Are emotional people capable of being great scientists?

Are emotional people capable of being great scientists?

I tear up during sad movies and moving music can also have the same effect. Is this openness of emotion counter productive to the rational thought needed to excel in maths and science?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
io9.gizmodo.com/5876304/10-scientific-and-technological-visionaries-who-experimented-with-drugs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.

Stop trying to find reasons to quit before you really try.

>openness of emotion counter productive to the rational thought needed to excel in maths and science?

I fucking hate popsci

I actually performed much better than I ever expected to and landed an undergrad position in my top choice school. Still I keep expecting there to be a fluke down the line that exposes me as trying too hard to be something I'm not.

It's not entirely untrue. Emotionless people are more likely to think more cold and logically.
That doesn't mean emotional people can't be good in a field. They are however, much less likely to pick fields that don't agree with fee fees.

you're unapt to be a scientist, but that's only because you're a retard

> Emotionless people are more likely to think more cold and logically.
The flipside is that emotionless people generally lack the drive and passion necessary to achieve anything

This.

Having passion and ambition in your field will bring you further than just being an autist with a high IQ.

If the passion makes you work hard at it, you won't have a problem. If you dont understand something at first work at it until you do.

Most people are shit at math / physics and chemistry because they never dedicate the time to practise is it.

Talent is overrated. Work ethics, passion and ambition are underrated.

To reiterate what you are saying, there's nothing wrong with showing emotion. Emotion is the driving force behind passion. With that said, there is a big difference between someone who is merely in touch with their emotions, and someone who lets their amygdala drive the truck 24/7.

Now that you've expressed your hatred for popsci, you have adequately demonstrated that you are not an undergraduate brainlet redditor that watches vsauce videos unironically. Please check your inbox for the Veeky Forums elite club acceptance letter. We're looking forward to you joining our ranks.

>Are emotional people capable of being great scientists?

Only if they are ready to be wrong a whole lot.

>I actually performed much better than I ever expected to and landed an undergrad position in my top choice school. Still I keep expecting there to be a fluke down the line that exposes me as trying too hard to be something I'm not.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

If you believe Richard Feynman, he almost switched classes in College to be with a hot girl, and this later came to bite him in the ass, as he learned the "wrong" language for a conference he eventually attended. When he got to the conference, he then wrote his paper in the native tongue. Sounds reasonably right? You go to Brazil and you expect them to be doing their science in their tongue (Portuguese)? Turns out that not only did he not ask anyone, the two fucks who were editing didn't noticed him burning out time on the Portuguese paper, ended up speaking third at the conference, only to realize 5 minutes beforehand they wrote English for their papers. Pic related, he was a damn moron. He also took drugs a bunch of times, and intentionally put himself into salt baths to hallucinate.

It's better said that people who are intelligent and highly organized are shunned and belittled by normies, and have no outlet. The usual outlet is introverted tasks, and in more famous cases, drugs: io9.gizmodo.com/5876304/10-scientific-and-technological-visionaries-who-experimented-with-drugs

The problem with science is it inherently requires people misbehaving, but misbehavers are inherently punished for existing in a culture. When you have intelligent people that are free to exhibit emotionality, it's great.

pic related

I've been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, ptsd and borderline traits.
I only get emotional when people say they can reject science and reason, and do whatever they want to whomever they want, declaring there are zero consequences.
Oddly most of the people that do that profess to be superior to others because their form of reasoning [ie; using fallacies] and being confident about it [carelessly arrogant and abusive] proves their grandiose view of themselves and their condescending views of others as being accurate.

I used to laugh it off. Then bad things got worse.
There's a point where any person of conscience with self awareness feels something about all of it.

People with C-PTSD are often people trapped in relationships with irrational people, and such abuse can make them feel desperate to correct the situation... and emotion takes over.

You do get the fact R&M is satirical right?
Rick isn't always a genius and Morty isn't always an idiot; it's a commentary on role-suction, expectation and presumption.
The whole show relies on those three concepts being wrong in every single episode.
It's specifically commentary of the Problem of Induction, flawed heuristic thinking and human egotism.

Yes
t. L. Boltzmann

Strong emotions are honestly a bigger problem for truck drivers, policemen or politicians, than they are for scientists. A scientist can afford to go out of control from time to time, the others can't.

A scientists greatest emotional challenge is to overcome repeated failure without giving up. Plasma physicians for example, they have failed for decades to build a functional fusion reactor, but they are still trying to.

The emotional high of a new breakthrough is what compels the greatest scientists to forgo the obligations of ordinary life and devote themselves entirely to their research. It motivates some of the greatest minds of our new generation to produce amazing developments in burgeoning fields of science and engineering. Then, after these people are burned out when their passion is expended by vampiric businessmen seeking maximal profit margins, they commit suicide.

So I guess you might do really well as an emotionally-motivated person and then die young and disillusioned, or maybe the best way to live is to be reserved and skeptical while producing an intellectual output at the median level and existing as a walking corpse. At least that way you can be a useful consumer in our economy.

Great point m8.

Nobody really gives a fuck if you cried during Bambi if you can keep your shit together long enough to perform an experiment and collect data. The analysis and presentation of the data thereafter are not particularly high pressure, at least not at the scale where "being emotional" (whatever that means) will affect it.

If a police officer loses his temper or breaks down during his shift, he has a high chance of ending up dead or in prison.

nigga gödel and erdős both literally had nervous breakdowns when someone close to each of them died (gödel's wife and erdős' mother)

'le unfeeling unemotional science ubermensch' is a dumb meme for edgelords

I was-- or thought I was-- a pretty unemotional person until I started making friends towards the end of my first year at community college. I'm finishing my second year now and have come to the conclusion that I would prefer to work 40 hours a week doing something relatively mindless and be able to socialize outside of that, rather than spend the rest of my prime years with my nose in a textbook. I'm stopping at a bachelor's and I don't care what my job prospects will be.

I wouldn't make any broad generalizations about the relationship between emotion and scientific achievement, but for me personally, I know I could never be a "scientist". Higher education takes too much of a personal toll, and I can't even fathom what it's like to be a post-doc with research projects to manage.

You watch too many movies dude.

>police ending up in prison

wew lad

If they get caught doing something blatantly illegal, yes? You think being a cop grants you diplomatic immunity or something?

Don't fall for the Spock meme. If you can't feel a genuine passion for what you're doing you'll end up a fucking lab tech, consultant, or killing yourself.