If PopSci is based on real science, then why does Veeky Forums hate PopSci?

If PopSci is based on real science, then why does Veeky Forums hate PopSci?

I don't hate pop-sci just like I don't hate pop music. It's just that the majority of it is bad.

>why does Veeky Forums hate PopSci?

>implying
Most of this board is either pop/sci/ or /b/ tier shower thoughts.

Popsci is good to get people an initial interest in science. It also spreads some science knowledge even if it isn't much. Popsci is bad because it gives people a sense of being more educated than they actually are(degrees do the same thing though). It also gives people a false sense that science works in grandiose movements. I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons though.

saying popsci is based on real science is like saying alternative medicine is based on real medicine or fast food is based on real food

>degrees do the same thing though

Are you implying that people with degrees are not more educated than people without degrees?

Not implying that at all. Degrees are great (Currently finishing one).

Popsci ends up spreading more misinformation and misplaced interest rather than garnering support for proper science studies and research. It's unintentional but that's what happens when you play the game of telephone with information.

Popsci isn't bad in and of itself, but in order to simplify very complicated topics, popsci often loses accuracy (and definitely precision).

If dying is based on living then why do you hate death

Thats why its called popular. Its really hard to explain complex things without losing something.

>time travel
>black ass holes
>shrodinger cat
>teleportation
>real science

He's probably saying how some people assume they are an expert in a field just because they have a degree in it. Not based on any of their actual ability or knowledge of said field.

Kill yourself

In world where people glorify butts, popsci is gold. If you can instigate people, make them thirsty for knowledge, they'll start to search stuff. That's how some people (agains all odds) go to a university, not for the paper, but to fullfill their curiosity.

kek, look this shit, I'm supposed to click the pies, but the one with a big pie is a pizza

big pi*, and google accepted it.

Dumb AI

Literally don't know anyone like that. Might have something to do with the company we keep.
Whenever we have an industry night or a guest speaker we're always drilled that "a degree is less than 5% of the knowledge you need to be valuable".
That's why we have 5 year graduate programs I guess, before we're "fully qualified".

popsci likes to dumb things down, and sometimes it is done to such degree that it becomes incorrect.

also, the big bang theory(the show).

I personally don't know anyone like that as well, but it's not hard to find public figures that behave like that. Look at any creationist biologist that says shit like they know evolution is wrong because they have a bachelor's in biology.

ubmp

1. Jealousy towards presenters
2. People wanting to be smug and look smart

Yes, exactly. I'm fine with and proud of the fact that that things like Nova or PBS Digital Studios exist and are publicly funded, since they promote an interest and awareness of modern science.

What I hate about popsci is that many of its consumers, rather than seeing or reading something interesting in a popsci publication immediately declare themselves experts in that field and feel no need to learn more. They become complacent and arrogant. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to punch someone in the throat when they would ask me, a physics major, what general relativity is, and after saying it's the study of accelerating frames they would interrupt me, fold a piece of paper and stick a pencil through it, and then say "It's not that. Didn't you see Interstellar?"

Tldr: Popsci is good, but talking to some people about popsci triggers me.

I guess I've gotten used to it. I TA a freshman engineering class at a top 10 engr school with 120 kids and they are all popsci meme kids.I think it was really important to getting them where they are, and I think the popsci meme comes from an honest curiosity to learn. It's kinda giving them something to guide them with what they can learn or know even though most of them will lose interest in the popsci memes and carve their own interests. It's kinda like how bands inspire people to learn an instrument even if the person starts to hate the band as they learn more.