/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Dark worlds totally haven't gotten trite yet edition.

Recommendation
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

1st for most fun in a long time

2nd for Brent Weeks and Patrick Rothfuss

Someone leak The Great Ordeal's ebook already/

Thought I'd mention www.isfdb.org as it was quite helpful in classifying SFF books that predate standard identification numbers (SBN, ISBN, etc...).

When is soft Sci-fi bordering on Science Fantasy going to get popular again? All the ultra hard technical SciFi is so dry.

What are some good grimdark fantasies out there? Dark Souls, Berserk type stuff. Well written, with nicely crafted dark suits of armor.

One thing, as a muslim, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of terrorism in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in whether the terrorists would be born poor and what religion they were raised into. It's terrible psychological horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks up the lives of countless forever. It erases your humanity and defeats the point of Islam in the first place. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, demeaning and terrifying labor my brothers in faith have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated personal hatred of conflict instilled by reddit, that men's devotions to their faiths in ways that shouldn't exist in the year 2016, or just their mindless desire for purpose in the present, override our own autonomy and emotions towards others, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you, but just as some pests to blow up with yourself and be done with.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish terrorists weren't constantly written as "Brown people! That kill iin the name of Allah!", and not facing the grimey slimey disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how they're forced into believing its acceptable to take your own life among that of a couple more people in a flaming hot blast, that for some people, and for many people, emotionally wears off. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the lack of education involved.

Any good books with a little girl as protag?

Dinosaur user here. Is there some tumblgay user here? They were getting antsy because of the GRI APPROVED meme.

Someone post the dark souls, berserk meme pic.

A month or so ago there was a discussion why the /SFF/ general had no memes.
Seems like that changed.

>3, 2, 1

Your post was autistic as fuck and now people are going to meme it into the ground. This is Veeky Forums; It's only to be expected.

>Your post was autistic as fuck
Whatever you feel like senpai.
But this is the SFF general what do you expect?

Yeah I agree, I was happy as a bird when I was reading that trilogy, really great.

>one thing, as an X, that bothers me copypasta

>using as a instead of as as a

/sffg/'s autism has successfully coalesced into its first memes. Who knows what the future holds for our shitposting?

It's funny because I have the opposite problem, current science fiction isn't hard enough for me.

You must be as disgruntled as a spook

I've seen it, but I was wondering if there's visceral dark fantasy that I might have missed. I'd just like to see how well the aesthetic translates to text (though it seems to work better in visual mesia).

And not to sound like an ass, other than my tripfaggotry, but I probably know more about fantasy literature than 99% of the people here (which isn't even saying much). Which is why I'm almost sure a textual Berserk equivalent doesn't exist yet.

>but I probably know more about fantasy literature than 99% of the people here (which isn't even saying much)

You haven't seen anything until you've worked as a academic librarian, you wouldn't believe how many requests we receive asking for information on "How armies fought battlefield" and then every fucking time we've got to explain that they rarely fought head-to-head and most battles consisted of hiding in a castle until they ran out of food.

Thanks, Hollywood.

>and most battles consisted of hiding in a castle until they ran out of food.

That's a siege user.

But I get your point.

is there something wrong with saying
>i was x as a y

Does this trigger librarians a lot?
I should check into my uni's library

but sieges were the best part

Saying "I was happy as a bird" would mean that user was happy when he was a bird. Saying "I was as happy as a bird" means that user felt the same happiness a bird would experience.

Remember when the first sffg threads we had actually adult conversations about fantasy?

Now it's all shitposting. How are the newfags that are ruining our general?

These threads are moving too fast now desu, I should get back to reading

This triggers everybody in the history department, If given the choice like 80% of a freshers choose the most pop-history shit ever like military/warfare and medicine.

>Remember when the first sffg threads we had actually adult conversations about fantasy?

No. When was that?

How can you know he wasn't a bird at some time?

I mean that's what happens when years pass and no good books come out.

Welcome to summer.

Occam's razor

#BirdLivesMatter

r u dumb?

>You haven't seen anything until you've worked as a academic librarian
Would user happen to be versed in the arcane world of bibliographic data? Specifically the form, usage, and retrieval of MARC records?

Well battles between two armies outside of fortifications did and do still happen. You sound pretty buttblasted user.

It must be really frustrating to all you real historians that delegitimizing military history in academic circles didn't change what actual people care about.

>Well battles between two armies outside of fortifications did
No, no they didn't, why do you think the battle of Hastings is a literal historic goldmine?

Because it changed the course of British history and is a defining battle of a turning point in history.

There are plenty of examples of two armies meeting in open conflict.

>Science Fantasy
I want this weird subgenre to die. Hard/mid sci fi is what science fiction was intended to be

Soft Scifi / Science Fantasy is the best SF though.

t. George Lucas

>/sffg/ is a bunch of normies that go out on the weekend

No wonder this place is so garbage lately.

So, is Sabriel good? I know it's on the Fantasy Selected Favorites chart, but so is The Lies of Locke Lamora, and I found that to be one of the worst books I've ever read. Plus Sabriel is YA.

Would someone who hated The Lies of Locke Lamora, The Wheel of Time, and The Prince of Nothing potentially like Sabriel? If not, do you have any recommendations?

It's YA done well. That's really it, whether that's for you or not you have to decide.

Also maybe fantasy isn't for you. What DID you like?

Selected sf is great and selected fantasy is a fucking mine field.
But it is old enough and doesn't have a photoshop cover and doesn't appear on the best fantasy lists so the chance of it being garbage is lower.

>Also maybe fantasy isn't for you. What DID you like?
The Wizard Knight, The Lord of the Rings, and Lud-in-the-Mist.
Thanks
I actually made the selected sf chart, glad you like it.

Read Lions of Al Rassan then.

We definitely need a better fantasy chart. I personally didn't read enough to make one, or at least with diverse authors.

Is there any great Chinese or Japanese fantasy that isn't weeb YA shit.

Berserk

I'm the guy who made the chart and I don't like Locke Lamora either heh. I just made it because at the time a lot of people were asking for one

Now that I read a bit more I might edit it a bit - I don't like several picks on it / think there's better.

I'd say the Abhorsen series is pretty good as far as YA fantasy goes. Good enough to stand as regular fantasy at least.

I was thinking of making a chart of non-medieval fantasy books, do you anons have any picks in mind?

And when I say non-medieval, I mean it can still be a non europe-medieval setting, but anything goes, really: victorian, western, asian, middle eastern, idian, etc.

Pic related was pretty nice, I read it in spanish so I have no idea if the translation is any good, but if you want to see a fantasy version of the american conquest you cant go wrong with this one.

Sounds boring. Someone should make a non-space non-tropey SciFi chart instead (stuff like Never Let Me Go, I guess, but maybe a bit more SF).

Are you talking about Chinese/Japanese books BY Japanese/Chinese authors? Or simply fantasy books that take place in China/Japan?

Both work.

Is it better than Under Heaven? I read that one and didn't dislike it, but didn't love it either.
Yeah I remember those threads and the people begging for a selected fantasy chart. Yours is better than the one I made, which had a lot of stuff like Orlando Furioso and Pedro Paramo which wouldn't have been helpful suggestions for people in these threads at all. I wish you luck in updating it, if you choose to.
Thanks.

Keep in mind, fantasy plebs infest these threads much more than sf ones. I've also had bad experiences with the chart counting on things such as Wizard Knight and Gormenghast as a pointer to quality of other works, which certainly has not been the case.
We need a new one, with certified works of certain quality.

>It erases your humanity and defeats the point of Islam in the first place.
The point of Islam is to convert everyone to it.
Terrorism is just a means to an end.

The Prophet Muhammad spent years planning terrorist attacks on caravans heading towards Mecca.

SF is a bit more complicated, since non-space stuff tend to fall in other subgenres like cyberpunk or dystopian

Black Wolves, Lotus War, The Grace of Kings, The Long Prince Quartet.

That would be cool.

I think it's a great idea.

Lions is his best work imo. Under Heaven I'd say wouldn't even break the top 5. Read Lions and if you like that, check out some more of his stuff. If you don't I guess you can drop the author.

Actually until the Russians started supporting the Arabs, "Islamic terrorism" as we know it was relatively unknown in the world.

Just look at how the Russian government is providing free airline tickets to Syrian refugees, who then get loaded onto buses and are dropped off at the Finnish, Norwegian, Polish, etc borders.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

What's some arab/persian fantasy that's very heavy on the fantasy side?

I do like to mix some pleb stuff in-between heavy reads honestly, but some of the pleb stuff on it isn't even good as a relaxing read, so yeah. Locke Lamora just annoyed me with it's attempt at trying to force witty dialogue in every scene and the writing just didn't appeal to me in general. I'll take them off slowly as I read more.

I'll recommend The Buried Giant to you - short stand alone book and 'literary' fantasy. I really like Ishiguros prose, it manages to be very simple without feeling plain.

I guess you are the user from the last thread who mentioned The Orphan's Tales, The Golem And The Jinni, Alif The Unseen, and Throne Of The Crescent Moon

can you vouch for any of these? for the chart

same to you, if you had to pick one of the books you mentioned, which one it would be?

Glen Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night series heavily borrows from the crusader period.

>if you had to pick one of the books you mentioned, which one it would be?

Probably Black Wolves. Though the series is unfinished.

Grace of Kings is probably the least of the ones I mentioned.

I think that recommendations should have a short description, just a cover or a name isn't too interesting.

cover grabs attention > google name > whoopdedoo

But most covers are shit, and no one is going to search for everything. The point of a recommendation chart is convincing you.

literally every other board has a higher standard for their recc list

Orphans Tales is already on the chart I think. The Golem and the Jinni isn't but absolutely should be, but since there are jewish protagonists you're going to get major opposition

Alif the unseen and Throne of the crescent moon probably don't belong there even though I did enjoy them.

Then go start your own board, you simpering ingrate.

lol yea i should be so grateful for a shitty list you threw together with MSPaint on books you didnt even read

If you want it, make it. Pretty simple. It takes a lot more work to do for minimal benefit.

No, a recommendation list is to recommend you books. It is up to you to look them up and see if they interest you.

And what kind of idiot judges a book based on its cover? Are you retarded, the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" exists for a reason.

>I do like to mix some pleb stuff in-between heavy reads honestly, but some of the pleb stuff on it isn't even good as a relaxing read, so yeah.
There's plenty of good easy reads, I mean that's what pulp was all about.
>I'll recommend The Buried Giant to you - short stand alone book and 'literary' fantasy. I really like Ishiguros prose, it manages to be very simple without feeling plain.
Thanks. Although I won't be reading much fantasy in the upcoming months, there is plenty of backlog at the moment. I tend to delve into few authors as opposed to reading a lot of different ones.

>And what kind of idiot judges a book based on its cover? Are you retarded, the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" exists for a reason.

To be fair, these days you can actually do this and not be worse off, especially with SFF

What I'm trying to say is that a cover or a name says nothing to you. Having a brief description makes much more sense with the purpose of the chart, as no one is going to search for literally every item on the chart to decide. With no description you basically have to judge the books by their cover.

If I judged books on their covers I'd have saved myself some torture.

No you can't and if you believe this to be true you are an idiot.

It is up to you to google the books, goodreads exists for this very purpose. It takes two seconds to type the name of a book into goodreads and read the description.

Stop being lazy, if it bothers you so much re-do the recommendations list and add descriptions.
For most of us taking a few seconds to look a book up isn't an issue.

The books are already narrowed down by being on the freaking chart though. It's like being in a book store and looking for interesting stuff, which you usually do by looking at the cover. Except, instead of having 1000+ books in front of you it's down to about 20 or so, depending on whatever chart you're looking at. Hardly a time investment to google two or three of them that look interesting and deciding which to read.

I mean that's what I do. Don't really know what issue you're having.

I need some good audio book I can listen to while working out. Something simple enough so I can follow it while I feel like I'm dying.

I think Gormenghast is the thing you need here.

What do you think of The Dresden Files?

Bad.

I like it.
Veeky Forums does not.

>No you can't and if you believe this to be true you are an idiot.
says the guy wolfing down shitty books

A description only helps better, but at this stage its probably better to just use the Veeky Forums wiki rather than the charts

Enjoy copying and pasting books blubs from the 500 different wikipedia articles. I look forward to reading your 'chart'.

Gormenghast is a great novel and a horrible recommendation for time killing audiobooks.

Good but the first 3 books are terrible.

>books blubs

*"book blurbs"

If you look at charts from other boards its usually one or two sentences on the basic premise and then the quality of the book. Showing you've actually read it.

I think that's worth more than a bunch of books tossed together by rabble vote with no insight.