Be me

>be me
>taking Calc I in summer
>walk in classroom
>tables with 4 chairs each sit in groups
>"This class is group based learning, you guys are going to be working on problems together and learning from each other in class"
>Oh, great
>2 people in my group can't even into basic algebra, wtf
>other person is alright but unsure of herself and slow
>I am able to grasp and apply this stuff off quickly, but it takes forever to get my work done because I effectively have to tutor everyone in group and walk them through it

This is extremely frustrating. I can't decide if it's good or bad for me, on one hand it's definitely holding me back from stuff I want to pay more attention to personally, but on the other hand it's good because maybe it tests and reinforces my understanding by having to figure out how to show it to other people after I've just barely learned it.

Have any of you had an experience like this?

>calc i
>feeling superiority to anyone

also
>calc i
>going to class

-Try to help your peers understand the math the best you can and try not to make their weakness yours
-Talk to your teacher about changing groups or separating yourself altogether

Don't sweat it. High school teachers are used to accommodating autistic children.

isnt teaching others the best way to learn?

>Have any of you had an experience like this?
Only my entire undergraduate career.

Had classes like that in high school. Was fucking frustrating, because I hated working in groups. (Maybe it's better in other subjects [it isn't], but math is fucking terrible).

Not when you don't understand why someone is asking you something that seems like the basic of all basics. How do you explain something that is so easy to figure out?

Lol owned

>How do you explain something that is so easy to figure out?
By not being such a pretentious cunt.

This. I used to get drunk and miss calc 1 classes. I didn't lose anything, as the professor was just spoon feeding business administration retards with no analytic abilities.

Topkek

Not when you are learning it for the first time yourself. Teaching helps you fill in gaps, question what you took for granted, and solidify knowledge.

people in my group can't even into basic algebra, wtf
>>other person is alright but unsure of herself and slow

Your fault for joining the group of all girls.

But I'm not, at least not intentionally. I try my best to help but sometimes all I can come up with "that's just how it is", because I don't understand what they're asking.

Classmate asked a question and I didn't understand what they were struggling with, so I told them to try explain, and they simply repeated the question.

I basically co-taught my physics and math classes this past semester at UC Berkeley.
I got A+'s in the classes, which I attribute to my tutoring the other students. It's the most effective way to gain in depth understanding of the material.

Some professors take attendance.

Also Topkek

>working in groups
>people of vastly different ability levels
>math class
Just no, fuck no

They're the worst.
If I find your class interesting I'll show up, if not, then what the hell do you care if I'm sitting there or not?

Checked. Also true for my professors.

>be my Calc I professor
>10% of our grade is in-lecture pop quizzes
>says their *might* be one almost every week, so don't skip ;)
>one first week of school at the end of August
>one in late November
>one in December

>mfw he rused me into going to class for two months like a bitch

10 is small enough to not care. My homework was 10 percent which gave me the possibility of getting A-, if I missed the homework which I did.

NEVER
GIVE
AWAY
A
POINT,
EVER

That makes sense if you care about your grade

Ouside of high school, this advice is beyond terrible. You do not want to be 'that guy' to the people who will be writing letters for you.

Teaching others is one of the best ways of achieving higher comprehension in a subject.

Get rekt you introverted autist.

You get kicked out if you missed two weeks of classes with mine and if you had to use the bathroom or the phone was ever seen that's your absence.

Who knew university could be worse than high school.

Are you me?
>class, Separations
>"homework is worth five percent of the grade"
>friend and I walk out
>I guess there's no homework then

>Transport
>homework thirty percent of the grade
>I still don't do half of them, turn in about a quarter of them late (7/10 max)
>final is worth 35%, retarded people with 95% or more homework overall freaking out about passing
>I get a B

If I was a professor I would NEVER make homework mandatory, nor have online quizzes. YOU have to grade it, you're allowing all kinds of cheating and dishonesty to pollute the grades, and you'll separate the wheat from the chaff.

>Teaching others is one of the best ways of achieving higher comprehension in a subject.

Too lazy to cite this but it's true. Have read studies on it and have tutored math for years. The things I have tutored I know like the back of my hand now. Wish I could tutor some concepts I'd like to be stronger in lel

I'm not the OP and this is a dumb post.

The OP explicitly acknolwedges both the personal benefits and also the frustrations of teaching material, in an adult and even-handed way. You for your post choose to ignore what the OP actually wrote, in order to impart a caricature which doesn't actually match the information provided, or the tone of the OP's post. You then stupidly declare victory even though even full normies also know full well that interacting with others can be frustrating and unpleasant at times

Not who you're responding to but this is a dumb post.

The person responding to OP was clearly, in his own way, espousing the benefit of teaching others, implying that the situation which OP is in is ultimately beneficial to him, thus helping OP decide if the situation is good or bad for him as he asked.

He then added "get rekt you introverted autist" because this is still Veeky Forums and he's not a completely humorless autistic fuck like yourself.

Get rekt you humorless autist.

Where the fuck do you go to school? North Korea?

"""""""professors"""""" at """universities"""

That's my community college classes

Don't change groups. Teachers typically put stronger students with weaker students.

Yes.

No.

At my uni, the department uses first two weeks attendance to determine whether they need to drop you from the class or not. After that you can do whatever you want.