Hey, I recently did some tests for a government agency...

Hey, I recently did some tests for a government agency, among those tests were an intelligence test and in that test I got the question:

>"If you have a constant flow of water from a tap and you were to place an electrically charged bit of steel right next to waterflow, what would happen?"

I had some alternatives which I don't really remember, but some of them were:
>The water will arch out toward the steel
>The water will turn a different colour in the vicinity of the steel

I have no slightest idea what would happen, but out of cheer curiosity, what whould happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w8Z7HuA07to
twitter.com/AnonBabble

would*

I don't know because I only know pure math and not physics/chemistry

Well, shit.

The water will arch towards the steel.

probably nothing will happen.

nothing would happen.
The only possibility would be something related to electric charge, which is nullified by the conductive property of the steel bar.

youtube.com/watch?v=w8Z7HuA07to

What is static electricity?

when was the last time you saw a solid piece of metal with a static charge? If it's conductive, the charge will not stay localized. The phrasing in the OP "electrically charged bit of steel" sounds more like it is hooked up to a battery so that the water and the metal so that if the steel WERE touching the water, current would flow from the water to the metal or vice versa.

>If it's conductive, the charge will not stay localized
What are capacitors, retard.

OP, it will bend towards the steel.

You won't have a field inside the conductor but you can have a charge on the conductor and a field outside of it.

I didn't see the rod part, assumed that a balloon was used. The static electricity thing bending water is like elementary school science stuff.

>OP, it will bend towards the steel.

why? Water molecules are dipoles, but in normal conditions they're randomly oriented, nothing would happen

If you introduce a field they orient! Hence the bending effect.

It's stupid they consider this "intelligence." This isn't any sort of deductive problem solving. You either were educated about electromagnetism, or you weren't.

you're right, my bad

how big would your field need to be to notice it with your naked eye?

Not huge, you can try it yourself although it's going to be easier for you to charge a plastic rod or something.

Small actually. You can do this with a balloon or piece of plastic rubbed in dry hair

not bend droplets has surface-tension left is pressure

>yfw when they are testing his general educational background and not his IQ

doesn't take a genius to figure it out, they give the ASVAB to retards, after all...