Wood fired ovens

Anyone own one?

Just got ours, from Forno Piombo based out of Napa, California.

Ours is a custom hybrid, with Italian fire bricks, and a gas burner for an additional heat source (avanzini).

Been prepping doughs and sauces all day today to cook with tommorrow.

Any tips?

Also if y'all want to know the price we bought it for about $7500.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i0foHjPVbP4
youtube.com/watch?v=5Et52Jo3kkc
amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0244-Perfect-Results-Ceramic/dp/B006JIGM5O/ref=lp_383850011_1_2/156-3786739-9229355?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1474862232&sr=1-2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looks pretty based...

We built one with cinder block for base and fire brick for dome and it cost about $500. Too dark outside, or I'd post pic. Will post tomorrow if thread still here.

It takes me about 2.5 hours of continuous hardwood stoking to get to a temp of 900F which is what you need for woodfired pizza. Mine is not really insulated, so yours may take less time.

Pizza cooks in about 90 seconds. Have to turn at least once.

Emphasis on dough if you're going authentic. I use "00" with my own sourdough yeast and let rise in refrig for 24 hours.

Are these sandmonkey/white hipster barbecue pits?

Shit looks gay, man.

That's what I'm doing right now for the dough! Tho my house runs a bit hotter so the bulk ferment will probably be 6 hrs and then fridge overnight.

I don't think they import fucking bricks from italy.

Interior shot. Really cool design of the dome without the need for a keystone.

Should be good then, on the dough. Also, I'm an amerifag but I'll say you cannot overload toppings. Error on the side of less.

I try to go 3 or less on toppings. Wanted to try this recipe I saw consisting of basically ricotta, bacon, and blueberry jam. Came from a pizza place called Puglino's in D.C.

no door? You need a door man

We have one. It's off to the side at the moment. It's removable,

Savory (bacon) and sweet (jam) should go well together. My only concern would be the jam might crystallize - 900F is friggin hot!

I almost forgot, if it doesn't have a reliable thermometer built in, get a cheap laser gun style to make sure your floor temp is @ 900F.

>ours
>we
Do you work in a restaurant or just we as in people you live with?

My family.
Jam is put on as a finish.

those cause a lot of smoke pollution. You're a terrible neighbor and person.

Wood oven is based, have one too.

I typically heat my oven for about 1 hour while adding wood to keep strong flames going creating a nice base of coals, once ready to cook I sweep the fire to the side opposite the thermometer and stoke the fire to a low flame keeping heat at about 450F adding wood as required. I found that the thermometer was as accurate me rolling 3 dice pretty much just use it as a guide.

I cut the wood 1.5-2.5" x 1.5-2" x 8", it fits better and smaller pieces are easier to control.

I typically make my pizza very thin. From past experience of thin pizza creation it would 20% of the time stick to the peel between the counter and the oven. Rather than ever increasing amounts of flour I started making it on parchment paper then transferring paper and all into the oven. After about 20 seconds in the oven I could lift up the pizza and parchment paper with the peel, grab the corner of the paper then flick the pizza off and back into the oven thereby removing the paper and getting that dank, crispy, thin crust. Usually turn the once depending on how the top looks.

Strongly recommend trying french bread at the end of your pizza cooking, using coals with virtually no flame. Takes a little more finesse and patience than a pizza but worth it once you get it down.

Awesome man thanks. We're thinking of modding our door by drilling a hole in it and using one of those steam boxes used to bend wood, and connecting hose for the steam to the door. Since our oven is insanely insulated the lip and door don't get hot. So basically I can steam control the oven via the steambox after loading a boule.

I'm not trying to be snarky, user, but I always go to a floor temp of @900F. Pizza cooks in 90 seconds. I can get 550F in my kitchen oven. I don't see the point of a wood fired oven for 450F. Please explain.

I've had a wood fire oven for the last 4 years. I've been using almond for the last few months because it was what was available, but prefer olive. Any good, dense hardwood will work just fine. In general, I'll fire mine up 2 hours before it's time to cook pizza to get it up to 900F, then let it settle down to 800F and even out across the floor and dome. Otherwise, it's easy to get floor temps of 800F but completely scorch the pizza. I cook pizza at 800F, bread at 550F, and meat at 400F overnight with the door closed. The oven stays hot for about 12 hours at that point, so it's a good opportunity to slow-roast large cuts of meat and have them ready in the morning.

I've experimented with a huge variety of doughs, but find the best one to be 100% bread flour, 80% water, 2.7% salt, and 0.03% yeast.

Best of luck. There's a definite learning curve, but it's a very satisfying hobby.

Thanks for the tips. The convenience of the burner from avanzini definitely helps with floor temps being controlled. And even allowing for the oven to heat faster. And if I want the smokey flavor of wood, I'll just throw a log in.

The thermometer I have isn't the best so I'm not sure how accurate it is, for scale I often singe my arm hairs if I put my arm in the oven. I can "change" the temp of the oven by 300 degrees by moving the fire to the other side of the oven. From past hotter fires I found that the top would cook much faster than the bottom which made in near impossible to get a crispy crust.

Wow that looks really good great j-

oh wait this is Veeky Forums

Your tastes are fucking awful and whatever way you cooked this was awful.There is no difference between that pizza and dominos or me squirting cheese out of my asshole.Quit cooking forever.

Top fucking kek

that crust

ohh my

I'm thinkin about getting a uuni. More finnicky than the big ovens, but it's only $300 and I can keep it inside and use it on my back deck.

>$7,500
>Not building your own.
You cuck.

*pyromania intensifies*

If you have the money I don't see why not, if he said it was absolutely necessary to spend the money I'd object.

Thinking of making one of cob myself but had too much shit to do over summer and it's too cold and wet now. Maybe next year...

Really cool OP
too bad you probably don't have any friends to come over and cook shitty homemade pizza for

I would be scared that you are going to burn down your house if you get that up to 900 degrees. I would seriously consider getting a custom exhaust that routes up and around that overhang it is under

I could be wrong, but when I get my big green egg up to 700+ degrees it looks like a jet engine coming out the exhaust vent. No way would I have it under a wooden overhang..

>$7500
youtube.com/watch?v=i0foHjPVbP4

I've never had a good pizza that came out of an oven like that. The best pizza is in nyc and everyone uses those typical commercial ovens. This must be some kind of scheme to sell people $50 worth of bricks for $7500 by making an igloo out of them. Pic related.

>I've never had a good pizza
There's your problem

>I've never had a good pizza that came out of an oven like that. The best pizza is in nyc...

Stopped reading there.

>I've never had a good pizza that came out of an oven like that.

You're absolutely fucked. You're pepsi on cheerios kinda fucked.

Brick oven fags butthurt they spent thousands on a brick igloo.

Ricotta, Bacon, and homemade blueberry jam.

Dough didn't come out the way I wanted it too. Perhaps too long of a ferment or just over mixing in the kitchenaid (pressed for time last night)

It's funny how New Yorkers fail to realize that the world looks upon their 'pizza' much like they do with Chicago style tomato pie. There's great pizza in Manhattan, but most of the stuff is greasy street food.

Meanwhile I just made cheap and easy pizza at home yesterday and now my freezer is stocked for another month or two.

I wish I had room for a wood fired oven. But I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it, not even with gas flame and fancy bejeweling.

Very true. I'm a physician, and the only time I had was to build the base which is made out of travertine. I never could find time to make a good oven for the house, but I do have enough disposable income to afford a oven. It's

>a good pizza never came out of an oven like that.
This is true.

>The best pizza is in nyc
This is not true.

>everyone uses those typical commercial ovens.
This is true.

>This must be some kind of scheme to sell people $50 worth of bricks for $7500 by making an igloo out of them.
This is true.

You people seem like you've never had anything but franchise pizza. Who the fuck doesn't know the benefits of wood flavouring? The fuck do you people think the entire basis for American BBQ is?

>The fuck do you people think the entire basis for American BBQ is?
Barbeque sauce.

Happy someone pointed this shill out so I didn't have to.

And now we know we have a basement fatty trolling Veeky Forums

It was a bit of a joke... It's called playing along with the bants.

Although most people don't give a shit if their pulled pork sandwich is from barbeque or a roast, just that it has a good sauce.

Likewise I couldn't care less if my ribs were barbequed or baked because with the right sauce it doesn't matter.

Jew Yorkah butthurt that people aren't impressed with their shitty sysco corporation "pizza" that's little different than any public school cafeteria "pizza" found in any given state...

I get how people who like what they like and have never experienced anything else defend their little patch of turf, but jesus christ. Stop limiting your experiences.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Et52Jo3kkc

>their shitty sysco corporation "pizza" that's little different than any public school cafeteria "pizza" found in any given state...
This. It's good, but it's not true pizza.

If I could get my homemade pizza to turn out like cafeteria pizza I would beyond joyed, but I would be even happier if it came out like a real pizza (little caesars/dominos/etc).
I don't want it to be 'rustic' or italian (read as shit).
What I want is for my homemade pizza to be both consistently cooked and shaped.

I'm just saying that I've never had good pizza out of a wood fired brick meme oven. Anytime I've ever had good pizza whether it was in NYC, Chicago, or even Portland, it was out of one of those commercial ovens.

It's because consistency is more important to a quality pizza than speed and char.

Why are you using a stand mixer? Hand mix that shit! Get a pdf of "Flower Water Salt Yeast" and follow his dough recipe too the letter.

>about $7500
Dammmmn. What can you make in that? Pizza and bread mostly? Looks pretty sweet.

>I don't want it to be 'rustic' or italian (read as shit).

This just depresses me. I know there's a lot of people who grew up in America eating processed foods who are 'picky eaters' and end up with hot dog and white bun disease. But at a certain point in life you should look at the history of whatever food you're eating and try the original. The reason it became such a popular food.

This is just 1950s tv dinners level of food appreciation.

>The reason it became such a popular food.
There wasn't an alternative so the original became popular...
When a superior alternative came around the original became notably less popular for a reason.

If the alternative wasn't superior then the original wouldn't have to use it's originality as a selling point.

>tl;dr
You're right, there is a reason why the original became popular.
But there is also a reason why the original is no longer popular, something better came along.

>something better
Better for packaging and distribution, better shelf life, better machine compatibility, better advertising, sure.

But flavor? Not to mention nutrients and lack of contaminants...

Anyone who claims fresh wheat and yeast dough baked in a wood oven doesn't taste heavenly has never had it. It's like saying fried pork butt isn't mouth watering. Nobody believes that.

You think capitalism chooses the best quality product? Do you in the western word? Capitalism chooses what the cost of goods sold math says is best. This is why China's buildings randomly fall over, because building codes are lax.

You don't get the best quality from the mass market, you get what makes money. COGS bro.

Sorry, I'm drinking JW black tonight and obviously dropping articles and letters.

I remember taco bell back in the 90s used to serve beer. They were little hovel franchises, but their tacos were amazing, their nachos are dense, salty pieces of delicious granite you dipped into cheese that tasted like cheese (not the DuPont cheese you get today) and everything was fresh as fuck. They had like 5 customers a day and a smoking section.

They learned that every other factor in marketing and cost cutting mattered more than their food. I really wish people could taste old school Taco Bell.

>Nobody believes that.
You would be surprised how fucked up you can make something in the name of ponce.
Wood brick bread oven bread is fantastic, although I prefer bread machine bread.

>But flavor?
I think so.
Italian 'classic/margarita' pizza is just a burnt quesadilla with tomato and garnish.

>Not to mention nutrients and lack of contaminants...
You're memeing. A restaurant kitchen has more contamination than a factory.
The nutrition is so close to being the same that it's a non-issue.

I think capitalism provides an incentive to provide the most sought goods. The demand curve says that if 'classic' style pizza was sought out and valued more than real pizza, then it would be produced more than real pizza.

>Capitalism chooses what the cost of goods sold math says is best.
Yes, capitalism provides an incentive to sell at the most efficient price.
Capitalism says the people don't want shitty pizza for cheap when they can have good pizza for cheap. So people sell shitty pizza for more money because absurdly fewer people want shitty pizza.

You're free to try to sell classic pizza at an equivalent price to little caesars, but good luck staying in business.
And at the prices you would need to stay in business, your pizza isn't worth 3-4 little caesar pizzas to almost everyone who isn't motivated by ponce.

>I prefer bread machine bread.
Just go to McDonalds, dude.
It's where you belong.

No thanks, I don't like the illusion of value.

You should get used to that statement in your life.

I'm not sure what that means.
I am already used to evaluating on value and efficiency. That's why I said I disliked mcdonalds.

Can you clarify what you meant because I don't understand.

Your judgement is monumentally screwed and you dismiss the best things in life as an illusion of value. I mean you will see great things and be disappointed. You're the refined version of a person who misses out. Everyone has opinions, but you're on the extreme of what is acceptably sane.

Type in 'brick oven pizza youtube' and watch how those pie leaven and cook in a minute. The marbling on the underside. Every ounce of those pies are delicious. On an off day I cook shitty pita pizzas and still end up with an edible pseudo pizza.

>you dismiss the best things in life as an illusion of value.
I'm saying that McDonalds relies upon the illusion of value.
"oh wow bun patty and cheese for a dollar!!!"
When people don't take into account the circumference or thickness of the patty.

That's what I mean by illusion of value. Making decisions on unit price instead of taking mass and volume into account.
There is a reason why poor people go to mcdonalds instead of other places disproportionately more than other groups of people.

>I mean you will see great things and be disappointed.
I'm not going to pay 20$ for a pizza. I'm not going to pay 10$ for a pizza.
In my mind there isn't much difference in taste between good and great, and imo great doesn't warrant more than a dollar or 2 more, because good is already really good.
Diminishing returns.

Little caesars tastes good to me, so why should I pay absurdly more for something that tastes marginally better and that there might be less of?

I'm cheap, not ignorant.

I thought you typed brick in oven pizza, and I got really excited. Because that looked like it turned out quite good for oven pizza.
Pizza stones are so expensive and I'm clumsy.

>Pizza stones are so expensive
Where?
Pizza stones are $10.

>Pizza stones are $10.
Since when?
Last time I looked they were like 50+.

Don't buy a 'stone' buy a steel. You'll get way better marbling and you can cook amazing bread on it as well. Thermal conductance and specific heat capacity of ceramic is terrible compared to steel, whatever the blend.

Where do you do your looking?
amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0244-Perfect-Results-Ceramic/dp/B006JIGM5O/ref=lp_383850011_1_2/156-3786739-9229355?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1474862232&sr=1-2

You're just not interested in food, and you're spending time in Veeky Forums. Don't really understand why? Video gaming, construction contracting, I dunno. Whatever you do, it isn't food. Boating?

>Boating?
I have bad experiences with boats, I tend to have tragic accidents.

I do actually like food, I just don't value ponce over taste, and don't think paying two times as much for a negligible increase in quality is reasonable. That is all.

>implying home made pizza is expensive
Make America grate again!

Neapolitan pizza is the only real pizza.

OH shit is that what we were talking about?
Sorry, I thought it was about 'classic' pizza.

refer to: and

That's funny, I own a 23.5 Hunter Marine sailboat and was "Knocked over" in a sirius 22 and almost died. We came out of Port Franks on Lake Huron on a good day, with 6 souls aboard. My friend Dave who owned the boat ended up in the bow pulpit while we were trying to enter Port Franks harbour and the waves were 'haystacking', which is when they reflect against the shore and come back. The boat went to 120 degrees off level, everyone was underwater. No one died but we ended up beaching the boat on the beach, lost the anchor. Everyone thought they were going to die that day. Fun stuff.

Anyone ever try to make pizza cake?
Any tips or pointers?

NICE. Have you christened it yet?

um- don't?

But it's like deep dish pizza, except it's actually pizza(s) instead of a casserole.
How does that not sound good?

Yes. See the ricotta, bacon, and blueberry pizza

At least we entertained some stupid fat bastard on Sunday night. He was suffering and gave him something to do.

sharp knife, sharp knife...needed

To slice it or to eat it?
Because I would imagine that eating it is like eating a burger.

this looks so fine god damn

>If I could get my homemade pizza to turn out like cafeteria pizza I would beyond joyed,

You can make better pizza at home, using an electric or gas stove, than any chain pizza.

The key is to find the right hydration level for the flour you're using, slow fermentation of the dough, fresh ingredients, and using the broiler on the stove and a pizza stone to do your cooking.

That's because when you're raised on eating garbage, garbage is what you identify with as tasting "good".

An "original Jew Yahk" pizza uses the same mass produced, preservative laden, processed, tomato paste based sauces, cheese, and toppings, that can be found in any part of the country, thanks to giant companies like Sysco foods. It's prison / cafeteria tier...

>Dammmmn. What can you make in that?

Wood fired ovens can be used for baking and roasting alike, user.

After you make an assload of bread, or pizza, you drop an enormous piece of meat in that bitch and let it slow roast overnight using the residual heat alone.

>But there is also a reason why the original is no longer popular...

Because people are too fucking cheap and too lazy to spring for, and monitor, a wood fired oven when you can get an electric one for half the cost, set it, and forget it...

Electric ovens are better for a thick many topping pizza that needs a longer cook time. For real pizza with few simple ingredients, a 90 second cook time in a wood fired oven is far superior.

What he said.

>Because people are too fucking cheap and too lazy to spring for, and monitor, a wood fired oven when you can get an electric one for half the cost, set it, and forget it...

Which means...
The alternative is a more appealing option than the original.

The people generally don't value the alleged benefits of the original, over the real benefits of the alternative.

>real pizza with few simple ingredients, a 90 second cook time in a wood fired oven is far superior.
That's called a quesadilla with tomato and garnish, not a pizza.

>Electric ovens are better for a thick many topping pizza that needs a longer cook time

They're not "better" for this, they are simply capable of it, whereas they are incapable of doing a proper job on a "real pizza".

How do you make a thick many topping pizza in a brick oven? Easy. Don't heat it up as much before you put the pizza in.

>The people generally don't value the alleged benefits of the original, over the real benefits of the alternative.

I would argue that the majority of people haven't even sampled the original and thus they are totally ignorant as to its benefits.

>I would argue that the majority of people haven't even sampled the original and thus they are totally ignorant as to its benefits.
That's why I said alleged and real. They have experienced the alternative and the related ease, but typically rely on hearsay for the original.

sorry but what the fuck are you talking about?

you can't bake a pizza in a barbecue pit...

are you retarded?

FF! will you make a bread thread soon dog?

>The people generally don't value the alleged benefits of the original...

Kind of hard to value the original when you don't have access to the original.

You know how many wood fired oven pizza joints most people have in their towns?

ZERO.

Italy, on the other hand, is just the opposite in that while there are electric oven / U.S. chain pizza tier places available, most people go to pizza places with real wood fired ovens. Why? Because they taste better.