the Funshouse's supposed listenable stories?

Bumping for this

>marijuana pot bong

this novel was great until the whole pirate rape shit.

i mean, rape is okay and all, as a literary theme, but when it comes down to the author clearly wanking it on the page, setting down his disgusting fantasies for anything but literary merit, i turn my head away. fuck barth and his creepy lookin face.

>when it comes down to the author clearly wanking it on the page, setting down his disgusting fantasies for anything but literary merit, i turn my head away.

I didn't read it this way at all.

well, i'm sorry, this novel was presented as an all chuckles, laugh out loud novel full of fun and merriment, and while there are rape jokes that are funny, a belabored mass rape of prostitutes on a pirate ship just doesn't tickle my funny bone, brah. we each have our tastes in literature, i suppose.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as hostile.

>this novel was presented as an all chuckles, laugh out loud novel full of fun and merriment
> a belabored mass rape of prostitutes on a pirate ship just doesn't tickle my funny bone

I mean, Barth is certainly a comic writer, and unapologetically bawdy, but not to the extent that he expects you to find rape in that context funny. In my understanding. But maybe I was reading it with a more forgiving attitude, which I'm prone to do.

>not laughing at whores getting what they deserve

What is it with the influx of faggots popping in threads just to shit them up with their edgy teen nonsense?

>check the date
>it's June

Ah.

>but not to the extent that he expects you to find rape in that context funny

For some user context ends where their feelings begin.

This book should have a trigger warning on the cover at the very least. Better yet we should burn every copy in a defiant act of virtue signalling.

>what are jokes

kek I'm sure this board was a bastion of sophisticated and credentialed intellectuals as of March.

>this knee-jerk reaction

I'm not the person you're referring to as "some user," but man, the anti-sjws are getting almost as bad as the sjws themselves. This wasn't a remotely political issue until you made it one. Jesus.

everything is a political issue nowadays. it is impossible to get away from inconsequential bullshit like identity politics thus obscuring the real issue which is the abusing of a class system

>what is a summerfag

To be fair, you're not incorrect. Just grossly immature.

Kek nice meme, friend :^) you sure showed me!

I see summer has arrived.

>everything is a political issue nowadays
not really a great excuse, if i'm being honest

>the real issue which is the abusing of a class system
fair enough, comrade

but the rapes weren't even described in detail
and all the pirates got so drunk and excited by the time they were able to rape most of them passed out

>>this knee-jerk reaction

Don't be such a clown. The user I was responding to had a knee-jerk reaction first and foremost.

>fuck barth and his creepy lookin face.

I respond in kind and all of a sudden I'm the first in the exchange to do this. Right.

Ah, no, that's fair. I was more responding to the immediate politicization of the discussion toward a discussion of "trigger warnings" and all that jazz. But you're right, the first user was pretty overly reactionary to begin with. I don't necessarily agree with your response, but I will amend my hypocrisy about it.

yeesh, i didn't expect it to get this out of hand. i just felt the rape stuff was unpleasant and that's why i stopped reading the book. I typically just look at a book as to whether or not the artistic valor is worth the potential mental anguish that the events therein might toll.
I don't care if other people like Barth, i was just saying why i didn't. Read the stuff if you like, goys. also, fuck creepy rapist fantasies masquerading as literature.