What are the drawbacks of the gold standard besides the fact that wars can't be financed on it?

What are the drawbacks of the gold standard besides the fact that wars can't be financed on it?

The government cant constantly spend money they don't have

it would require money be valuable

What would happen after Planetary Resources brings first million tones of this stuff mined from asteroids?

Well they can't do it with fiat either, right? Because it leads to inflation. See Brazil.

Pretty much just that: liberal democracies have a difficult time raising taxes, but are under constant demand for new public services and foreign adventurism. Therefore, the state has to find other ways to fund its projects - debt with inflation as an obscured tax.

Liberalism/democracy results in Plutocracy/communism/tyranny. The ancients knew this.

it's a giant bubble

The real economy outgrows the coen economy

Women stay savers instead of compulsive spenders

Congress critters don't have gibs to get

gold is fucking terrible to transact with due to cost of verifying quality and divisibility, leading to central deposit schemes, leading to fractional lending schemes, etc. etc.

and to add further since I sort of didn't answer your question (since the "gold standard' eliminates transaction difficulties by being a central deposit scheme). central deposit schemes don't work in the long run because they always fail from too many localized states corruption

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Euro is effectively a like the gold standard for Euro member countries and you see the havoc it is wreaking to shitholes like Greece and so on

When a country is poor and shit it needs to be able to devaluate its currency so foreign trade doesnt disappear

It doesn't matter what currency works or not. As right now, the West is about to shed it's skin and enter a new era. Whether or not it's a positive transition for Western civilians is yet to be seen.

Only thing everyone should be doing here is accumulating crypto for the indefinite shit show coming up.

No bully pls. What do you mean?

I've thought a lot about this. Biggest problem i see, is that as gold appreciates, I'd have to lower my employees wage over time. I'm sure that would go over well.

because keynesian economics has failed

Can you elaborate a bit on this

It hasn't failed yet ...

austrian school of economics has been proven that it can't work on a larger scale (globalization)
keynesian policies saved the US ass during the great recession and deflation

You're retarded I'm putting my crypto gains into kilos of Pamp Suisse pure gold

Gold is intrinsic in value

What are keynesian and Austrian economics?

Anyone know a book or two on basic economics that can give me a quick rundown(no meme) on all these things? Please recommend.

All economics books are biased, theres no such thing as an unbiased economics book so your best bet is reading a couple and the picking the one you agree with the most.

I was getting at everything that is going on. Western Europe, the US, even Canada. A lot of tension being built up and whenever the West goes through an era of large scale war/revolutions it enters a new era. But if the war/revolutions don't go our way, as I said, it may not be a positive transformation. I just view the discussion of what currency works as a non-factor because it's far too late to change anything. We're all on the roller coaster until it hits a screeching stop. Only then can we actually change how our currency systems work.

>the government can't just print fiat money
LMAOING AT YOUR LIFE
How do you think the economic crisis of 2008 ended?

Hayek, The Road to Serfdom
Freidman, Free to Chose

Well I just want to learn the basics like what is inflation, what are the Austrian economics and the keynesian economics, how the economy works, etc? Very basic stuff like that, no theories. I'm new to Veeky Forums.