ITT: Spice advice and Spice General

ITT: Spice advice and Spice General.

I'm relatively new to cooking, just really getting 'into it' after I started working as a Meat Cutter. Cooking has never been big in my family, where steaks, chicken, and everything else is topped with Morton's Season-All.

I've started picking up new seasonings, but I'm not super great with pairings yet. Any 'essential' spices and herbs to own? And any brands to pick/avoid? Is Store Brand seasoning really much different from McCormick or Lawry's?

Also, is there anything to avoid all-together? Like should I be using real garlic instead of garlic salt, or is it worth picking up a pestle and mortar and grinding up whatever you grind up?

Wish I could help you but I can't bother translating the names of the condiments I know in english

So I'll just bump your thread (for free) instead

the main advantage to buying spices/making your own spice blends over a pre-made blend is price
dried spices are universally worse than fresh ones
if you're not going to have a windowsill spice/herb garden then you shouldn't be too worried about it
therefore, obviously real garlic and real onions will be better than garlic or onion powder
>mortar and pestle
no need, just smash the cloves with the flat side of your knife
or use a garlic press if you're a pussy and you like cleaning a garlic press for 10 minutes

>'essential'
Salt and pepper. Not being a smart ass. Anything beyond that is going to depend on the kinds of food you cook.

>any brands
Search Google Maps for an Asian or Indian grocer near you. For example, I can get a pound of cumin seeds for $3 whereas at a supermarket you're going to get one of those bottle sizes on the bottom in the picture. It's a fucking crime. Supermarkets fucking blow, but sometimes we have no choice but to use them.

>avoid
People are going to tell you to avoid pre-mixed stuff, or to ONLY use fresh herbs. Ignore them. They may also tell you to only buy whole seeds. Ignore that too.

Even in a perfect world where we can just go in our back yards and pick the most beautiful herbs and spices and grind them ourselves, I would still have a use for dried and ground spices.

whynotboth.jpg

>should I be using real
For onion, garlic, and ginger, I suggest using the real thing when it makes sense. Like mirepoix as the base for soups and sauces. If you want to make a dry rub, spring for the powder. Garlic salt is just garlic powder and salt. You can make your own, but unless you can find the perfect ratio, you might just want to get it pre-made. I've personally never bought the stuff because I already have too many cooking projects I want to start, and none of them call for it.

Spices are pretty cheap and last ages so I would just get whatever you need when a recipe asks for some. I can't help you with the brand details as I'm not a yank.

If you're making something where it's all about the spices like a curry, you want to grind the whole spices yourself ( coriander, cumin, cloves etc etc).

It's also worth finding out some spice mixes that you like. I'm a big fan of Cajun and Ras al Hanout, and you can often find curry powders and garam masala at the store if you're a lazy shit.

Some herbs can be bought fresh and frozen well for far superior results compared to the dried stuff - a good example is coriander leaves or cilantro you dumb American fuck. Others are fine or even arguably stronger when dried (oregano). You can probably grow a few herbs like rosemary or basil quite easily but it's not really worth the effort as they're dirt cheap.

Always use fresh ginger/garlic/chillies as it's easier and so much better.

Essentials for me would be what I've mentioned plus dried:
Oregano
Basil
Thyme
Bay Leaves
Paprika
Chilli Powder (useful for customising kick)
Cumin powder (ground whole is better but it's nearly as good and less effort for stuff like quesdillas)

They are plenty of others like nutmeg cinnamon or what ever that will depend on what you cook, Google for a more complete list.

This is great advice. Also mexican markets carry whole chiles as well as spices that can be ground to make chili powder. If you are serious about cooking buy yourself a cofee grinder that will be used exclusively to grind spices.

I make my own chili pepper powder every christmas for friends and family.

You can put this on steak, in soup, on popcorn even.

4/5 measuring vessel full of seeded dried chiles, I use 5 varieties
1/5 measuring vessel black pepper corns

Add to a spice grinder and process.

I want to second that this is fantastic advice. Just listen to this guy.

Oragano
Basil
Parsley
Paprika
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Cinnamon
Bay leaves
Thyme
Mixed italian herbs
All spice
Chilli flakes
Dill
Salt
Pepper
Ground cumin
Nutmeg

Good advice, but a word on onion, garlic and ginger powders: they don't taste at all like fresh and are not interchangeable with their fresh counterparts. I notice a lot of people will use fresh and sneer at those who use dry and those who use dry who think the people using fresh are pretentious cuntholes. Both POVs are just wrong, though.

For example, there are no shortage of curries that use both fresh ginger (adarak) and dry (swanth). There are even different words for the two ingredients in Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati and other Indic languages to further cement the point that they're not interchangeable.

All that said, if you're gonna use dry, try to find as whole as you can and not powdered. Plenty of stores these days sell dry minced onion, for example. Other things, like garlic flakes and ginger slices, may be more difficult to find but are thankfully very easy to make at home.
I recommend that because, for some reason that someone who understands more about volatility than I do can explain, freshly powdered from larger pieces tastes WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaay better than already powdered stuff. Try it. Go to Aldi and get a 99ยข canister of dry minced onion, powder it yourself and see the enormous difference.

>General

In addition to this, if you buy a jar of minced garlic, and cook something woth it, you will find it gets incredibly sweet. Garlic powder does not. Some recipes i use both, typically adding minced garlic after its done to up the flavor wothout the sweetness. Probably the same for fresh minced but i'm lazy and hate peelong garlic cloves, let alone mincing them.

>but i'm lazy and hate peelong garlic cloves, let alone mincing them.

Change your technique. All you need to do is smack the garlic cloves with the flat side of your knife. The skin literally falls off with no effort required and it takes just a couple of seconds.

>Any 'essential' spices and herbs to own?
That's going to vary depending on what kind of cooking you're doing. A person cooking Japanese food is going to use radically different spices than French.

>>And any brands to pick/avoid? Is Store Brand seasoning really much different from McCormick or Lawry's?
Those all suck. I'd 2nd what others have said: check out "immigrant stores", or find a dedicated spice retailer. I buy a lot of things from spicehouse.com. Not only does it tend to be cheaper than even "store brand" per unit weight, but it tastes much better.

>Also, is there anything to avoid all-together? Like should I be using real garlic instead of garlic salt, or is it worth picking up a pestle and mortar and grinding up whatever you grind up?
I'd say it is worth the effort to grind your own spices. Freshly ground is always going to taste better than pre-ground. But it may not be worth the effort for you. Also note that a cheap-ass coffee grinder works great for grinding spices if you don't want to fuck with the mortar and pestle.

>>garlic
I feel this deserves special mention. Fresh garlic can vary in flavor depending on how you prepare it. Raw garlic has an acidic bite. The more you cook it the more that flavor mellows out. That gives a lot more flexibility than garlic powder does.

>garlic salt
noooo, garlic powder, that way you can add more if you like without making shit salty as fuck. same goes for onion salt/onion powder.

i used to have a roommate that bought pre-minced garlic for cooking. that stuff always smelled... off. had a really bad odour. fresh garlic or garlic powder only, plz

Don't bother with those stupid little bottles. If your grocery store has a bulk section go and fill up bags of the different spices. Massively cheaper and usually fresher and better tasting to boot. Asian or Paki/Indian markets are also good to buy fresh bulk spices, again cheaper and better than those shitty, expensive little jars.

Some herbs rarely even matter fresh or dry, like basil

I think it's two very different tastes
also op if you're thinking of growing stuff, try mint, it makes a nice addition to lot's of things you wouldn't think it does. it's almost a completely different taste than all that mint and peppermint flavored crap out there

what geographical region or state do you live?
what are your 3 favorite type of meal?
do you like hot(spicy) food?
do you like to stand over the stove or use slow cooker(other device)?

woah woah whah back the fuck up nigger

Fresh basil is fucking heavenly dried is just garbage

Wait until Christmas and pick up a spice rack preloaded with 12 to 20 spices on the cheap when they start to get nervous about selling off the overstock.

Experiment.

Spices are good in small doses and in all likelihood a lot of the stuff in the rack will last you years.

none of this matters unless we know what meat you're cooking with retard

Okay, OP here. A lot of great advice, I really appreciate all of it. I've got a couple more questions, which you guys have kind of touched on already, so here we go;

Onion/Garlic Salt or Powder? What's the difference? I've been using powder, but gradually using pre-minced garlic and when I run out of that, I'll actually crush my own.

When I cook, it's typically Cajun, Italian, or 'American' (steaks, grilled chicken, burgers) and occasionally Spanish. I'm not making anything fancy yet, so what are the go-tos for those cuisines? I know obvious ones like Red Pepper in Cajun, but I've always used pre-blended stuff.

For buying in bulk, I know spices technically do have an expiration date, but I've heard that's more for them to bait you into buying more. Would Paprika in my pantry from two years ago taste and act the same as paprika I bought today?

I have a couple old-timey Amish-style stores, Mediterranean markets, and Spanish Grocers in my area, I might visit them soon. Is there any recommendations for the spice racks that I've heard a couple mention?

Right now, i'm buying as I need, but i'm scared to buy larger packages of things, fearing they'll expire, if they do expire.

Fry an egg every day, and cut it unto quarters. Use different spices/spice combos on each quarter to learn what's good. Soon you'll be a spice master.

even when they're on sale those things are overpriced, and those clear glass containers they usually have the spices in aren't really good, because light denatures dried spices faster. just a regular spice rack with a door, would be better imo, and go to big lots or something and load up on cheaply priced spices and herbs.

they don't really expire but you want to keep them in a dark place because light no good. I say stay away from the salt varieties and go with powder, then add salt separately as needed. for a spice rack, you want more of a spice cabinet. something enclosed that you can hang on the wall that's nice to look at, to keep it away from the light if you're not gonna just keep it in the pantry, but having a spice cabinet by where you prepare stuff is handy.
my goto for steaks is montreal seasoning, but whatever you like, paired with whatever sides you're feelin at the time.
there's nothing inherently wrong with pre-blended, especially for things like montreal seasoning, but for other things once you've got an extensive spice collection and feel comfortable making your own mixes gives you more control over the flavor/heat level. I like heat so I'll add a pinch of cayenne to just about everything

I finally found fenugreek at a boutique spice shop in my city. Been looking forever, you can buy it online in hideously gigantic bulk packages.

Now I have all 7 spices to make lebanese 7 spice. What delicious foods should I make? I want to get a food processor and make baba ganoush, I am also ultra addicted to this lebanese place in town. Their shish tawooq is maybe my favorite food of all time.

only thing i can find issue with is premixed blends like why would i use pumpkin pie spice mix when i can use the seperate stuff and decide the ratios?

ohh I also got this shit. "Ras el Hanout" a north african spice..anyone got recommendations on recipes for that?

most under utilized spice or herb?
my vote goes to fresh mint

In my experience, spices are pretty much the same across all brands, the only thing that may differ is the blends. Get the cheapest, smallest one. If it works, get it again. Always worked for me, and I save a few bucks every time I buy spices just from buying the store brand

allspice in savory dishes.

it's not just for jamaican jerk meat.

That's a blend of different spices. It's especially good on meat in my opinion.

Is there any spice that will enhance the flavor of roasted peanuts?

>Essential
Like others have said, that really depends on what type of food you're cooking. However I would recommend the following:
>sea salt
>cracked pepper
>garlic powder
>onion powder
>paprika
>smoked paprika
>chili powder
>cayenne pepper
>ground cumin
>lemon-pepper
>oregano
>basil
>thyme
>cilantro
>italian seasoning
>montreal steak seasoning (god-tier)
>lawry's season salt

Of course mostly everything is better fresh, but I understand not everybody can get that. But I always recommend getting fresh basil and fresh cilantro whenever you need to use it.

I can't think of any brands to avoid, I use McCormick and I think it tastes just fine.

The only thing you should always, ALWAYS avoid is using that pre-minced garlic sludge in place of fresh garlic. That, and garlic salt. You have more control using garlic powder + salt.

As far as a mortar and pestle go, unless you are growing your own herbs, don't worry about it, and even in that case, they make automatic spice grinders now - so invest in that if you can.

>Onion/Garlic Salt or Powder
The difference is that one is basically a flavored salt, and the other is powdered spice. Never use salt, because 9 times out of 10, your dish will be too salty at the end.

I'm not too familiar with Cajun or Spanish foods, but for the others, my go-to spices are:

>Italian
Basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, garlic, and onion powder are your staples here. You can practice with small cans of tomato sauce, adding different amounts of spices to the sauce to make, say, spaghetti and meatballs or something.

>American
For steaks, you want to use Montreal Steak seasoning, same with burgers. You can also use different blends of paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder, seasoned salt, and stuff like that.

For chicken, keep it "light." Lemon-pepper is a good example - never use something like steak seasoning on grilled chicken, it'll be nasty.

Spices don't really expire, and I think you're smart to buy small amounts for now, until you learn what spices you like and will be using regularly. You said that you use pre-blended and packaged stuff - look on the backs and see what spices they use in them. You can get an idea of how to blend and utilize your own spices from there, by seeing what they use and put together and knowing how it tastes.

What would be a good spice to mix into ground beef being cooked for tacos?

I've been totally basic with red pepper and black pepper.

Just depends on what you want to make bay leaves, for soup paprika for chicken, gos on and on best thing to do is when you follow a recipe go out and buy the spice eventually you will have a nuce spice collection and you will know what each one does.

I use cumin, chili powder, a bit of cayenne, garlic and onion. Sometimes cilantro.

The one thing people forget is that the original use of spices developed to mask the flavor of spoiled meat in the days when there was no refrigeration. It's one of the reasons warmer climates typically have much spicier food.

The key is to use spice to enhance flavor, not obliterate it. If in your finished dish you can't taste the flavor of the primary ingredient, you've used too much.

Spices are still good for that. Had some cheap steaks that went off a bit, sorta brown and smelled funky, bit slimy (been in the fridge for like 3 weeks lol). Just coated them in cumin and chili powder and cooked thoroughly, tasted just fine if a bit strange lol.

Only time I've eaten a medium-well/well done steak lol.

That's actually bullshit

True, they still work for that and as long as you cook it well done, you probably won't get sick.

We throw away far too much meat because it's a bit old when you can spice the hell out of it, cook it well done, and it's perfectly fine.

I know a lot of people have chimed in already, but listen carefully because this is very important advice. Lots of people think cooking is all about complicated recipes, big cookbooks and arduous effort. Really it's more of an innate thing.

Learning to cook is much more simple, so pay close attention to what I'm going to say. Are you listening?

Fry an egg and experiment with various seasoning. This will give you an idea of what flavours go well together which is the most important quality in cooking. Fry an egg, cut it in quarter, season each quarter differently. Try one with cayenne and, I dunno, chives? Just experiment with lots of seasoning combinations.

Then fry another egg and repeat the process. Keep frying eggs and experimenting until you get a good idea of what works. You can eat 3-4 eggs in a day, heck you're from Veeky Forums so probably 6+. If you eat 6 eggs in a day, that's 24 egg quarters, 24 seasoning combinations in a day. You're talkng about 1000 seasoning combinations in just over a month.

At this stage you'll be a spicemaster and what/how you cook wont matter because you'll be better at seasoning than 99% of professional chefs, and this WILL make you a good cook.

Really? What's your explanation? It just happened through random chance or was the will of god?

i mostly use sm oriental curry powder, turmeric, garlic, onion powder, red pepper, chili, cumin, cilantro, ginger, and sesame. there's also a Jamaican store nearby with a lot of good spice blends like for jerk chicken, if you're in a place with a West Indian market stock up on any spices they got. it's fucking magical.

Yeah kind of learned that from my grandparents. My grandad grew up during the depression and they didn't waste shit. Meat gone off? Cook it longer. Produce going bad? Cut around the bad part. That sort of stuff. Grossed me out at first but I got used to it.

How many teaspoons of each should I add? I have all of those things aside from the last.

it's not really something you measure out at least in my opinion. usually i just give it a good dusting, and then it's trial and error from there. add a bit more until it tastes good, and then just try to remember how much you added for future reference

OP, it might not be what you want to hear....but slow down. Stop stocking up.
Buy seasonings as you need them. You find a recipe you want to do, and then you pick up what you don't already have in the pantry. This is how you reinforce what you learn from the recipe and if you'll repeat it.

For meat seasoning, go ahead and buy blends you want to try. Most of them are not even $1 more than if you bought separate ingredients. Eventually you'll figure out if you would buy that blend a second time if you liked it.

For blends, I own a few for being my favorites:
Lawrys for homemade fries
Tony Cachere's goes on top of rice casseroles, sometimes on meat
Krazy Jane's mixed up salt rims the glass of a bloody mary, and enjoyed on top of cottage cheese
Tajin is chili-lime-salt good for topping fruit, corn on the cob, margarita glass, and occasional mexican dish if I'm out of limes.
Montreal steak seasoning, quick coarse grind to rub on meat on the grill (I grill probably 2-3x week)
Jerk seasoning by Badia. Rub on a pork roast, or chicken breast for quick cheat jerk dinner.
Mrs Dash.

I do think wet marinades can be better if you are simply going to consider flavor. Chimmichurri, jerk marinade, escabeche, peter luger steak sauce, heck just some smashed garlic and balsamic and olive oil, with your own cracked pepper, and herbs.

After you make a few favorites you'll have your collection of must haves, whether it's herbes du provence, or hungarian paprika.

Grew up in Cuba, live in California. This is my "base" recipe, I always modify it on my mood.

>1 part Oregano
>1 part Red Pepper Flakes
>2 part Garlic Powder
>2 part Onion Powder
>2 part Paprika
>6 part Cumin
>6 part Cayenne
>12 part Chili Powder
>Salt to taste
>Pepper to taste
>2 Limes squeezed per pound of meat
>Diced Tomato to taste

>cook meat in butter untill browned
>put in a cup of mixed powder and cup of water per pound of meat, put in tomatos, turn heat to very low and cover
>"stir" by moving pan around every 5 minutes cook, 15 or 20 minutes cook total
>strain

You can reduce spices, people say it's too hot sometimes, but I love it.

I never really measure it. I give it a good amount of cumin, and then the garlic, and onion. Don't use a lot of onion though, because it can get too much pretty easily. I would say I use about half as much chili powder as I do cumin, and just a touch of cayenne for heat.

If you're using fresh onion and garlic, I would say maybe a quarter of a medium onion and a clove or two of garlic, and cook those a bit before you add your meat.

Sorry if that's not much help, I never usually measure my spices when I cook.

What do you guys use to store your spices? Should I get jars with sealed, air-right lids to keep humidity out? What vessels do you guys use for storage, any recommendations?