Book haul

>From Russia with love edition

Hey y'all,

Beautiful day to go hunting for used books. What did you guys pick up?

Both Dostoevsky books are translations by ignat avsey. Maudes for Tolstoy.

There's a book festival in my city going on these weeks. I might go have a look, although I already own many books I haven't even started yet.

You should't have posted your finds.

You fucking suck, pleb.

Well I think you suck.

How is the Odyssey pleb material?

Pleb translation and also, the problem isn't the odyssey it's the fact he'll buy this small selection of russian and greek book(s) and never move past it and explore other authors of the same tribes.

>Projecting this hard

I've already read the Fagles odyssey and I wanted to read a different translation.
Lattimore, Fagles and Fitzgerald get consistent praise here.

I'd really love to find that Avsey translation

>not reading it in the original Greek
Fucking poser

Nice try lime twig shitposter we know you just pulled those off your shelf

i think fitzgerald is pretty good desu

What's your fav so far? I like Lattimore's best.

I've read the first few pages of Fitzgerald and really loved it. Which is why I bought it. The pacing seems faster than fagels. Can't say which I prefer until I read more of it

Looks like a fun stack

The Karamazov brothers is easy enough to find but the idiot took me a while. Alma classics is the publisher

Dude, next to Pope and maybe Lattimore, Fitzgerald is easily the least pleb translation, you ignorant fag.

Oh, I didn't realize that copy of The Idiot was Avsey too. Nice.

Read a clockwork Orange not long ago was pretty good. Movie was good too made me like Kubrick

Looks good.
What are you even on about?

Not gonna bother taking a photo but:
>A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James
>Mythology by Edith Hamilton
>Essential Celtic Mythology by Lindsay Clarke
>The Religion of the Ancient Celts by J. A. MacColloch
and
>The Subterraneans by Jack Kerouac (a rare, relatively expensive copy from 1973 which I bought for $15)
I also mean to go and buy The Portable Jack Kerouac tomorrow, which I have on hold at the local used bookstore.

Fitzgerald is actually the best translation you charlatan

What condition is the Kerouac in? The drop-off in price on even slightly damaged books is pretty massive, I have a 1st edition Viking Press Grapes of Wrath but the dust cover's gone, which already means a considerable loss in value, and the book has also become more tattered looking as a result, so I don't think I'd be able to sell it for much
Not that I would, though

Which translation should I get for The Brothers Karamazov? Many say that Pevear and Volokhonsky is the best, what makes Avsey so good?

Here are the ones I tend to mention for this question:
* David Magarshack -- an older translation, but more careful than Garnett;
* Ralph Matlaw's revision of Garnett (Norton Critical Editions);
* Andrew MacAndrew, loose with regard to the letter of the original but faithful to the spirit;
* David McDuff, a good newer choice;
* Avsey, another good recent translation, good because of his exclusive focus on translating Dostoyevsky and so being more closely tuned in to his particular voice.

Avsey >>McAndrew >>McDuff

Bday haul pt I: gifts from fiancé edition

Bday haul II: "30 bucks of books" boogaloo

Whoops

Thanks for your help

i love your fiance can i marry her

what? no

No, she's my cutie

Lisboa?