Things that pisses you off about the general public

On social media:

> E.g. Some science page on Facebook says that there are plans to mine the moon in an article.

> Middle aged admin assistant from Tennessee: "What if the moon falls out the sky? Why don't scientist think of that, huh?"

> Some smug guy (for some reason usually Indian): "Maybe humans should stop destroying this planet before going mining others"
> Someone points out that no life grows on the moon
> Guy #2 "Excuse me, how do you know there is no life on the moon? I have a degree in forestry management, I am an expert on these matters"

> Walmart cashier: "Huh! Silly humans, caring about rocks in outer space. I'm so enlightened through all the inspirational quotes I share form Mind Unleashed"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IdHTnpgpLDc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Me just being a judgemental cunt but:

> When I see someone with dreadlocks and a bindi claim they "read about quantum physics".

Maybe one day I'll find one who actually knows about QED and not just "LSD and Terence McKenna maaaann..."

Nice blog, something else on your mind?

> Be at aunts house
> Talk about how I'm studying geophysics
> "Why don't you restart your course and do medicine so you can find the cure for cancer"
> ..."sigh"...she means well

Well, why don't you, you selfish prick?

> Implying it's that simple
> Elements and hydrocarbons used in synthesis of drugs and used in medical tracers need to be found in the earth, hence I may well be doing my bit indirectly

>single mother has gossipy friends
>they ask me what ill be doing at uniersity
>"engineering"
>oh.. and what kind of job will you get with that?

I just side step and say business or manufacturing work

>Elements and hydrocarbons used in synthesis of drugs and used in medical tracers need to be found in the earth

Go ahead and tell yourself that

Media sensationalism before peer review has even taken place. Fuck "news" the fucking vultures will do anything for clicks.

Thank you for posting this

There should be some way for FB to block comments from people without 1) degrees 2) degrees not in STEM

>"engineering"
You should lie and say something else, they might try and marry you to their sons otherwise you flaming faggot.

Go ahead and tell me a more efficient way of creating hydrocarbon.

Will the grease in your fedora suffice?

I'm new to Veeky Forums but why do people seem to have a problem with engineers?

because despite all the modern marvels of engineering, they still haven't engineered a way to get themselves to stop sucking cocks all the time.

how scientifical

I mean I get that the clichè engineer is just a mild-mannered, gortex fleece wearer who listens to a lot of safe classic rock, like Boston, but they are surely harmless, aren't they?

medfags will be blown the fuck out so hard, they will never know what hit them

What the fuck. I'm an engineer and you just described my clothing and music preferences perfectly.

yet they engineered the whole educated world to accept and even cherish cocksucking

winners are hated and water is wet

>At work
>There's a hole in the ground
>Someone starts yelling at me because I planted trees 6 months earlier and I must have caused this new hole on the other side of the grounds from my trees
>Other people make up stories about a dog coming at night and digging the hole
>Another person blame iguanas for digging the hole
>I turn almost purple explaining to these idiots with their stupidity, paranoia and shitty theories that IT'S NOT ME, TREES, DOGS OR FUCKING IGUANAS IN THE NIGHT.
>I explain that a fucking pipe from the sprinkler system broke, and the water eroded the hole in the morning before everyone got there.

Here I am using a little observation and thought, seeing broken PVC pipes and an old shitty busted pump in the ground and I'm able to explain what's going. Meanwhile all my co-workers, most of them college educated, can't figure it out.

It was embarrassing. I felt like Sherlock fucking Holmes among the invalid and retarded.

Engineers have jobs. Jobs in their field that pay actual money.

>guy I know who dropped out of high school and sells weight loss shakes in Facebook shares article about why it's possible for laypeople to become astronauts.

>most of them college educated

>work in office, all smart, coming from great universities, >50% has PhD etc
>toilets are never flushed properly, brown stains everywhere

college not means shit

They want to marry off their daughters to you, and are trying to gauge your level of commitment

>t. Engineering student who has had 3 families try to introduce me to their daughters after learning what I was doing

Are there a lot of Indians at your workplace?

I was in an internship at a company with a lot of them, after a month or so I realized they never wash their hands after taking a dump.

I've always been kind of reluctant to shake one's hand since then

People in my halls shit on the seat. I fail to understand how someone can function away from home if they become confused at the sight of a toilet.

nope, it is a yuropean office, 100% white

once I heard a story it is because some guy got butthurt about a cleaning lady he refuses to flush, but don't really believe it

Seriously dude? haha

You do get a lot of engineers like that

Are we really that predictable?

>blocking 93% of the worlds inane babble
Sounds really nice
>99%
Heaven

It takes a special kind of personality to want to sit down at a computer for hours on end generating reports on the environmental impact of installing a cantilevered ceiling.

Ooh, this is still going!

they're gay

"What are you studying user?"
>Geology
"Oh Geography! I did that in high school... It was really easy!!!!
Ignus, metamorphose and sediment rocks!"

I just let it slide now.

More than I can list.

I stopped being rustled by the general public when I shut myself in from it.

you guys realize you can already do this, right? just tap the little x in the top left corner, you fucking idiots

>So, user, what's your major?
>"Engineering"
>Oh, okay.
They then proceed to walk off to go talk for two hours to the relative who's going to law school. I silently creep back to the kitchen to gobble all of the cocks.

Happens every single family event

That's not even the worst kind.

Geotechnical Engineers are the most autistic people of all time. Mention "dirt" instead of "soil" to their face and watch them have a fucking seizure

Tell her you are trying to find a cure for earthquakes.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

user...bruh...

youtube.com/watch?v=IdHTnpgpLDc

What are you studying
>Geology
Oh are you going to work for an oil company?!
>I doubt it
Lot of money in oil, user

Thanks for the tip second cousin once removed. I'll keep that in mind.

hahahah, every time

They always either wander off after that or since I live in California they follow up with the classic, "So when is the big one coming?"

What am I a fucking wizard? The guys working at SAFOD don't have a fucking clue, what do I know. It's coming say your prayers move far away from me.

It only gets worse when they tell me they saw San Andreas, don't get me wrong I loves that movie, laughed so hard my ribs hurt, but realizing that is what the public thinks geology and earthquakes are like...fucking horrifying.

We need to measure magnetic anomaly of this previously unmapped fault. Where should we do it...inside the motherfucking Hoover dam!

holy shit i can relate to this SO MUCH

Tell her there aren't enough grants to hire another researcher.

>"you're a quantum physicist? cool, wanna hear my theory?"
>something something retarded bullshit
>"your theory doesnt hold anything if you dont show the math"
>"cant you just do that for me?"
AAAAAAHHHHH

>psychologist
>the amount of people who believe that every single individual on the planet is the exact same in beliefs, ideals, opinions, upbringings, essentially the same nature and nurture across all 7+ billion of us
>the amount of people who lack basic understanding of statistics and have never once encountered the term "outlier" in their existence
I'll leave it at that for now.

you tell people you're a quantum physicist? Why don't you actually say what you do.

>you're a particle physicist? What does that mean?
>I basically just stare at my screen wondering why my code doesn't work.

>psychologist

sorry friend this is a board for the discussion of science and math

> She believes in psychics, even as far as "Star Psychic Sally Morgan" who literally reads the latest gossip mags for info on dumb D-list celebs, then reels of info to them like see used her "powers" for it and not Google.
> Yeah she ain't a bright person

Christ my spelling her is autistically bad

Just cringe

Your relatives are stupid, so what?
In all history of mankind engineers have been the basis of progress.
No engineers -> no lawyers or economists necessary.

>psycologist
>science
kek

>In all history of mankind engineers have been the basis of progress.
>No engineers -> no lawyers or economists necessary.
I know you're proud of finishing your first year of your engineering degree, but this is just incredibly stupid.

Attacking a relevant post with irrelevant shit. Goodjob

>Oh, so you study rocks?
>Look at this shell collection!

The best part is I actually have a large, and growing, rock collection that no one except for me and other rock people care about.

I think my 3mm stibnite veins in hydrothermally altered diorite from an epithermal "region" is pretty rad.
But people only care that I found gold in it.
One day, this field is going to make me rich senpai. Just got to learn more before I buy it.

the word "social media" pisses me off.

people nowadays need euphemisms for "wasting time on facebook, instagram, twitter" and they call it social media.

got any sexy feldspar?

They are all cock thirsty homos.

It's ok user. Soft science is still science.

Kind of.

made me kek hard

More of something that I found funny than made me mad:

> In a North Western English town called Leigh. Those of you unfamiliar with Leigh may wish to read the picture as it describes the town perfectly.
> Cycling through to pick up some stuff (forget what exactly)
> Weird ginger tramp with a pocket amp attached to his belt is walking up and down the high street giving a speech
> "Eeeeh they talk about evolution these scientists, they talk about evolution and they come up with some new-fangled idea just so they get a prize and they everyone says "Eeeh, aren't they good", and they feel all good about themselves then go home"

> In Leigh, scientific enquiry is based around feeling smug and prizes.

Not by itself, no. Just as much as you can find with a short walk.

> Some smug guy (for some reason usually Indian): "Maybe humans should stop destroying this planet before going mining others"
These ones really give me the shits, although it tends to more often be women in my experience.

>baww maybe we should just keep feeding third worlders instead of permanently solving the problem of Earth having finite resources
This is basically the argument.

I know the feeling. People see my collection, "what's this one", oh that one has great kinematic indicators in it! " huh?

It's fine of they don't know what that means, the test is always if they care to learn (listen to me explain).

Post rocks?

And this

When people think they understand a science subject.

I seriously had to listen to a woman saying that cocaine and morphine were synthetic drugs and therefore more harmful and addictive than other types of drugs.
Her reasoning? She quoted a wikipedia article saying that chemicals are used in the extraction process of the drugs.
Chemicals are used. That was her reasoning.

As if doctors are the ones finding cures to diseases....
>Pro tip: it's mostly not

This. Many doctors invest massive time and money into becoming pill pushers for pharmaceutical companies and making mad dosh from all parties involved.

A truly noble cause.

Of course, there are exceptions, but the important part is it doesn't automatically make you selfless.

yep

>Chemicals are used. That was her reasoning.
You seem surprised. Do you not hear this shit every day? The general public is very uneducated.

Actually I kind of meant that it's more likely that someone who studied molecular medicine would be the one to find the cure to a disease rather than a doctor.

Yes, I do hear this every day. Why do you think I'm so bothered by it? It makes me kind of feel surrounded by idiots, that I just want to punch the forehead in on.

Now I'm sad my collection is all boxed up since I'm moving soon.

These people don't deserve consciousness.

>facebook

REEEEEEEEE

literally saw this on a billboard.

>geniuses can be dumb at first, right??

GENIUS CAN BE LEARNED
IQ IS MEME
HARD WORK > RAW INTELLECT
EFFORT > TALENT
MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES

UHH HOW ABOUT PLANTS U FAGET

nailed it

whew, as a Biochemist, this rustles my jimmies

pretty sad breh im a biologist and i have a much bigger and better rock collection than you

though its not really fair since if i wanted i could get a PhD in geology in like 2 years because i have a natural talent

anyways try harder your embarassing

>masters calc at 15
>didn't do well in school

how does this meme keep happening

>Dat feel when most of your relatives are scientist or engineers

What makes you think they have it?

OP here (Geophysics student).

Damn those are some lovely rocks. The Amethyst is really pretty.

What's this?

Ah well fuck it, I'm still doing geophysics to make bare wedge

This guy is baiting right?
It's so hard to tell these guys.

ya well i have sex with your significant other while you are out of the house

The second one is brecciated rock from a silicic vein. Quartz precipitation after pressure blew up the surrounding area results in these beautiful crystals in vapour spaces. There's gold in there as well, visible in thin section. But the bulk is in other samples.
I have a few hundred from the region, mostly in the lab. But it's an epithermal system.

I have some much better ones I'd like to post later if I can find them.

it personally rustles my jimmies that people don't know the difference between genetically modified and transgenic organisms, and are terrified of them all.

happens to me a lot.
in fairness, I'm going to uni smack dab in the middle of oil country....

if those shells haven't been buried in the ground for millions of years first, I ain't interested.

Wazza represent

I go to school in the middle of liberal gay sin world capital, Bay Area, but it's still all people can think to ask.

Biotard trying to bait

>Civil engineering student
>"Haha what a fag, you should've went mechanical. That's where all the money is!"

I just wanna smash concrete ;_;