I just bought a dutch oven, 11 years after Alton Brown told me to. Now what? How do I make perfecy beans...

I just bought a dutch oven, 11 years after Alton Brown told me to. Now what? How do I make perfecy beans? What kind of food do you like to make using these things? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any soup, stew, or braise. Roast chicken on a bed of onions, carrots and celery, lid on first half, lid off for second half. Bake sourdough bread.

I don't get the point of cast iron dutch ovens unless your cooking over a fire. The pot doesn't need to be great at conducting when it itself is in a fucking oven. Cast iron pans obviously are good because heat only comes from one direction when you're cooking on a stove, but dutch ovens go in the oven, which heat is literally all around it.

coq au vin
o
q

a
u

v
i
n

>the oven, which heat is literally all around it

no

>How do I make perfecy beans?

1) Make homemade pork or chicken stock.
2) Soak beans overnight
3) Drain beans, put in pot. Add aromatic vegetables, some kind of smoked or cured pork product (country ham, neckbone, hock, bacon, ham bone, etc.) Pour in your stock. Bring to a boil, lower to simmer and cook until the beans are tender.

Bonus point for using really good beans. I highly recommend the "sea island red peas" from Anson Mills.

should be where*, not which. goofed that up

>The pot doesn't need to be great at conducting when it itself is in a fucking oven

Most ovens heat a lot less evenly than you might think. If you have an old-school brick oven that's not a problem, but modern household ovens are terrible for heating evenly.

The bare cast iron type has another advantage: it absorbs radiant heat from the oven really really well due to it's black color. That will produce even better even heating than an enameled one or a shiny pot.

>Alton Brown told me to.

Maybe rewatch the episode in question?

stick stuff in it after putting browned meat in it and stick it in the oven. Add liquid so you don't burn your ass. (insert broth)

Bake bread in it that's what I do with mine. Perfect loafs each time.

Make some Goulash.

da fuq are perfecy beans?

Does the ceramic normally scratch off dutch ovens? I'm only using wooden spoons...

I make the best bolognese in it. Anything you can brown and then deglaze is always the best. Make sure you wash and dry those pots fast. They can rust.

Not in my experience, how old is it?

you mean the enamel? Just dont be too rough with it. You are better off not putting it in the dishwasher although itll prolly be fine. Using woodens spoons is not a bad idea.

BREAD.
BRRRREEEEEAAAAAAAAD.
www.simplysogood.com/2013/03/artisan-no-knead-bread.html

Listen to this guy, he's not lying. Best bread ever...

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

Perfect every time.

Just don't soak your iron enamelled pots for any time at all. Wash them and dry them. You'll be fine.

That's a good start. My favorite youtuber (likethehat) got all his alton brown episodes taken down, or at least the ones I was interested in. Where can I watch his stuff again?

If you got a good one cook literally anything but high heat searing in it and enjoy it being the easiest dish you own to clean

If you bought a shitty one like in your picture have fun when it explodes in a few months

What makes the dutch oven from op's pic a shitty one? How can I pick the good one among all the dutch ovens in the store?

no knead bread.......thank me later

>hunk of iron ever exploding

lol'd heartily.

he's memeing you

also cast iron was literally made to high heat sear so that's two strikes on him

it's enameled genius

only buy staub or le creuset or just don't bother buying an enameled one

Good choice, senpai. Though I'm not sure why there are bell peppers in that goulash.

Nonetheless, a good Austrian goulash with a heap of long grain rice next to the bowl is maximum comfy

I make pretty much everything in my dutch oven. pasta, soups, stews, boiled vegetables,
Also great if you need to make something that's cooked stovetop then transferred to the oven.