Just learned about HeLa cells online today. I've seen various figures on how many cells have been produced over time...

Just learned about HeLa cells online today. I've seen various figures on how many cells have been produced over time, and regardless of what that number really is, I'm just curious where all the matter for these cells come from. It seems crazy enough that cells could reproduce indefinitely, let alone where all the material comes from. I mean, if they are just simply dividing, wouldn't they get too small to be functional? Note that I only have rudimentary knowledge on biology.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-proteinogenic_amino_acids
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Matter comes from the soil and the atmosphere, energy comes from the sun or geothermal vents

wtf. they take nutrients from their surroundings.

Other cells

The hell are those tendrils?

well I mean if the cells are just in a dish on their own.
I know researchers introduce other cells for testing in isolated samples, but do they have to constantly introduce biological matter in every sample to keep them going?

Yes. They culture the cells on media which contain an abundance of necessary "food."

The jelly shit that the dish is half full of is bacteria food

ah. okay. Thank you! I mean, that makes perfect sense It just wasn't clear whenever a video/article talked about them. They just said, "Hey these reproduce indefinitely," and then go on to talk about the ethical issues surrounding the cells. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't something impossible becoming possible...

Reproduce indefinitely just means that you can keep the population alive for as long as you supply an environment they can live in and food

humans have so far reproduced indefinitely

Ah I see.

And good point.

Would be cool to grow a fleshlight with them.

>Science & Math

filopodia

>growing a sex toy from cervical cancer cells from Henrietta Lacks

Would it be possible to clone a biological copy of Helen from the HeLa DNA? Or all thay we would get is nothing but more tumor cells?

Closest these virgins will ever get to female reproductive organs.

the genomes of cancer cells are fucked up beyond belief, user

No

Whoever she was is long gone.

The longer you culture a cell line the more mutated it becomes.

Used to work in a cancer research lab attached to a cancer treatment facility. For a lot of studies we did we would use patient tumors removed in surgery, collect malignant cells and grow them in tissue culture then use them for experiments. Still fucking creepy we could do that.

Sounds like that would be some Akira type monster. Let's do it

Mutations from seven different dudes prostate cancers

you store them in media that contains nutrients for a cell

A random poor black lady with cervical cancer

the cells are oncogenic

to get a full multicellular organism you have to start with a single cell

that single cell is already oncogenic, it will already start dividing rapidly, you won't even get close to the embryonic stage

You're a fucking retard

Hela cells are evolving and even invade other cell lines and take over there cultures.

I think we should genetically engineer it to photosynthesize and use more amino acids so it can evolve and take over the world.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-proteinogenic_amino_acids

The reproduce indefinitely, and then there's hella cells.

Ok ,I fucked that one up.

They reproduce indefinitely, and then there's HeLa cells.

>It seems crazy enough that cells could reproduce indefinitely, let alone where all the material comes from.
The average Veeky Forums poster right here gentlemen.