Is this the only Veeky Forums approved video game?

Is this the only Veeky Forums approved video game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M4QqxDXnhSM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Aside from the fact that the whole /board/ approved thing is bullshit, no.

If we're talking about narrative, these are to consider

>Crusader Kings 2
>Dwarf Fortress
>The Void
>The large part of CRPGs
>SoulsBorne franchise (meme me to hell)
>Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
>Sleeping Dogs (kinda)
>Hotline Miami
>Risk of Rain

Forgot,
>King of Dragon Pass

The Void is made by the same studio
what great pedigree

i dunno about you but i like world of warships
i open zipangu port and the wind blows cherry petals at the bow of my destroyer... aww

also the warships are adorable

Yeah, lately they did a 2d horror sidescroller that, while not being great, is somewhat interesting.

All Reddit meme games. Video games have never had a good or complex narratove.

Its certainly pretentious enough.

I suppose that this is the only game Veeky Forums would approve.

>The shitty call of cthulhu video game is Veeky Forums

Why is it shitty?

Uh yeah, may have pulled that out of my ass.

Even if you were thinking about narrative merely in terms of content you'd be wrong, but I was referring to how a story is told - which is open to a remarkable array of possibilities in videogames, a few of which I've represented with my picks.

Also, buzzwords are pretentious Reddit memes with no meaning desu f a m.

Awful voice acting. Riddled with bugs. Shooting mechanics are dull. Based on overrated pulp fiction written by a guy who spoke in a fake British accent so he could sound upper crust.

Well narrative, as pointed out by your own examples, can be understood in a very broad sense, not just a scripted, mostly liniar (even among several lines that are still rigid) storytelling, but also the possibility of making your own story like in CK2.

I'm not a big fan of artsy games as such since even the most pleb game, if developed aesthetically enough, can create artistic experiences. It's more a matter of scenes, almost still pictures. Sure artful games can be filled to the brim with them, but that doesn't mean that they will always click. I suppose it's more a matter of how tolerable the gameplay is in between such pleasant moments (that are not outside of gameplay, just not constant throughout).

*tips plebdora*

youtube.com/watch?v=M4QqxDXnhSM

I am Veeky Forums, I approve of Dominions 4, Stronghold Crusader, UFO: Enemy Unknown (not the new games) and really most really popular games made before 2008.

Fucking faggot ducks get off my tula.

I like shin megami tensei. If you're gonna borrow from mythology, fuckin just steal from absolutely everyone.

It's comfy and I get the same feeling reading a long description gives when playing it for a long time.

No. Yume Nikki is

It's bad even as a Lovecraft adaptation. Halfway through the game you're tasked with flanking an MG42 nest manned by some Innsmouth folk.

>Veeky Forums approved video game

video games are embarrassing trash user

Well to be honest that's fairly similar to how the Shadow Over Innsmouth is written. Haven't played the game myself though.

what's this game like?

wut

Its a survival game where a plague has struck a town. You have to fight to survive and try and solve people's quests in order to discover the truth. You play as three different characters that interact with one another and you can only piece things together by playing as all three of them.

Its made by a dank Russian studio and the atmosphere shows. The remake has fixed most of the translations.

>It's bad even as a Lovecraft adaptation
I don't think its meant to be a direct adaption. Most of it reflects the atmosphere and growing madness very well, but it goes really overboard with the fan service

>lol, he was body swapped by the great race
>lol, fight Dagon
>lol, fight the the polyps with this alien weapon.

Most people say it pretty much stops being interesting when you get a gun. I argue that doesn't help because now your expected to fight back against these Lovecraftian horrors.

Persona 3 has great characters, too bad it takes 90 hours to fully appreciate it though

Why sleeping dogs?

I enjoy the way you have to create your own story as an undercover cop by dedicating yourself to both sides of the law only as much as you wish - which is also implemented in the gameplay by the Triad/Cop dual experience system. It also helps that the story is fairly well written and the characters aren't mere caricatures of various underworld-ish stereotypes, but I'm not done with the game so my opinion may vary.

Errant Signal made a couple interesting videos on this game and Hotline Miami, if I remember correctly, exploring the storytelling implications of gameplay elements.

>no Shadow of Colossus or ICO

The only Veeky Forums approved video game.

Dark Souls had a very interesting style of storytelling where you only figured things out if you put effort into finding them yourself.

Single player Halo 1-3

description doesn't exactly do it justice. There is a remote mountain town that's been struck by a mysterious disease and you must venture in as one of three different healers, each with their own approach to finding a cure. You have 12 days to navigate the town's winding streets and odd social structure as it slowly dies around you

If you can get behind how much of a slow burn it is as a video game, you're in for a bleak experience

red dead redemption was kind of awesome

Says the twat who watches The Big Bang Theory and Grey's Anatomy.

Deus Ex
Planescape: torment

Both due to the careful worldbuilding

>Is this the only Veeky Forums approved video game?

Why are we assuming Veeky Forums has good taste in anything?

How the fuck is that similar to how shadow over innsmouth is written?

That story is 90% architecture descriptions, not war hero bravado and machine guns.

Ending of Sleepy Doge is kind of meh, but still a great game.

The whole final sequence is just one long stealth/action section, with mobs, pitchforks, rusty trucks and jumps from windows to buildings and hiding in high grass.

Carry on then.

The best elder scrolls ever in terms of writings

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is very, very, very underappreciated. It's essentially Nietzche's Will to Power and eternal recurrence weaved into the usual Judeo-Christian framework mixed with Buddhism that Shin Megami Tensei is known for (along minor elements from many other religions and mythologies, some of which surprisingly esoteric). The premise of the game is essentially the remaking of the world according to competing ideals, the way these ideals crumble when faced with reality is really subtly presented in the game but I don't want to spoil it.

I think the worldbuilding was off the charts on this one. Not necessarily the writing itself but the enviroments, each region felt exotic and unlike anything I've ever seen before.

My N'wah

>risk of rain

time to commit suicide. I know you've been considering it for a while, but now you can finally pull that trigger.

this.

This guy fucks. I'd also recommend Dragon's Dogma if you want some more Will to Power/Eternal Recurrence with bonus Fisher King and Shakespeare references.

Xenogears/Xenosaga also explore similar themes, but with added Gnostic craziness thrown in. I'd argue that one of the strengths of video games as a medium is that player immersion allows for things to get very, very heavy in terms of symbolism and exploration of themes without harshly impacting the player's suspension of disbelief.

I was about to play Dragon's Dogma until my PC crapped out and right now all I have is a shitty laptop that can't run it. PS1 emulators should be fine though, so I'll give Xenogears a play.

this is the best game I've ever played. I logged like 750 hours on the GOTY edition before I corrupted my save accidentally

Couldn't hurt to mention that it's (perhaps unsurprisingly) heavily influenced by The Plague by Camus, but on a gameplay level it uses the incredibly janky animations, character models, and shit geometry/draw distance to reinforce the sense of unease. It's cleverly designed to use the Slavic poverty as a resource instead of a weakness

not even Veeky Forums-approved