What are some Veeky Forums approved podcasts?

What are some Veeky Forums approved podcasts?

Other urls found in this thread:

thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/551/good-guys-2015?act=4
cigan.in/
itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/enjoy-the-silence-podcast/id1116822143
openculture.com/freeonlinecourses
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>podcasts
>not listening to audio of qualified professors lecturing

fuck you you fucking sack of shit motherfucking piece of fucking shit i hope you fucking die of fucking aids you otherfucking cunt, die you shit head fuck of and fie fie fei die die die. DIEEEEEE!!!!

the flophouse is fun and savage love is ok

Hardcore History maybe?

Oh christ no, do you actually listen to that pop garbage?

bookworm

Waking up with Sam Harris

has nothing to do with Veeky Forums but

MBMBaM, Hollywood Handbook, and Mike and Tom Eat Snacks are patrician podcasts.

Comedy bang bang varies wildly depending on the guest, but its highs are frequent and very high

also for Veeky Forums approved:

the Slate Audio Book Club episodes with Stephen Metcalfe are based

In Our Time

memes aside, this podcast is actually pretty good.

Well do you have any that's free to use? I used to listen to some lecturer talking about 19th century history that was super interesting but unfortunately all the videos were taken down.

I gave this guy a try a year ago and I got the impression that he's very melodramatic in a typical american way, where the audience is expected to have adhd and can't enjoy the subject in itself without it being told like it's some movie.

100% agree with this

Probably as Veeky Forums as you can get.

theres one called Book Fights that isnt bad

>Well do you have any that's free to use?

Yeah tons all over youtube from various institutions big and small, not even worth listing individual ones just search "[topic] lecture" and you'll find a few

"smartest man in the world" greg proops isn't patrician persae in literature but well rounded and ok in the classics

"manbuycow"

"TankRiot" has beautiful roundtable on a single topic

"a twilight world of ultimate smoothness" is a 6 part audio miniseries that is the best produced podcast I've ever heard that's not BritBroadCorp

comfy is Cake and Cookies, Tony Perkins Show, Cartoon Retrocast, donandmikewebsite dot com... I like audio

Which Bookworm is it, the KCRW one?
There's a lot of of podcasts with "bookworm" in the title.

i am a person on Veeky Forums. i like radiolab. radiolab is now Veeky Forumsapproved.

Revolutions

I understand the appeal of In Our Time. It's unabashedly highbrow and it deals with tons of interesting subjects. They get some incredible guests too (especially on the early ones). But I've found, if I'm going to honestly compare it to other great podcasts out there, it can't stand up to This American Life or Radiolab, for example. It's not as entertaining, and often you don't feel you've learned as much as you thought you should.

That's just my opinion.

>"smartest man in the world"

I used to listen to this but had to stop because the smugness that he put on was too much. The way he'd drawl his voice out in that permanently self-satisfied snark... He was always trying to be "witty" instead of simply funny and was convinced that he was killing it with his witticisms every time. He'd laugh harder at his wit than the audience would most of the time.

I listen to In Our Time, Nature Podcast, and This American Life most every week.

Hollywood Handbook, CBB, some of the other comedy podcasts are OK background noise, but I only put them on every once in a while. Same with the wrestling podcasts (yes I enjoy mandrama).

New Yorker Fiction and Clarkesworld are decent short story podcasts, but I can only really pay attention to them while driving. Hardcore History would be a lot better if he cut them up into shorter, more focused episodes. Radiolab has drastically declined in quality for some reason.

Sam Harris, Joe Rogan, or any shit like that is plain horrible. Anything that just reviews TV shows or movies is horrible too.

In Our Time is the only Veeky Forums consensus then.

It isn't really comparable to This American Life or Radiolab since they're usually way more focused on story-telling than informing. I agree they are easier to listen to though.

Endlessly entertaining

The Mayan episode of in our time with the extras was the best.

If you're a fan of Tolkien, The Tolkien Professor is a terrific podcast

re:Joyce

I listen to stuff on the Relay, Idle Thumbs, and NPR/PRI networks.

Home of the Brave, hosted by Scott Carrier. This segment he did for This American Life is what hooked me thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/551/good-guys-2015?act=4 (starts at 38:30).

ye the kcrw one

silverblatts a god

the one with I think him and Katie Roiphe shitting on Beloved for an hour made me hate him, but I might be over it

they've been doing too much boring ass nonfiction this year

he's terrible to listen to if you have any familiarity with the subject, not because the facts are exactly wrong but bc of the story he wants to tell/who he thinks matters...like he spent 80% of his time talking about the Russian Revolution was too mean to Czar "kill the jews" Nicholas II
the one off on the take over of a city in 14th(?) century Germany by religious psychotics is a good starting place

>shitting on Beloved for an hour made me hate him
>boring ass nonfiction

wew lass

>radiolab
>good
you had me laffin son
4/4

if they had anything insightful to say fine, but it was a bitch sesh of them in bad faith saying that everyone was lying about liking Morrison and whining about pc police 5 years before it came back in style

Milquetoast discussions about Boring Book About Criticism, Lab Gal, Touching Memoir by attractive 30-40 year old successful and beloved man who is rapidly and unexpectedly dying (a version of this gets published every 3 years) is not riveting.

Ive been looking for podcasts pertaining to philosophy, physics, visual arts or anthropology but those topics seem to be dominated by monotonous old british people help

Read books, niggers. One of the reasons I read is so I can enjoy silence.

Is this legit?
Should I start at episode 1 or just pick and choose?

I've been doing this on my walks, it's great.

Just torrent them.

CHAPO TRAP HOUSE

I listen to Duncan Trussell Family Hour unironically

Chapo Trap House

Aww shit son

If any of you philistines listened to HoPWAG it would also enjoy consensus.

Check out Partially examined life for a great philosophy podcast. 3-4 Americans discussing at length (usually the episodes are 2 hours long) about some philosophic work.

Agreed.

This American Life is the epitome of middlebrow mediocrity; I don't find it entertaining at all. It's a series of suburban insights into topics most of the guests, and the hosts for that matter, have an extremely limited knowledge of. The stories are predictable and the presenters' attitude toward their narratives and ideas borders on portentous. I can't stand the pseudo-sincere conversations with all the pauses and the excessive discourse markers that are clearly rehearsed, or Ira Glass's nauseating, nasal voice.

Start at episode 1 and follow along. Episodes only cover a few sentences at a time so you can't really skip around very well. I'm through the first two chapters and love it but I haven't really been listening for the last year or so.

cigan.in/
itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/enjoy-the-silence-podcast/id1116822143

we talk memes mostly but we might start books

In Our Time is the only podcast I listen to. Topics on a lot of interesting things, guests know their shit, and mostly everyone has a nice comfy voice.

Although I'll check out this one because it looks nice. And I might as well finally listen to that History of Philosophy podcast everyone raves about.

that criticism applies to some TAL segments, sure. But a great deal of them are masterfully put together.

openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

A Prarie Home Companion is GOAT for the essence of American literature.

Kulturkampf

This

The only ones I listen to regularly are In Our Time, Myths & Legends and Samurai Archives. I'd recommend them all.

I like PEL a lot. Recently they had John Searle as a guest, that was fun.

I lost a good deal of respect for Searle after listening to his lectures. He is pedagogically incapable of the principle of charity and his grasp of opposing positions is incoherent enough that I'm surprised he's been able to make it as far in his career as he has.

history of philosophy without any gaps

These

You don't like?

>Implying they are mutually exclusive

I know what you mean about Searle. If he were 60 years younger we would be calling him a braindead stemcuck in those shit posting threads Veeky Forums makes on occasion.