Recommendation
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

soo, any good /sfft/ published recently? as in the last five years or so? any new talent in the sea of mediocrity?

Give me good fantasy series to read. I'm almost ending Mistborn.

Something Medieval this time around

Malazan books of the fallen.
If you want military fantasy.
Book 1 is kinda confusing but it gets a lot better with the second.

Black Company

I claim this thread in the name of the No-God. May he blind the gods and save us all from damnation.

Also 32 Days until the Great Ordeal. Get Hyped

Tell me the pros and cons of Terry Pratchett. I have a friend who's been meaning to get me into em. But I don't know where to start, or if he's as overhyped as he seems.

One thing, as a cook, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of cooking in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards our talents and unwillingness. It's terrible psychological horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like to other people forever. Fucking up a single recipe will doom you. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, risky and dehumanizing labor we have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeleleledod well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of being rejected and lack of satisfaction with my occupation, that men's desires for delighting their palate in the past, or just their mindless hungers in the present, override our own free will and emotions towards them, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish cooks weren't constantly written as "Guys! Wearing white suits and tall italian hats! That make food!", and not facing the grimey slimey disturbing bullshit we have to prepare into appetizing meals. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable after shock and sobbing of it after recieving snarky comments for overcooking a steak, and for some people, in fact, for many people, it doesn't wear off. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the lack of choice involved.

This is why nobody wants to date you.

I would pay to see some fantasy parody focusing around cooking in a world with all sorts of magic and creatures and shit.

Theres a manga about that, but I forget the name

What? Are you autistic or something?

dungeon meshi?

>dungeon meshi
yea thats it, thanks

I'm referencing the classic that fucked up an entire thread.

I'm trying to point out that it was retarded for anybody to even respond to a post as silly as mine/the poster's, let alone start an entire flamewar over it.

It was just something I wanted to discuss before people took it as an insult or some shit. I don't know how it isn't a criticism of merit that most genre fiction writers handle the complexity of being a woman rather poorly.

It didnt fuck up anything, just idiots who want to act territorial over a SFF thread of all things. Nothing about it held up any other kinds of discussion, people could've easily just ignored it.

Are you referring to my comparison between how food and pregnancies are used very little in SFF.

If yes:
>What is hyperbole.

Im also very sorry for responding to anyone in that thread and I deeply regret it.

Can we talk about SFF now?

Ah, ok. I didn't see the earlier post.

>Can we talk about SFF now?

As the person responsible for the preggers post, yes, please. Anything but last thread.

I'm going to soon finish all the currently released ASOIAF books (and didn't enjoy them that much). What fantasy authors/books should I have on my radar?

Is in-depth worldbuilding (for fantasy) good or bad?

It seems that everyone who does it is dismissed as a Tolkien clone

It helps but it is only as good as your skills with telling a story are.

People remember Tolkein most for his characters and the story he told, which arose from his worldbuilding. The worldbuilding is just a means to an end.

You've got to be careful you don't fall into the Sanderson trap of focusing so much on the setting your characters are completely devoid of personality.

>Sanderson
>Not Jordan

>Sanderson
>Jordan
What's the difference?

One isn't kill

Bakker
Erikson
Cook

Too bad.
He wouldn't be missed.

Is there any SF based on current/near-future NASA and SpaceX stuff, other than the fucking Martian? Seems like all space exploration fic is set way off in the future with FtL drives.

No, any near future space exploration belongs in the high fantasy department. That's why all science fiction is set a bazillion years into the future.

Anyone feel like posting stuff they've written? I'm not a huge fsntasy fan so I'd prefer to read some scifi but I really don't mind.

What was the last book that really grabbed you and you didn't want to put down / looked forward to reading every day?

I've been mostly reading very slow stuff lately so I feel like I kind of need something like this for a change.

The thing itself
Adam roberts

>The road deeper into the outskirts led him to a land where each block was indistinguishable from the rest, even in the morning light. Grey, hollowed blocks battered by shells, wind and rain. Unkempt and forgotten by age and shrinking population. He passed by old, rust-skinned tanks and artillery guns; shells lined the ground as naturally as any pebble - big ones, small ones, many bent and stepped on - and between all of it was bright lines of green, flowers and vines, all was right, and spoke of water.

Snippet from my novella. I'm getting close to finishing so maybe soon I'll hunt around here for beta readers

Thanks for the Idea.

Use pic related when they come again

amazing. Thanks

Go read Dungeon Meshi.
I know get the fuck back to /a/ but really go read it.

>only 24 chapters out
>only one chapter PER FUCKING MONTH comes out
I don't know how people can handle this

>Being so assmad about people liking Trump that you make a strawman photoshop
How do you even survive outside of your basement?

By not reading unfinished manga in the first place desu

Found the Trump voter lol

I've read that WoT gets bad after the fourth book. Are the first four books a complete story, or do they leave too much open?

Just read something good instead m8

I really need to Ringworld over the summer.

I'm not even American you dingus.

Yeah just post it here man. Ignore the hate, if just one or two people read it and give comments it's mission success.

>photoshop
It was gimp, and if you read the post i quoted it was some funny imagery when described so I made it.

Even more pathetic, honestly.

Trump has so many overseas supporters it's insane. The man's a legend.

>what is Finland

you're the pathetic non-Finn, honestly

So I'm pathetic because you are triggered by Trump and are paranoid that anyone who disagrees with you or laugh at you is a Trump voter? Okay. I wasn't even the one to bring him up.

can we talk about /sff/ approved vidya?

been playing this recently, having a fucking blast. it's not small-scale like Starship troopers, more Dune/Foundation larger scale. Those are dreadful comparisons but woe be me the day I compare something to a book I've not read.

Anyone else?

No you're pathetic for actually falling for his bullshit when he can't even decide if he wants to reprimand GW Bush for the Iraq War and ever getting involved in Gulf War Pt. 2, or bombing the shit out of them and appealing to the same xenophobic idiots that make up the Republican base.

He apeals to both the Alt Right and the uneducated baby boomer right. None of which you're apart of. Aside many other things you should have realized he's full of shit on, yeah you are kind of pathetic and stupid. Honestly. It's Donald Trump. The Apprentice was a terrible show, 50%ish on Rotten Tomatoes, 5.4 on IMDB.

>Stellaris
>SWEDEN YES: The Game
You should play Distant Worlds instead.

I literally g-modded my enemies into my slaves in one game, before uplifting some other species into my warriors

>xenophobic
So basically you're a spic or someone with mad white guilt?

>this thread
Shoo, shoo American politics

Nope. I'm just not stupid enough to vote for trump and can see what's marketing, what's bullshit, and what can be accomplished. That part is marketing.

Most of the things he won't follow through on. If he's president it's going to be a lot of him screaming, a lot of congress not moving, a lot of him screaming, a lot of him screaming, a lot of /pol/ people screaming to his defense nothing he said he'd accomplished is being accomplished, really a lot of just screaming "CALM DOWN EVERYTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN".

Be a disaster, next four elections would be people you'd dislike now. Fuck, you'd probably be voting for them.

I wasn't referring to Alien genocide or slavery, it's obviously politically correct since they are xenos. Paradox removed a mod that made the humans white instead of dindus and azns. While letting the dindu and azn only mods remain.

I recently got a 1943 edition of the first political philosophy/geopolitics of Croatia.
When I finish Return to the Whorl I'll jump straight into it.

I'd vote for Bernie over Trump. But never Hilary, fucking NEVER for that whore.

I mean, get a thread already you guys. The top half of is basically gibberish to anyone not involved in American politics.

Hey can you speak the English language? I haven't a clue what you're fucking saying, honestly I can't. This is the english language and literature board. You can finish whole words.

Voting to begin with lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll

On a galactic scale, skin colour is irrelevant.

Anyway, ever read Forever War? We'll all be mixed race in 200 years

Did I go to /pol/ by mistake?

Jesus Christ can we not talk about this shit? Keep it book related

Okay, the mod that removes niggers was removed and the mod that removed whites was not. There, clear enough?

Yeah lol. You're a repulsive person, it is fairly clear. :v)

Maybe it was a fairly abstract joke?

>We'll all be mixed race in 200 years
>This is what libcucks actually believe
Racemixing isn't as prominent as you think, with the current trend whites will become extinct.

The funny thing is conservative authors of the early 20th century were specifically against racism and eugenics (Belloc and Chesterton) while the progressive ideas, which still exist especially in abortion were the most progressive (Shaw and Wells). It's ironic that the supposed conservatives would take the ideas of the most degenerate cucks and not those of men who were essentially intellectual ideals.

Stop projecting.
The situation was entirely different back then. Whites had yet to begin their collective suicide.

>with the current trend whites will become extinct.
i dont think anyone will miss you

If you don't vote you have no right to complain about the leadership.

he's not wrong. come 300 years the entire human race will look brazilian

Go back to your fucking containment board. Or tell me the last /sff/ book you read, your thoughts on it, and what enjoyed most and least about it. Or just what you're planning to read next, I don't mind.

Brazillians have qts so its all good to me

>Implying I'm white
I do think you will miss the whites though.

Oh I will either way.

imagine a world where you fucking people stopped posting

I love that world

>everyone brown
>no racism
>manifest destiny as a glorious milk chocolate race amount the stars

Meh sounds ok

You will not be there and you won't spawn any progeny.

Thread's gone to shit again

says you

Yup.

Anyone want to recommend me some Wells? I've read WotW and Moreue but no sure where to go next. Is The Shape of Things to Come a good read? Looks pretty weight.

The situation hasn't changed at all, since the very idea of a race is a progressive one.
Conservative authors straight out deny the existence of a race.
I highly recommend Heretics by G. K. Chesterton.
For anons who are mad at the non sff nature of this, I'll just say that Chesterton and Wells are important sff writers, who obviously wrote novels about their political and religious views.

The Sea Raiders is pretty neat, it's almost a proto-Lovecraft story with killer squiddos. Haven't read Shape I'm afraid.

>everyone brown
You're pathetic if you think that's how it's going to be. The white elite who survived the fall of the west together with slavs and han Chinese will spread throughout the galaxy while the niggers, backwards sandniggers and mulattos wage war against each in the ruins on Earth. White libcucks will lie in shallow mass graves of their own making.

Maybe the future ain't so bad but I'd rather not see my western friends commit demographic suicide.

Read Napoleon of Notting Hill and Man Who was Thursday instead.
Chesterton is a god compared to Wells novel wise. He's a brilliant stylist and the only surreal, dystopian writer who is also cheerful throughout the whole novel. He's confusing, but incredibly engaging and memorable.

Your nu-male attitude says it all.

pls

The entire Country of the Blind short stories collection is fantastic. Wells wasn't amazing at writing, but God he had the ideas nailed.

>The white elite

Oh you mean internet neets who have put such a priority on their intelligence they refuse to believe they might actually have low IQs statistically.

I'm sure people like you will be ruling us all lol.

>skin colour
This meme needs to die, there's much more to race than just skin pigmentation.

I'm not a part of the white elite you moron. The aristocrats who are currently pushing for heavy migration will survive for a much longer time than the classes directly affected by it.
>I'm sure people like you will be ruling us all lol.
You are already ruled by the elite. You really are stupid aren't you. Either that or you can't help but to project your narcissism since it's such a large part of you that you can't imagine other people not being like you.

>thinking a white elite exists that's not leashed by Jews

oh, padawan

REPORT ALL POST THAT HAVE A HINT OF POL

Time for Mod Clean Up

So we should start with right?

true, but everything would be boring as shit too. who wants to live in a world where everyone looks mostly the same? a world with no cultural diversity?