Microscopy General

What are your favorite techniques

Also light optical is for losers :^)

>Also light optical is for losers :^)

SEM all day baby. Just look at these bitching coral aragonite crystals.

Now this is a rock thin section. This is with a the backscatter electron detector and the brighter the feature heavier it is.

Why can't they do it in color? Why is greyscale apparently easier to do than color, both for this and for early television?

scientists have yet to discover a camera small enough to take such tiny pictures

STM > AFMemescope

All forms of microscopy except light are for plebs.

Fourier Plane Microscopy is goat

If you're not working with metamaterials past the diffraction limit, you aren't a real scientist.

What causes those ripples?

FT-STS

Quantum mechanics. Those are electron Bloch waves.

It uses electrons to bounce off the material. It's like visual binary, it can only determine depth. It's amazing we get such fine detail at all.
Fear not, there are many hobbyists who take them and colorize them using programs like photoshop. Some turn out to be quite good but it's almost entirely artistic. It's doubtful they actually have anything that might be called color anyway. Too small, color travels on light waves of a certain size.

confocal or multi-photon, plebs

the obligatory:

can someone recommend me a good (hopefully not shit expensive) microscope?

olympus FV1200 with IX83 ZDC

youre talking about fucking microscopes, i assume you know your shit, if youre not gonna suggest anything, then remain quiet and ignore my post

SEM is hella great. My school has a Phenom desktop model that I get to use whenever.

It's got some image noise but it's not bad.

I have an OMAX, I don't remember the model off-hand but it goes up to like 2000X or 2500X. Was about 350$ IIRC. Has an integrated camera. I bought a darkfield condenser for it and I love it. It's pretty good for home use.

Whats the point of these guys again?

I mean...what do they actually do with their time?