What's the best text book for relearning pre calculus over the summer...

What's the best text book for relearning pre calculus over the summer? The education system in canada is fucked and and has skipped over a lot of shit including geometry that I need to relearn.

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/

stewart. dont do serge lang cuz its an old meme.

>I am not OP
>OP clearly indicates a desire to master precalcluus
>it's the biggest word in his graphic
>someone else promptly recommends a calculus text

>someone else is about to try to wriggle out of their stupidity by No True Scotsmanning' that Stewart is shit, not a real calculus book etc, which would both be factually false in one sense, but more importantly it sidesteps the issue because the other user doesn't want to be called out for giving a stupid/incorrect answer

Simmons' Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell: Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry
Lang's Basic Mathematics

If you need to learn how to thinking about math the right way:
Algebra by Gelfand and Shen
Functions and Graphs by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Shnol
The Method of Coordinates by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Kirillov
Trigonometry by Gelfand and Saul

>>someone else promptly recommends a calculus text

Stewart wrote 3 (nearly identical) pre-calculus books:
Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus
Algebra and Trigonometry
College Algebra

Also Stewart's Calculus is shit if you want to learn anything beyond how to blindly turn the crank to solve problems.

>op asks for precalc
>calculus of variations
k

I was obviously talking about the precalculus text

OP here how good is his precalc text book? is it just the basics or is it good enough to get me on track for advanced calculus classes?

Gilbert Strang has a good book on linear algebra.

Checked

Can someone explain to me the value of Pre-Calc? In high-school I went straight to AP AB, my school didn't even offer it, only honors Calc. I ended up reading Calcukus: An intuitive and physical approach, and learned all of basic Calc from that and later Spivok.

>What's the best text book for relearning pre calculus over the summer?
I imagine there all about the same, but the book by Cohen has a thorough solutions manual if you can find out. Or at least the version I used way back when did.

>Morris Kline
ayy reading that right now .. I'm 21 .. I fucked my life but it's a good book

Pre-calculus = Algebra beyond the quadratic equation + Trigonometry + exponentials and logarithms

In college, it's meant to fill in any holes before starting calculus. Although you do occasionally run into students that did just well enough to place out of it and end up asking in junior year Mechanics/Quantum courses "what is i?" and then say they've never seen complex numbers before.

>American education

>Pre-calculus = Algebra beyond the quadratic equation + Trigonometry + exponentials and logarithms
+ Analytic geometry

The state of Canadian education actually disgusts me. there's so much shit I haven't even learned about and next year in HS i'm taking calculus. For example I didn't even know what hyperbolas, vector spaces, complex numbers and a whole bunch of other things were unlit a few days ago when I was on Khan Academy trying to get help with trig. And the best part is that we have enough class time to learn all of the things we haven't covered, it's just that the stupid people can't learn without 40 mins of the teachers help after the lesson. And now I've gotta take my own time out of summer to learn things i should have been taught already. The state of education is a fucking mess and it needs to be fixed.

I may have learned calc 3 years younger than you, but I'm 5 years older and haven't done shit since, so fuck your hyperbole and BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE, user. GODSPEED.

You're lucky you got your education before it was completely gutted to make room for the tards.

my guardian angel; that's just what I needed

Godspeed user

>The state of education is a fucking mess and it needs to be fixed

Anytime you try, people will scream bloody murder and prevent it. The only "fixes" to education that will happen are "fixes" that remove stuff and retard the pace further.

Understanding Algebra by James W. Brennan
Elementary College Geometry by Henry Africk
College Algebra by Carl Stitz, & Jeff Zeager
Advanced Algebra II Conceptual Explanations by Kenny M. Felder
Trigonometry by Michael Corral
Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach by H. Jerome Keisler

I don't know if this counts, but these books are beautifully written, and they are all available online for free

>learning math sequentially.
Jumping around is sometimes more beneficial.

As someone who actually had to teach themselves math up to calc I, here's how I did it:

I wanted to be an engineer but I was taking a remedial algebra class as a senior, so I downloaded a free trig book. I did about half of it since it was only like 100 pages. I tried studying a precalc book after but it was like 500 pages and felt overwhelming. So one day I watched a video on limits, and said "fuck it"; I started studying calculus without the precalc background. Wherever I got stuck, I either asked someone for help, or I tried looking it up (usually simple trig bullshit). Anyway, by the end of my senior year I knew the calc I material and was able to transition into community college without ever even taking a precalc class. Everything I needed from precalc, I learned along the way.

It can be applied to other classes. Doing statics? Some of this class is review from mechanics, so you can just just rush through only doing a few guided examples until you get to the further chapters with the harder material. The further chapters contain a ton of review from the earlier chapters, so you're not actually missing out on any practice. You can can get through half of a statics textbook in two weeks by working intelligently. Works with some other classes too.

this guy is right
I think it's just better to jump into a thorough and clear calculus textbook

it will go over all of the precalc you need by default otherwise google it

They taught i in algebra II/ Trig. The only thing I had to learn independently was how to long divide polynomials.

>i'm taking calculus. For example I didn't even know what hyperbolas, vector spaces, complex numbers and a whole bunch of other things were unlit a few days ago
You don't need to know what vector spaces are for calculus. You don't need complex numbers either, although it is good to know about them.

That's exactly why I want to learn all of this stuff now and not two years into university. I don't wanna shit myself trying to catch up on things I should have learned 3 years ago.

it's a lot of work but it prepares the reader well for calculus.