UCLA gunman had accused his victim of stealing his source code

>Sarkar had accused the victim of stealing his computer code and giving it to someone else, according to police.

Would you kill your professor took the source code from your PhD project and gave it to another student?

latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mainak-sarkar-ucla-20160602-snap-story.html

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Re7iKVTN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the number of times I have seen someone on this board claim others are paranoid because they want to protect themselves from theft is staggering.
And yet...

Should have used GPLv3

Apparently the pooinloo was really shit and the professor guided him after hours to just make him pass courses.

I've met people like this at uni and they just never fucking learn.

How can he be shit if he made it to a PhD

Could sue instead of murder. Might get money instead of prison.

>Should have used GPLv3
Or this, but if you're going to open source I'm not very into copyleft personally.

If I was at the PhD level and someone stole my code I'd be pretty pissed.

I mean, maybe what he was working on was the groundwork for a new money making machine and the professor wanted to speed that shit up by handing it to other students.

Hell, if someone stole my code right now which is no more than trivial applications I'd be very fucking pissed.

But kill for it? That guy is stupid. From the article it says he was doing well working as an engineering analyst. That's pretty fucking good if you ask me. That was a nice life to live.

why not fucking sue him ?.
fucking code moneys all crazy

Not sure if kidding or genuinely plugging it,
I'll just add that all open source can be made unrecognisable

If you open source a novel idea as a PhD student, and someone reimplements your idea, you have proof that it is not original work. Which is the point, I would assume.

bs, stallman can see you. Anybody with half a clue using your software will realize. You're just lucky that people who have been using your garbage are clueless

Just go to a bank and get it notarized or something?

Seems like you could protect original work pretty easily. I think it's more likely he had a nervous breakdown after failing the class or went insane before then.

>implying I have any software
>people realise plagiarised code by running it
Veeky Forums has decayed you

Getting onto a PhD course isn't inherently difficult. I have met countless inept PhD elects

Shit some universities don't even interview you before offering a place. All that matters is securing the research funding in the first place. After that they couldn't care less who does the work.

Also, I have a PhD so go figure

I would

He had a bachelor's from IIT Kharagpur, master's from Stanford.

Must've been pretty intelligent but stupid as fuck, and not used to depression.

>Must have been pretty smart, but also stupid

You are the stupid user

What's the point of a kill list with three people on it?

It's not clear that actually happened. The guy could have just been schizophrenic or something.

yeah that is true in engineering and experimental subjects

>yeah that is true in engineering and experimental subjects
kek
sure user, sure.

It is, any retard can get a phd in physics as long as he can set the instruments and take measures

and any retard can get a phd in math as long as they can review papers and prove a few lemmas.

Should have copyrighted the source code or something before giving it to the guy he killed.

>trusting people in an academic setting

lol.

The professor he killed taught my MATLAB course, he was a chill dude

>indians claiming work that others did as their own
What's new?

Excellent understanding of copyright user. First result from google:
>For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not.

>implying that statement works in the real world

It's possible to be smart but stupid with respect to practical matters.

Most Cali students expect to be handheld through the entire course because Californians have less critical thinking skills than other Americans. That's why we get all our fake fad diets, crazy cults, a disproportionate amount of serial killers, pseudoscience bullshit (ex. anti-vax) from Cali.

I was a teacher at the University of Georgia and am at the University of Arizona now, and the Cali kids flooding the school are so fucking dumb compared to students at my old university.

Except that this guy wasn't born or raised in California.

>University of Arizona
Smart Cali students study in the UC system, which is all around better than anything in Arizona.

I have to agree with you, and I'm from Cali. I think it's because this state has so many brown people.

Majority of brown people don't even go to college.

experimental phds are orders of magnitude more stressful than theoretical ones

also this website is 18+

And if they do, they go to the CSUs.

That is true, but we're getting a lot of average California freshmen now, since the UC system is cucking Californians out of college by letting in more international students (that they get to charge double tuition). I teach freshmen with what I would consider good high-school GPAs and a lot of sophomores with decent GPAs, but put really short UoA is basing a lot of our job performance reviews on the student-submitted evaluations, which is really dumbing down everything. Lots at play there.
I don't think that's why, I just think living in that turboliberal hellhole like that makes people too stupid to think properly.

What's wrong with CSUs? Cal Poly Pomona, SDSU, and maybe CSU Long Beach have great engineering departments. To be honest, If one isn't going to UCLA, Berkeley, or one of the elite schools like Harvard then does it really matter?

>what's wrong with the CSUs?

Plenty of things. Considering an engineering major, I'd start with the fact that everything is impacted and it takes fucking forever to get the classes you need to graduate. For sciences and math this is not so much a problem because the majors are very small.
Some of these schools host close to 40,000 people on a campus with not enough buildings or teachers. The administration is adopting policies regarding part-time faculty that makes it very hard to retain their jobs, etc.
Good students can flourish, but most are resigned to being a slave to the university as part of the overwhelming masses that don't receive personal guidance in their studies. This happens especially because of the size of certain majors and the students' unfamiliarity with a true academic environment.
Plus they accept just about anyone so there's a fair amount of retards. I imagine it's slightly better than community college though. I never went to cc so I wouldn't know.

CSU administration runs the campuses like a business, and doesn't mind if their policies effect the quality of research at the institution. There is a consistent lowering of standards in "hard" courses like remedial algebra so more halfwit communications majors can continue to enroll and apply for student loans. As a result, departments like math and physics are forced to cater to lots of people and make courses much easier. Part timers teach those introductory (or remedial) courses, and if they fail too many students, they could lose their job.

It's a cluster fuck of bureaucracy trying to maintain the image of the good California schools like the UCs, but really just wasting money.

anybody else notice the resemblance to Breaking Bad here?
>important work stolen, but nobody believes you
>drive cross-country in a Nissan unnoticed to kill your last enemy and yourself

>Thinking theoretical physics is harder than experimental

This meme again :^)

so much this.

youtube are full of Indian nationalist shills they keep commenting on everything cs related and writes about how an Indian did it before and got the idea stolen.

But UC's literally cuck california residents for international students all the time as well. It's not just CSU's running their campuses like businesses.

The impactation can be looked at as a good thing though. It raises the GPA requirements to apply and get in. UCD gpa requirements for engineering is like 3.1 while SJSU is already hovering around the same (granted if you want a shot your GPA should be higher) nevermind a campus like san luis obispo who declines a shitload of people with really good GPA's. It's probably easier to get into UCI, UCR, UCD or UCSD over san luis obispo at this point.

shit is getting crazy yo.

>Talks about the literally shit tier UC's (Though not UCSD, UCSD is pretty good)
>Compares to SLO, which is top tier
No shit.

UCI, UCSD, and UCD are equal. I think UCI just got ranked #9 for public unis.

My friend got into Berkeley(from CC) but got denied to SLO for engineering

When you are a grad student. You should consider anything you produce in your course work, to be property of the university.

>UCD
>shit tier

are you underage or something? UCD is well respected and i've literally never heard it referred as shit tier level.

The point I was trying to make is that if you can get into SLO you will probably get into the the best UC's in the state. And if you can get in to SJSU you can probably get into UCD.

At least, this is what I've noticed with people I know. It's not that difficult to get into UC's outside of UCLA or Berkeley at this point. Since the requirements are starting to get so high for a CSU you can meet the criteria for almost all UC's.

Only difference is that CSU's are impacted which is a point I agree with the guy I was originally replying to.

Nah, I'm at Cal, I just grew up near UCD. It's "shit tier" enough that it was my number 5 out of 5 when I was applying.
SLO has a lot of people taking longer than expected, and few spots in engineering. If your friend wasn't big in Ag, I'm not shocked.

>Being this dense

Lord why do you send us these palookas?

Are you considering just the undergraduate programs at UCs and CSUs? I'm not sure that's fair. The UC graduate program is also top notch, while the CSUs don't even have PhD programs.

And SLO aside, most of the CSU campuses have very high acceptance rates. It's not very hard to get in. The CSU rates are 2-3 times higher than the UC rates in some cases.

Cal poly Pomona, Sdsu, and CSI long beach have an acceptance rate similar to cp SLO.

I got into UCI and got denied from UCR for computer science.

I'll be starting UCI this fall for CS, any tips? Junior level transfer. Quarter system tough?

i would go with the sensible choice and not major in compsci in the first place

What was your GPA? I got into UCSD yet was wait listed at UCI.

And the quarter system is tougher, but better, Semesters are so fucking dragged out.

>hurr durr it's theft guys
Christ you all are fucking retarded. the professor secured funding for the research and as a result the results coming out of the project being to the lab/university. he gave the code to another student to keep the project going. the new student will then continue the research and further develop the code and so forth. This is the nature of science.

in my experience Indians are mostly all introverted beta autists anyhow. poo in the loo probably had no interpersonal skills and no idea of how to talk to his Prof like a normal human being.

3.6, I also tag'd though.

>when Veeky Forums /r9k/ and /k/ meet.

>Georgia
>Arizona
>Capable of thought.
I lol'd.

I'm not from California but i I've heard of a ton of research from California and literally nothing novel from Arizona or Georgia.

This. You are working for the university. Don't be a schizophrenic Paki cunt.

Im doing the fall semester at SDSU, should i bring my body-armor? Or do the shooters tend to spare international students?

He was using Windows 10 and forgot to turned off password sharing.

> Or do the shooters tend to spare international students?

You guys are the first ones to go.

Not really. You pretty much have to have a perfect master to get in.

True. However it is also true that a lot of incompetent people get in.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want my supervisor to give away my work to people outside of the group.

He probably took it because the faggot wasnt doing shit and gave his work to someone else.

>How can he be shit if he made it to a PhD
High schooler spotted.

Maybe 30 years ago it would have been hard to become a phd candidate, now they just let everyone through.

It was much easier to get into PhD programs (and good undergrad schools) 30 years ago.

Carl S. Marvel was here at the Uni of Arizona for a very long time and he basically started modern polymer chemistry. I remember NASA even made him a suit vest of a thermal polymer he created, and he wore it a lot. Dude was incredibly talented. If you haven't heard of anything novel he made here, you probably don't know much about chemistry.

UGA is also a pretty good school and is consistently highly ranked. You probably have heard a lot about California because their universities have a ton of people, their state has a ton of money, and some of the best chem programs in the world are in Cali. That has very little bearing on what the average student is like, though.

seconding for smelly autist curry-lord. seriously street shitters have ZERO skills when it comes to actually holding down a conversation with another human.

No because I'm not a fucking retard that gives academics access to my private repos.

My best ideas that haven't been written up for publication yet are all dated and stored in both hardcopy logbooks and an encrypted drive. Code with potential value for more publications is hidden and I only give collaborators access to bin blobs. Only one of my supervisors has access to what he needs and I'm actually good friends with my other supervisor who knows exactly what I'm doing, but can't code.

My shit is scoop proof.

And I fucking subscribe to the FSF and literally spend weekends writing code for freetard projects. I might give my open source away for free, but I make damn sure I get credit for it. So should you.

>Rebecca Hambalek, 20, pre-psychology,

How the fuck can you be "pre" such a shitty degree? That's like being pre-pre-med.

Found the code
pastebin.com/Re7iKVTN

There are plenty of "smart" people who spend half a decade plus on their PhD without significant publications. Those are the ones who bitch about being unemployed "despite having a PhD". Doing a PhD without a clear career plan and GETTING OUT FAST can make you toxic to employers. Be warned.

>After that they couldn't care less who does the work.
Of course professors care when their hard earned funding gets pissed away. Sometimes you are just unlucky and get shitty exambabbies instead of talented researchers. It's a catch 22 since it's almost impossible to tell which is which before actually seeing them in action.

It's harder than ever to get into grad-school, the competition for the PhD market is just much more fierce than it has ever been. If you read the article you'll see the industry guy complimenting him on a FEA code project so he wasn't utter shit, he just wasn't good enough compared to better researchers.

Topkek.

lmao

why does Veeky Forums hate state universities so much? there are billions of people around the world who would kill for a place at any American university

>What's the point of a kill list with three people on it?
Obviously to piss off the one he didn't get. It worked. Imagine getting informed by the police that some irrelevant shitskin wanted to kill you. He probably had to do an interview and everything I bet it was very inconvient.

Not really, I'd much rather attend any European or third world university that is the top in the country than American stateshit.

The IP belongs to the university, but you are not allowed to strip authorships from your students, if it was unpublished code and not just a continuation of the project that's different. It might not even have been related to the faggots main project. We don't know all the details.

Top post m8

i was rejected by cal ucla and went to ucsd
really lame boring school
should have gone to csun to save money
keep in mind no one cares which reject uc school you go to
the reject school have very little name value outside of the west coast
if you want a degree with name value spend a little more and go to usc

>people talking about UCs vs CSUs

Protip: it doesn't fucking matter for undergrad. Pick the cheapest that is accredited.

Masters degree: try to go to a UC

Pointless elitism.

Are we going to ignore the fact that he was a pajeet? The guy probably never had an original idea in his life.

Because UCs cost twice as much as a csu, so they have to justify their reasoning why they went somewhere else.

>white person shoots up school
>no mention of his race ever
>brown person shoots up school
>his race is all anyone talks about

> brown person detected
no wonder you're shit at chem

Guess it can be stressful since you have no idea whatsoever about what you're doing.

ad hominem

This is funny because I know a prof at UA that used to be at UGA but he would never say something like that.

Actually, I'd laugh my ass off if this was somehow him.

>Sweeping generalizations

>Claims if youre from an area approximately 160,000 square miles you must be dumb.

Okay professor Keksimus, let us know how summer school goes.

Kekekekekekekeke

>it doesn't fucking matter for undergrad
why do autists always assume that everyone wants to be an academia slave and go to grad school?

For industry it doesn't matter either. If your university isn't prestigious you can make up for it with work experience.

>implying industry gives a shit about your college unless it's a top firm

Work experience>>name of school

Fuck. Bringing my SAPI-plates as well then..

>matlab
literal cancer

Not if the school is an elite private or Big4 Publics. JP Morgan does not hire Shit State grads for Manhattan analyst jobs.

Re-read the implication.

matlab is a fucking meme

No, I'm probably not him :)

I am biased and very much love Georgia, what's his name though?

shut the fuck up