My 18 y/o sister has expressed some interest in getting into some better literature...

My 18 y/o sister has expressed some interest in getting into some better literature. As of now most of what she reads is "just bee urself" type self-help books and genre YA fiction.

She expressed some interest in learning about wars, different political systems ect. She is currently quite critical of the government saying some baseless conspiracy theories but open-minded enough to consider other view points.

Anyway, the list of books I was thinking of getting is currently;

Book Thief (Not so much a good book but a good place to start and a sublte primer to read more)

Alice's Adventure in Wonderland (Amazing book)
Pride and Prejudice (Might not be liked here but a solid classic)

To Kill A Mockingbird (Another classic that should be read regardless of it's reception here)

I don't want her to turn into a goodreads pleb whose profile is the better achievement than the merit of what she has learnt and gained from literature, but at the same time the books need to keep her interested.

Idk lol

not even a my diary desu?

Lolita. Bitches seem to eat that shit up for some reason.

>To Kill A Mockingbird (Another classic

It's not a "classic". It's pleb-tier trash. Nobody read it outside seppoland.

Give her Murakami.

The Book Thief: read a book about a person who would never in a million years read the book that you're reading about that person. not that you'll ever realize how much that person would not read the book your reading about them right now, because the author of the book about that person doesn't even know what kind of books the character he's written a book about would read.

Eh, if you haven't read much it could be considered a "classic" which is what the list was aimed at. The more you read the quicker it loses that title though.

I doubt she would like Norwegian wood, so I take it you mean Kafka on the shore? IQ84 worth considering?

Lord of the Flies is a good book to start with. Its short and easy that's why they usually have high schoolers read it. Although it is one of those "true nature of people" books

The Ego and Its Own
Not joking, if she wants subversive texts then that is THE book to get her.

Good suggestion. Not a bad place to start.

De-spook her one day user...

Start with some basics. High school english curriculum works

>1984
>Lord of the Flies
>Frankenstein
>etc.

Give her Schopenhauer to turn her way from this autistic hobby.

>pride and prejudice
>to kill a mockingbird
Stop this. They're great books (well, Pride and Prejudice is, anyway) but feeding stuffy old literature to somebody who doesn't even know if they like to read is a bad idea.

If she's interested in other "wars and other political systems" give her some books written during WWII and some Russian books from the USSR era. There's a metric fuckton of both of those.
Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse Five are both good entry-level, fun books about war.

Maybe something from Solzhenitsyn, and Vasily Grossman is a great writer than fits both the war and communism angles.

Oh yeah good point.

Give her one day in the life of ivan denosivich

???

Good point.

Catch-22, while very appropriate, might be hard considering it's length. If I'm not mistaken it's one of the more dropped books.

Slaughterhouse Five is a good suggestion though.

Stalingrad and Ivan Denisovich might be a bit too much at first I honestly think.

Why does it matter that the character in the book would read the book themself?????? That's a pretty retarted logic for why not to read a book

The things they carried was pretty good

Hit the Ground Running with The Russians

Tolstoy, Dosty, Chekhov

this is how pretty much all people "get into reading"

this, but replace tolstoy and chekhov with more dostoevsk.

this but make sure they're not P&V translations
better still learn Russian

Murakami has literally dozens of books bro.
An easy one for a girl that she might also like is After Dark.
South of the Border, West of the Shore and The Strange Library are also on the more digestible side, requiring less erudition to understand (not to suggest you need to know a ton to get something out of his works, but even Kafka on the Shore is pretty heavy on references to philosophers and other literature, both direct and indirect).

buy her some proper classics obviously

seeking another publisher is strongly suggested, pic is just for reference

Have you fucked her yet?

No. She is really attractive though. I'm thinking about asking out her best friend. She said I should, but I'm not sure what to think.