Hello, Veeky Forums. Well, it's officially Autumn...

Hello, Veeky Forums. Well, it's officially Autumn. Care to share your comfy recipes or foods you're eating for the season?

Enjoying a pumpkin soup, a hearty, warm chili or pot pie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qSI-Ij_gUwg
youtube.com/watch?v=6OGErpe8ahA
allrecipes.com/recipe/219167/chef-johns-pumpkin-pancakes/
youtube.com/watch?v=27mL-oKz0tc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Making a butternut squash soup for the senpai tonight, hope it goes alright:
1 cubed butternut squash + 2 chopped carrots - roasted for 45 mins to 1 hour.
2 sweet red pears - peeled and cubed.
1 diced onion + 2 minced cloves garlic - Softened in a stockpot with some olive oil, curry powder, ginger root and salt/pepper.
Pour in about 1 litre chicken stock and half a cup milk then bring to the boil, add the butternut squash and pears and simmer for around half an hour. Nuke it with a hand blender until smooth, and enjoy.
That's the plan anyway. Apparently you're supposed to serve it with a swirly creamy garnish but I don't have the ingredients, but I'll keep the seeds of the butternut and roast them tomorrow to be used as a garnish for something else.

Bit warm for any of that bruh

Used diced pumpkin along with prosciutto and either sage or thyme in a risotto last year, don't have a recipe as it was what I had on hand at the moment, if you can cook, you'll figure it out. Tasted excellent.

Soup turned out pretty damn nice. Still, would look fancier with the cream though.

Came here looking for a thread like this today. I recently started a thread about soups and stews and a kind user linked me a video

youtu.be/qSI-Ij_gUwg

>Pic related is my attempt

The recipe is linked in the vid description btw

>find list of soups on wikipedia
>end up making beef rassolnik

It's pretty good, the broth was watery and had to be saved with a dash of MSG though. It would be a great cold day soup I bet with the nice hot clear broth

Polenta

Lentil stew

Best pumpkin for pumpkin pie?

1. Fresh pumpkin
2. Canned pumpkin
999999. Canned "pumpkin pie mix"

The fresh pumpkin seems to be smoother and lacks the gummy texture of canned. Also the canned stuff apparently gets steamed in the factories? Whereas at home people generally roast them, which could improve the flavor.

Now I'm reading articles claiming canned pumpkin is better. They all shill pretty hard for Libby's and I'm skeptical. Everyone says they can tell my pies use fresh pumpkin, and I hate pumpkin pie aside from my own. What's your opinion? Seems like most people have never had a pie that uses fresh pumpkin.

You're correct on all counts, fresh pumpkin is GOAT

If you like pumpkin but dislike pumpkin pie these are great.

>autumn
It's fall you fucking retard

Beef and pork cooked for four hours with tomatoes, lentils and chickpeas.

>mashed potatoes, carrots and onions
>with chicken breasts seared in butter and deglazed with creme fraiche
Top nom

Would eat/10

comfy/10

Gonna make some gingerbread tonight. Probably with chocolate chips.

psa trader joes has pumpkin everything right now, even beer

89 fucking degrees? Holy shit!

Recipe?

Cook the polenta to your desire consistence, some people like it more thick and some more liquid
Top it with sauce of your choce, ragú alla bolognese is the best imo.
Add grated parmesano.

Polenta is awesome just use it like it were some pasta, I am surprised it don't recive much love here on Veeky Forums.

>It's pretty good, the broth was watery and had to be saved with a dash of MSG though
Just reduce it for a few more minutes next time.

FRESHLY BLAPPED GROUSE BABY

I've had chicken curry and rice every day this week.

I wish I could go back in time and give myself this recipe. It's so simple, and it would have saved me on those days when I didn't have a lot of money, but needed a good meal.

I'm salivating

Fuck that looks good. Recipe please.

polenta is great, we usually top it with warm milk+melted butter and than with yogurt

youtube.com/watch?v=6OGErpe8ahA

I just roasted a butternut squash for lunch.

Slice in half, add salt and pepper, drizzle maple syrup, cover flesh in soft butter.

So fucking good. And it makes my whole house smell like fall.

And last week I made Jewish apple cake with apples I picked at a local orchard. Have most of it frozen in my freezer now for when I am in need of an emergency Fall treat.

Take a pumpkin. Scoop out the innard.

Do the same with another two pumpkins. Nice big sized pumpkins.

Put them in a contractor's bag. And then put that bag into another contractor's bag.

Put in a pound of dark dark dark brown sugar, several sticks of cinnamon, and a few liters of everclear.

Like a LOT OF EVERCLEAR. The pumpkins should be covered and the sugar dissolved.

Tie up tight, put in a plastic tub. Take the plastic tub, and bury it in the backyard.

next year, you will have the best pumpkin brand you will ever taste. Bar none.

>feels like 104

>drinking leached plastic from a fucking garbage bag

try again with a barrel pleb

I didn't even realize it was Autumn until half the products at Trader Joes was pumpkin-something or other.

Plastic leaching is a MYTH.

Autumn has naught to do with temperature.

pears?? really? i've never used pears in soup.

How much /autumn/ do you think my boeuf bourguignon is?

I'm in my mountain house atm, freezing with under 16 celsius degrees and no fire to burn.

You should try it, parsley and pear soup is delicious, user.

>Anus Valley

Just made gratin de pomme de terres. It was great. I put a bit too much milk, though. Can I do anything with it? It's salted oil, garlic, butter, milk with potato and cheese chunks.

Very nice, user, although curry is winter food for me.

Boeuf bourguignon is more winter than autumn
This is true, too, except japanese curry which is autumnal.

What is most autumnish dish then?

Pumpkin-based dishes like soup or pie, beef stew, dumplings, cheesecake, dishes accompanied by cranberries, like turkey or chicken roasts, japanese curry, hot potato dishes like gratin and stuff with mashed potatoes, mushroom soup.

I also consider oeufs a la creme and pissaladiere to be automnal but some would consider them to be hibernal and estival, respectively.

Its the mid 90's here and going to be all week. Im enjoying summer still.

Bbq and fresh fruit and idk whatever says summer.

Why fo pumpkins say autumn?

Autumn-autismn, makes you think.

Agreed, especially on pumpkins, gonna make pumpkin soup tomorrow.

Tea goes well with autumn. A butter cookie goes well with tea. I make pic related every autumn. I like them most with sesame seeds, though poppy seeds are good as well. Recently I started putting a small salt crystal in each cookie, the taste is much more interesting this way, but perhaps not most fitting with tea.

It's a principle that applies on many scales. For example, you'll notice that in the france midi, the colors and patterns are much different than in the north. Likewise, the dishes tend to have a lot more flavor contrast. The same is true when you compare spanish dishes to nordic dishes.
That is to say, humans seem to work very well with analogies and independently agree, without cultural inclinations (or so I posit), on similitude even across sense barriers.
In other words, pumpkin say autumns because that's what your brain is saying.

Next fucking year?!?

You would find me passed out,half naked, covered in pumpkin smelling vomit surrounded by tore up pieces of pumpkin the night of.

But you still have the pumpkins from last year

>Its the mid 90's here and going to be all week.

Then you have to go back to this 2010s apocalypse after the week's done?

Pumpkin pancakes are tasty desu.

allrecipes.com/recipe/219167/chef-johns-pumpkin-pancakes/

I made Chef John's chicken noodle soup today. It turned out great; easily the best I've ever made. I'll definitely be trying more of his recipes.

>tfw no gf to enjoy fall with.

Fall is just starting, only you can fix your hikkimori ways!

Spiced pumpkin parfait i made a few days ago.

Going to make pumpkin pancakes later this week.

oops

Looks good, senpai.

Zuurvlees.

>literally boiling rain
Yikes

>jewish apple cake
Didn't know desserts could be kikes.

>literally
No.

Depends on what altitude. Water boils at ~93 degrees at 2,000 metres altitude.

So
Fucking
What
?

Then it could be literally.

>ctrl+f
>chicken a
>'could not find text "chicken a"'
Chicken and dumplings.

It was 56° here this morning. Perfect chicken and dumpling weather, though I have leftovers of other things to eat before I can consider making some.

I think I will make soup. Butternut is good but does anyone have a recipe for something sweet potato based?

I have a bunch of sweet potatoes and I'm gonna make pie from them. I've never made one before.

what the fuck cuts of chicken is she using?

ooh. Post pictures when you do!

youtube.com/watch?v=27mL-oKz0tc
Here is mine

Well the name actually came along after the cake was well established in PA Dutch country. The name "Jewish" Apple Cake became popularized in the mid 20th century, probably because it became popular with Jewish immigrants since the original recipe does not call for animal fat, and thus it was kosher.

I make mine with butter instead of veggie oil, however. I try to avoid veggie oil wherever possible.

It's just called "apple cake" by PA Dutch Amish or central PA natives (and surrounding areas of MD, OH, NY)

Can confirm. Pumpkin risotto is God tier

>roast diced pumpkin with olive oil, salt and thyme in 180 C oven for 30 min.
>Let cool
>make basic risotto
>add pumpkin to risotto for the last 5 min.
>butter, parmezan
>season with nutmeg

It depends on the kind of pumpkin. If you get a carving pumpkin its going to taste like shit and I would use canned over it any day. Something like a sugar pumpkin though will taste amazing.

Halved acorn squash with seeds scooped out (reserve seeds for roasting with sea salt/red pepper flakes), packed with butter and brown sugar, and roasted til tender.

Add a few cherries, apple slices, orange/lemon zest. Go wild.

Hard to go wrong.

I enjoy doing that. I also like to go an extra step and add the squash to a food processor and use that as spaghetti sauce.