Cook Along

It's been forever since I did one of these...

So, cook along thread! Today's recipe will be a Tiramisù cake (requested IRL as a birthday cake)

Ingredients :

>For the syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 freshly brewed espresso
1/3 cup rum
1/3 cup water

>For the cake
1/3 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream
450g mascarpone cheese
1 1/2 tea spoon vanilla extract.
45 ladyfingers (approx)
1-2 table spoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water for the syrup. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar.

2. While the sugar is melting, brew the coffee.

3. Pour the coffee into the sugar syrup and set aside to cool to room temperature.

4. In a heat proof bowl combine the sugar and egg yolks for the filling.

5. Whisk together until the sugar is fully dissolved and the color lightens (2 minutes or so).

6. Pour about 2 inches of water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Put the bowl over the saucepan (making sure the bottom doesn't touch the water) and heat the egg yolks while whisking continually until tripled in volume and thick (8-10 minutes).

7. Remove the eggs from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Add the rum to the coffee syrup.

8, While the eggs are cooling whip the heavy cream.

9. In the bowl of a mixer, combine the mascarpone cheese and the vanilla extract. Whip together until fluffy.

It's been a while since I made it, I'll try it and post the results sometime this week if the thread is still around.

10. The eggs should be cool by now. The picture isn't clear, but they will have continued to thicken as they cool, turning into a nice ribbon texture.

What is a heat proof bowl?

11. Add the eggs to the mascarpone

Nice! Looking forward to it.

Something that will not melt when you put it over the steaming water (so made of metal or glass, not plastic)

Forgot the picture...

12. Beat until well combined and smooth.

13. Remove from the mixer and fold in the whipped cream with a spatula.

14. Assembly time!

Pour the coffee syrup in a large shallow plate (here, I'm using a pie plate)

15. Soak lady fingers one or two at a time and line the bottom of an 8x8 pyrex baking dish.

Note : 9x9 would probably yield a cleaner result, but 8x8 is what I have so meh.

16. Spread 1/3 of the filling over the ladyfingers.

17. Repeat with more cookies.

18. Spread over 1/2 of the remaining filling.

19. Last layer of cookies

20. Bang the dish a bit on the counter to make everything settle then add as much of the filling as will fit (here is the reason for the note about the dish's size).

Wipe anything that spilled over, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and preferably over night.

21. When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and dust cocoa over the surface.

21. Spoon out into portions and enjoy!

Vertical

neat. thanks.

You're welcome.

that looks heavenly

looks like fishfingers

>tiramisu is actually a charlotte ripoff
wut

Where did you buy your lady fingers?

Italian grocery store next to the farmer's market I frequent.

I would not recommend that swap ;)

It is.

Not quite, Charlotte would have the lady fingers around the perimeter of the cake but actual sponge cake in between layers of mousse-like filling. The ladyfingers remain somewhat firm whereas in Tiramisu they absorb both the liquid and the cheese filling.

My mother's charlotte always used ladyfingers in the middle. My local restaurants' tiramisu usually has a sponge cake-like texture. Maybe both are valid variation on the theme for the individual recipes, though.

Perhaps. I've seen "moka java" cakes with sponge cake in the layers which is very similar.

holy SHIT, looks amazing OP, great job

Thanks!

Morning bump for OC.

Will you post some more recipes?

I used to make a thread once a week. If I have the energy I might start doing that again.

You should. It was a pretty bleak summer for OC.

Looks tasty--will def try this one.

Thanks! I haven't been around much this summer. It was that bad?

Looks delicious.
Quality thread, would bump again.

I was actually about to make a tiramisu last night but decided to make it today instead. Looks really good, OP, it's giving me the push I need. Also, did you let it sit overnight so the ladyfingers soak?

Yup. On step 20 ;)

Left it to soak overnight.

What happened to vertical recipes threads?

Don't know. I always post a vertical when making OC threads. I think most of the "let's dump our folder here" threads died out because people kept being redirected to the booru?

Booru is pretty dead, haven't seen anything new added. Shame.

>tiramisù
>cake

I think I am the main uploader and I was away from the Internet most of the summer. If you have new ones point me to them (or I guess I could make a thread asking for them) and I will upload/tag away.

Since this is basically the only step one could fuck up, could you give more instruction on how much to soak the cookies?

Until they feel wet, but not enough for them fall apart? So 2-3 seconds per side? It is kinda hard to put in words.

desu i prefer soaking the ladyfingers in amaretto but live your dream

My brother is asking that next time I use coffee liquor because he dislikes rum. So really, whatever booze you like will work.

Soo, suddenly I got the urge to go full meme so I will be making tiramusu panna cotta instead. Check back Thursday night for results.

Tiramisu panna cotta? I am.. intriguied?